Menu

An opportunity?

I mentioned this on the International Homeschooler social group and I thought I'd post here incase someone is interested.

I've been tossing around the idea of planning a cultural/missions trip for homeschoolers here in Guatemala. Part of the time we would do outreaches to orphanages, hospitals, nursing homes, children's ministry, etc. The other part of the time we would take in some of the culture here--ruins, Mayan culture, museums, maybe some spanish lessons, etc.

We could have people stay at our base and the food would be prepared by a Guatemalan woman so you could try the cuisine! There was a question about food allergies and that wouldn't be an issue, we've worked with those before!

Anyway, what do you all think? Is this something that would be of interest to you and your dc? I was thinking of November of next year for about 10 days. Interested?

I mentioned this on the International Homeschooler social group and I thought I'd post here incase someone is interested.

I've been tossing around the idea of planning a cultural/missions trip for homeschoolers here in Guatemala. Part of the time we would do outreaches to orphanages, hospitals, nursing homes, children's ministry, etc. The other part of the time we would take in some of the culture here--ruins, Mayan culture, museums, maybe some spanish lessons, etc.

We could have people stay at our base and the food would be prepared by a Guatemalan woman so you could try the cuisine! There was a question about food allergies and that wouldn't be an issue, we've worked with those before!

Anyway, what do you all think? Is this something that would be of interest to you and your dc? I was thinking of November of next year for about 10 days. Interested?

I'm in! :) Do I have to bring my kids?! Just kidding. I'd love to visit another country for some mission work and learning.

Are you seriously offering?

Hmmmmmm......interest is piqued.

Classic Mom--that would be too cool to have someone on States-side who can handle the travel details from there. We'll have to keep in touch!

I'm hoping to make this a parent/child trip. I just think it would be such a great opportunity for parents to share this with their dc.

I am serious about this. It would be so much fun! We could have such a great time and the kids would be totally interested.

I was thinking on how this would work and I love the idea. Everyone could show up on either the morning or afternoon flight on the same day so we could transport everyone easily to the base. I would have an authentic Guatemalan meal for dinner that night along with orientation and a bonfire on the terrazza of the base.

Things that we would include are:

visiting some ruins (Mayan and otherwise)

climbing a volcano (or horseback riding if you prefer)

going to the volcanic lake near here to do some outreach into an indigenous community

orphanage work

work at a hospice for children with HIV

run a VBS at our base for the neighborhood kids

visit the market and buy crazy fruits and veggies to try!

work at a hospital for handicapped children

help to build a house for a homeless family (this is actually really easy!)

I could arrange for some Spanish lessons during this time as well.

As of right now, it's about $20 a day per person to stay at the base and that includes 2 meals. We would buy our own breakfast stuff and assign different people to make breakfast everyday. Lunch and dinner are included in the price. Use of the base van for some of the outreaches we would need a van for would be a little bit more. Some of the day trips would be a little more as well. I would find out how much all of that is and come up with a price per person.

As far as immunizations are concerned, you only need your basic shots. I would make sure your tetanus shot is updated. You don't need to worry about malaria or other things. Also, I would maybe make sure that your hepatitis is up to date. Otherwise, it's not a problem.

Age-wise I would just suggest that they can keep up for a day of ministry. We do a lot of walking, so that's an issue sometimes when it comes to age. You know your own dc. You can gague whether or not they can handle the schedule and the walking.

Edited by Dayle in Guatemala

What an awesome idea! Unfortunately, I think my kiddos are probably too young (although I may consider it for my ds who would be 8yo next year). I just want to say what a blessing this will be to families if you decide to pursue it.

We moved here when my ds was 7. He loves it! Just to let you know, that 8 wouldn't be too young in my opinion unless you think he might have a hard time with the schedule and keeping up? I don't know if my ds would have done well with it too much!

Dayle,

I love this idea! Pretty sure I won't make the HS trip next year, but I'm definitely returning to Guatemala for a mission trip July 11-18, 2009. I'll be in Antigua the last couple days of this trip and would love to look you up!

As to the trip, your mention of the volcano made me laugh. We "climbed" Pacaya when we were there. The kids followed us with the horses knowing we'd cave and some point...and we (most of us) did. I thoroughly enjoyed riding the horses up and down the mountain. Great fun. Amazing experience. I have the sneakers with the melted soles to prove the "adventure" of it!

Keep us posted on your thoughts/plans on this. I know some folks who might be very interested!

I'm so excited about the interest!!!!!!

I'm thinking November of next year (early Nov.) because the rainy season is done by then and it's better weather to do things. Also, it gives people a year to get passports, immunizations (if they need them), and raise the money they might need. It's also the down time for our base so we could easily accomodate the group without overlapping with other groups that come.

I'm going to start a social group for those who are interested so it's easier to keep up with the plans.

We moved here when my ds was 7. He loves it! Just to let you know, that 8 wouldn't be too young in my opinion unless you think he might have a hard time with the schedule and keeping up? I don't know if my ds would have done well with it too much!

Dayle, thanks for your thoughts on this. It is definitely something that I'm going to consider and talk over with hubby. I think it would be awesome if we can swing it. I'll join the social group (if I can figure out how) so I can keep up to date on the details as they are decided.

Thanks!