Menu

Dolciani books, did I get a good deal?

Okay, I found some Dolciani books at my local thrift store:

Modern Algebra Structure and Method, book 1, 1965 copyright

Modern Algebra and Trigonometry Structure and Method, Book 2, 1965 copyright

I got both of these for a grand total of $8.03. These are just the student books, no teacher manuals. I hope that is a good deal! I am looking for the pre-algebra book, if anyone would like to give me tips and pointers of where to look. I hadn't even decided what I would be doing for highschool level math, but just stumbled upon these.

For those of you who use the Dolciani sequence, do you just check e-bay and amazon all the time? Are there other places to look?

Thanks for any help!:)

Okay! Thanks! I'm not exactly sure what I'll use. I haven't thought this through a whole lot yet. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open. We will be doing Singapore Primary Math through 6b. If anyone has advice on what I would need to do as a bridge between Singapore and the Doliciani books, I would appreciate it!:)

ETA: Although dd is only in 5th grade, I would like to plan out our course, so we can stay on course!

Pat on the back from the Dolciani Proselytizer.

Job well done! Now welcome to the club (or is that cult)?

Jane

Good question. We could get draconian and do an exhautive study on the definitions and roots of the words club & cult, do a serious discussion on what those words mean today...

or not. Cult or club, neither word scares me.:D

I have a Dolciani Pre-Algebra (actually called Pre-Algebra) from 1970. The first unit is on set theory. I think it will work fine as an intro to the 60's Dolciani Algebra I and II.

Thanks, Melissa. This is what I wanted to know. I'll definitely need a bridge between Singapore 6b and Dolciani, if this is what I end up using in the end.

Jane in NC, I don't know if I'm part of the club just yet, although I would like to be. Of course, every Mom wants to use the very best there is, I just need to make sure I can teach the very best! :)

Oh, yes!! You got a great deal! I searched for used Dolciani books in our area with no luck, so I turned to the internet to make all of my purchases. On average, I spent about $40-$50 for each set: student text ($15) and teacher's edition ($25-$35). Here is a link I found on Amazon for a teacher's edition for Modern Algebra Book 1 by Dolciani:

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-algebra-Structure-method-Teachers/dp/B0007DU4SI/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226496220&sr=8-40

When I was looking for these items I would add this book to my wishlist and check on it every couple of days. Once someone listed a book, and I verified it was a true teacher's edition, I would buy it (depending on price and condition, of course).

My next step has been finding the solution keys to the books. During this process, I also stumbled across the Programmed Practice books and Progress Tests for the Dolciani series. There are many books and helps available for the Dolciani series; if you have a question, please feel free to ask.

I feel that my set is complete, and we will start our Dolciani math journey next year. The only thing that I would like to add is the solution manual for Modern Geometry. However, if this book doesn't turn up, I think I can make it work with the help of this board and my DH.

There are a few sellers who have these books priced unreasonably high on the internet. Even though they will come down on the price, I found that they really don't know what they are selling, so I would avoid them. PM me if you have a question about a purchase.

Good luck!

Oh, yes!! You got a great deal! I searched for used Dolciani books in our area with no luck, so I turned to the internet to make all of my purchases. On average, I spent about $40-$50 for each set: student text ($15) and teacher's edition ($25-$35). Here is a link I found on Amazon for a teacher's edition for Modern Algebra Book 1 by Dolciani:

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-algebra-Structure-method-Teachers/dp/B0007DU4SI/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226496220&sr=8-40

When I was looking for these items I would add this book to my wishlist and check on it every couple of days. Once someone listed a book, and I verified it was a true teacher's edition, I would buy it (depending on price and condition, of course).

My next step has been finding the solution keys to the books. During this process, I also stumbled across the Programmed Practice books and Progress Tests for the Dolciani series. There are many books and helps available for the Dolciani series; if you have a question, please feel free to ask.

I feel that my set is complete, and we will start our Dolciani math journey next year. The only thing that I would like to add is the solution manual for Modern Geometry. However, if this book doesn't turn up, I think I can make it work with the help of this board and my DH.

There are a few sellers who have these books priced unreasonably high on the internet. Even though they will come down on the price, I found that they really don't know what they are selling, so I would avoid them. PM me if you have a question about a purchase.

Good luck!

Thanks so much, Beth! I really should go find a public school math teacher around here and ask them if they have any Dolciani books collecting dust . . . I noticed that my copy is a public school copy from years ago as it had the school name stamped in it.

Now, to find the TMs! I appreciate all the info! Thanks for the approx. price range too. Now I'll know if a book is overpriced! As always, you're so helpful!:)

Thanks so much, Beth! I really should go find a public school math teacher around here and ask them if they have any Dolciani books collecting dust . . . I noticed that my copy is a public school copy from years ago as it had the school name stamped in it.

Now, to find the TMs! I appreciate all the info! Thanks for the approx. price range too. Now I'll know if a book is overpriced! As always, you're so helpful!:)

RG, if all else fails you and I can take a field trips to Jane's and Beth's and they can tutor us on how to teach Dolciani. :auto: Road trip!

I know NCSU had several copies of old Dolciani texts "gathering dust" in the Math Education library in the Math Ed department (as well as many other authors' books). If you have an "in" with a Math Ed professor, ask there. Or just call your nearest university and ask to speak with a math ed professor!

Lori

When you went to check, did you go to your wishlist? Did the wishlist have mention of copies that had come up for sale? I've never used this feature before.

When you went to check, did you go to your wishlist? Did the wishlist have mention of copies that had come up for sale? I've never used this feature before.

Hi Karin,

The Amazon wishlist helps me to bookmark the books that I'm interested in buying. Sellers can always list the same book with a slightly different title, so you still have to search for new titles added, but sometimes a seller will just add a book for sale to an existing book description. Therefore, I utilize the wishlist to help me monitor existing books that I'm looking for on Amazon.

Once I have my wishlist established, I go there 2 or 3 times a week. When you pull up the list, you can scan the selections for used book prices. Right now, the Modern Algebra book I linked before will show that none are available, but when a seller adds a book to that description, a used book price is also added. Once you've looked at your list a couple of times, it is obvious when a change is made to the existing entry because a used book price will show up.

Unfortunately, the book descriptions on Amazon do not show previous history of the books offered for sale, sold, or removed. I was able to find the majority of my Dolciani books on Amazon using this system.

Take care,

Beth

RG, if all else fails you and I can take a field trips to Jane's and Beth's and they can tutor us on how to teach Dolciani. :auto: Road trip!

I don't think I'm qualified to tutor anyone to teach math, but we can all take a roadtrip to Jane's. I hear NC is beautiful this time of year.

Now if you want to just talk about math in general and preview the Dolciani books I found, come on over; I'll have the tea and dessert ready.

Take care,

Beth

Hi Karin,

The Amazon wishlist helps me to bookmark the books that I'm interested in buying.

Take care,

Beth

Thanks. I just wonder how many ways people spell Dolciani. I have three of the four books I want on my new wish list, but one didn't appear at all, so I'm not sure if I can add that. This will certainly help me since I no longer have to search to find the books to see if they're up for sale.

Thanks, Melissa. This is what I wanted to know. I'll definitely need a bridge between Singapore 6b and Dolciani, if this is what I end up using in the end.

Jane in NC, I don't know if I'm part of the club just yet, although I would like to be. Of course, every Mom wants to use the very best there is, I just need to make sure I can teach the very best! :)

Singapore 6 didn't result in as much facility in fractions, decimals, and factoring as I wanted, but the first few chapters of NEM emphasizes this.

On the other hand, Our 60s algebra book teaches radicals and negatives from scratch. It also teaches the logic, set theory, and terms from scratch which are needed to understand the explanations, theorems, and proofs.

I have a Dolciani Pre-Algebra (actually called Pre-Algebra) from 1970. The first unit is on set theory. I think it will work fine as an intro to the 60's Dolciani Algebra I and II.

This is what we did, and it worked well. We wandered through the pre-algebra book shoring up what needed to be shored up, tackling any concepts Singapore hadn't taught, etc.

This is what we did, and it worked well. We wandered through the pre-algebra book shoring up what needed to be shored up, tackling any concepts Singapore hadn't taught, etc.

I think this is what I'll do. And, I found this book for $8 including postage. Glad it worked out for you, Mama Lynx. Did you find a TM to go with the book?

• 6 months later...
Guest cherrypits

Can either of these texts be used successfully independently without the Teacher's Guide or Solutions Guide? I'm not willing to pay the high prices for these guides. It seems to me that if there were enough examples to teach the concept and a student got a problem wrong, he could go back and study the example and wrestle with the problem until he arrives at the right answer. It seems that they would be forced to think rather than being able to look at the solution when stumped. Has anyone done this?

Lisa

Singapore 6 didn't result in as much facility in fractions, decimals, and factoring as I wanted, but the first few chapters of NEM emphasizes this.

On the other hand, Our 60s algebra book teaches radicals and negatives from scratch. It also teaches the logic, set theory, and terms from scratch which are needed to understand the explanations, theorems, and proofs.

Hey, Myrtle! So nice to see you! :seeya: