Menu

Pi Day Ideas

Earthmerlin

Make sure he understand what pi actually is: the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.  It's cool, because no matter which circle you choose, the circle around a tomato sauce can, the circle of a hula hoop, or anything in between, if you measure around its diameter  circumference it will be roughly 3 times the length of it's diameter.  Try it.  (That's your pi day activity right there.)

I was carpooling one of my dd's friends and she was proudly reciting the digits of pi.  But when I asked, she couldn't tell me what pi was.  So much for regular school.  

Edited by daijobu
  • Like 2

Make sure he understand what pi actually is: the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. It's cool, because no matter which circle you choose, the circle around a tomato sauce can, the circle of a hula hoop, or anything in between, if you measure around its diameter it will be roughly 3 times the length of it's diameter. Try it. (That's your pi day activity right there.)

I was carpooling one of my dd's friends and she was proudly reciting the digits of pi. But when I asked, she couldn't tell me what pi was. So much for regular school.

Yeah, that's the obvious 1st step.

Make sure he understand what pi actually is: the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.  It's cool, because no matter which circle you choose, the circle around a tomato sauce can, the circle of a hula hoop, or anything in between, if you measure around its diameter circumference (the outside part) it will be roughly 3 times the length of it's diameter.  Try it.  (That's your pi day activity right there.)

I was carpooling one of my dd's friends and she was proudly reciting the digits of pi.  But when I asked, she couldn't tell me what pi was.  So much for regular school.  

Fixed.

This year, the boys are racing to memorize the most digits of pi (with the goal being the first 314). The prize is $0.01 for every digit that is memorized correctly. So, if they get all 314, they get a whopping $3.14.

We'll do the whole pi-themed dinner at home. Pi-themed cut outs and circle shaped foods.

Edited by Gil
  • Like 2

All my ideas revolve around eating.  We'll do some calculating, too.  I have a book called Big Ideas for Small Mathematicians which has some neat ideas. 

It was hard to explain pi before Dd knew how to multiply by a decimal or fraction.  She's been eating pie on pi day for a while without fully understanding, but this is the year of understanding for her, I think.

• Like 2

There are a lot of things where you make Pi necklaces or chains - each digit is a different color. It's to emphasize the lack of pattern with the digits and/or help with memorization. I have mixed feelings about those, but for crafty kids, I think they're fun.

You could read the Sir Cumference books.

• Like 3

All my ideas revolve around eating. We'll do some calculating, too. I have a book called Big Ideas for Small Mathematicians which has some neat ideas.

It was hard to explain pi before Dd knew how to multiply by a decimal or fraction. She's been eating pie on pi day for a while without fully understanding, but this is the year of understanding for her, I think.

You don't need to understand the particulars of the numbers to learn about pi. That's the beauty behind the whole idea. I explore the idea of pi with students K-12 by using a ribbon, markers, a ruler and paper.

FIRST:

Teach the idea of circumference and diameter. Have kids trace several circles on paper or cardboard. Have them color the circumference in one color, and diameter in another.

SECOND:

Get a bunch of circular containers. Use a ribbon to measure the diameter, mark that in color on the ribbon. Then use another piece of ribbon and wrap that around the containers circumference, mark that in color on the ribbon.

Compare the lengths of ribbon. The diameter should fit in the circumference three times, with a little bit left over each time.

• Like 3

You don't need to understand the particulars of the numbers to learn about pi. That's the beauty behind the whole idea. I explore the idea of pi with students K-12 by using a ribbon, markers, a ruler and paper.

FIRST:

Teach the idea of circumference and diameter. Have kids trace several circles on paper or cardboard. Have them color the circumference in one color, and diameter in another.

SECOND:

Get a bunch of circular containers. Use a ribbon to measure the diameter, mark that in color on the ribbon. Then use another piece of ribbon and wrap that around the containers circumference, mark that in color on the ribbon.

Compare the lengths of ribbon. The diameter should fit in the circumference three times, with a little bit left over each time.

Yes, I think it was more a failure of how to teach on my part, and Ds6 will get a lot out of this year's fun, too.  Thank you for the ideas!!

FIRST:

SECOND:

I'm liking this ribbon idea!

There are a lot of things where you make Pi necklaces or chains - each digit is a different color. It's to emphasize the lack of pattern with the digits and/or help with memorization. I have mixed feelings about those, but for crafty kids, I think they're fun.

You could read the Sir Cumference books.

I have seen the bracelets. We shall see if it piques her interest. There's a 'pi city' whose buildings' heights are based on the numbers of pi.

We are for sure going to read Sir Cumference. There's another title re: pi, circumference, and diameter but the title escapes me now. I believe it's by the same author?

Apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate pie, lemon meringue pie...

Chx pot pie, beef pot pie (we often do this one mexican, with a cornbread crust), pizza pie...

For breakfast (in case the apple pie option doesn't suit you) , we make egg pie, a veggie and cheese quiche with a sausage crust. 

• Like 1

I have seen the bracelets. We shall see if it piques her interest. There's a 'pi city' whose buildings' heights are based on the numbers of pi.

We are for sure going to read Sir Cumference. There's another title re: pi, circumference, and diameter but the title escapes me now. I believe it's by the same author?

Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi

• Like 2