Menu

Need Orthopedic Shoes for Father

SimonJoshep

My father is a diabetic patient and his doctor suggested him to exercise daily specially jogging in park or any good relaxing environment. Recently my father diagnosed with plantar fasciitis problem and simple running shoes is creating pain while jogging. We asked for doctor, he recommended to buy orthopedic shoes for plantar fasciitis that have specially created for diabetic patients that have orthotic insoles with good cushioning support.

I am looking for suggestions from where I can buy this type shoes or which one is good for him.

Did you already look for running shoes at a sporting goods store? They carry better models with more arch support than department or plain old mall shoe stores. A knowledgeable shoe salesperson can be very helpful. My P.F. only got better with rest, wearing a boot at night to keep the foot flexed correctly, and NOT being on my feet for a few months while it got better :-( I do not think any shoe will enable your dad to jog until the P.F. is resolved, alas (I would love to be proved wrong, I am just coming off my own experience with plantar f.)

My running shoes (currently I am having success with Asics brand, probably misspelled that) run $100 or more. The model numbers run over 1000 - most stores like Kohls etc. only carry up to around model numbers in the 800s or lower - less support. Note this is model number, not price ;-). And - sporting goods stores can have last years models on sale - so I usually get my running shoes for less than $80. unfortunately the colors tend to be wild - oh well. I then get the $20 full sole high arch support inner soles and rip out the shoe liner and replace it (a lot of the arch support is built into the entire shoe - by replacing the inner sole you are just upping the amount of support). I get these at Amazon: Sof Sole Arch Full Length Comfort High Arch Shoe Insole for Men and Women.

Note, too - with PF best to wear those running shoes with the extra arch support ALL THE TIME not just for jogging. No bare feet, no house-slippers (unless you get extra high arch insoles for them, too) etc.

This is what I wore at night on my worse foot (otherwise I tend to point my toes while sleeping - most folks do - this is BAD for the P.F.) Plantar Fasciitis Posterior Night Splint- Large (Colors May Vary)

He may need to do lap swimming for exercise instead of jogging while his feet get better. When he does go back to jogging, and indoor track or outside on dirt or grass is easier on the feet than sidewalks or street.

I know a young lady who used to do gymnastics and she had to have custom arch supports made, they were metal and she could move them from shoe to shoe. Insurance may cover something like that?

Edited by JFSinIL

I think, too, that you have two problems here - first is the diabetes. He was told to jog. Now he has Planar F-i can never spell this. This means do NOT jog for a while. Even with the best arch support now he has to give his feet a couple months to heal. Otherwise he could make the PF worse.

Find him a lap pool. Swimming is easy on the feet - although in my case even walking barefoot from changing room to pool hurt :-( so then I was looking for orthopedic plastic/rubber pool shoes - also at sporting goods store.

• Like 2

I think, too, that you have two problems here - first is the diabetes. He was told to jog. Now he has Planar F-i can never spell this. This means do NOT jog for a while. Even with the best arch support now he has to give his feet a couple months to heal. Otherwise he could make the PF worse. Find him a lap pool. Swimming is easy on the feet - although in my case even walking barefoot from changing room to pool hurt :-( so then I was looking for orthopedic plastic/rubber pool shoes - also at sporting goods store.

I agree.  I think jogging would be pretty terrible under the circumstances.  Maybe try an exercise bike.

• Like 1

I would look at

https://www.healthyfeetstore.com/

You can use the search feature to look for exactly the kind of shoe you are looking for. They have categories for plantar fasciitis, diabetes, arch support....etc. Try narrowing the search to find exactly what you are looking for.

My son has serious foot and ankle problems, and we have started using this website for all of his shoe needs and have been happy.

Edited by Okra

I would look at

https://www.healthyfeetstore.com/

You can use the search feature to look for exactly the kind of shoe you are looking for. They have categories for plantar fasciitis, diabetes, arch support....etc. Try narrowing the search to find exactly what you are looking for.

My son has serious foot and ankle problems, and we have started using this website for all of his shoe needs and have been happy.

Yes its helpful I also found orthofeet.com for the shoes that I want and other suggestion are helpful as well but I guess I must visit a store with Father to buy orthopedic shoes so that salesperson can guide us more well rather then we just offer it online and don't get the product we actually want.

Thanks to all for valuable suggestion