Menu

Physical Science a new requirement for Ohio graduation?

My son will be in 9th grade next fall, so I am just beginning to plan out his high school courses. I decided to get started by looking at the Ohio graduation requirements for those graduating in 2019 and beyond. Ohio requires 3 science credits and I'm quoting what is written on the Education department's website:

3 Science units must include one unit of physical sciences, one unit of life sciences and one unit of advanced study in one or more of the following sciences: chemistry, physics or other physical science; advanced biology or other life science; astronomy, physical geology or other earth or space science.

I have always heard that most colleges don't count physical science as a high school credit. My son is taking physical science this year in 8th grade, but I haven't been giving him tests or other grades in order to make it count for a transcript.

My plan was to do biology, chemistry, and physics, and maybe another science if needed. (My son has no interest in science or math, although he is quite proficient at it)

What do you think? Is it really saying that physical science is required? Should I go back and give my son tests so that I can count this year as his requirement and have an actual grade?

Thanks for your help!

"An advanced course contains content beyond that required by the OGT and is designed around benchmarks at the 11th and/or 12th grade Ohio Academic Content Standards in Science."

I googled and found a few Ohio schools that have their students do bio/chem/phys so I'd say you're fine. 

• Like 1

In Ga, Physical Science is eligible for high school credit, and 4 are needed. For my son, he'll have:

1- physical science (pre-high school)

1- biology

1- chemistry

1- anatomy and physiology (most likely. There's a long list of what can qualify as a fourth science)

Maybe .5 of earth science, if I choose to include it.

But in your case, I agree with the others: it seems Ohio does not count Physical Science the course, but other courses which are catergorized in the physical sciences.

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

"Physical science" is a course in many states so I wouldn't be surprised if they also count it. However, it tends to be the lowest level high school course, which is why many colleges don't "count" it. My guess from the Ohio requirements would be that physics, chemistry, OR a generalized physical sciences course would all count for that requirement, but that the advanced study requirement is meant to make sure that a student doesn't take that lower level physical sciences requirement followed by the lowest level of high school biology. They have to then follow it up with a class that builds on those, such as chemistry or physics.

• Like 1

It says "one unit of physical sciences", not "a course in "Physics Science"".

This means the student can take physics or chemistry which are physical sciences; it does not mean the student must take a "physical science" course.

this is standard wording in many college admissions requirements.

• Like 2

"Physical science" is a course in many states so I wouldn't be surprised if they also count it. However, it tends to be the lowest level high school course, which is why many colleges don't "count" it. My guess from the Ohio requirements would be that physics, chemistry, OR a generalized physical sciences course would all count for that requirement, but that the advanced study requirement is meant to make sure that a student doesn't take that lower level physical sciences requirement followed by the lowest level of high school biology. They have to then follow it up with a class that builds on those, such as chemistry or physics.

That would be my guess. Or especially that they don't end up with something like a 9th grade earth science/general science as their 3rd science, followed by a 9th grade physical science and a 10th grade biology. 

• Like 2

That would be my guess. Or especially that they don't end up with something like a 9th grade earth science/general science as their 3rd science, followed by a 9th grade physical science and a 10th grade biology. 

I think my own high school science sequence was similar back in the day. If you were a weak science student but prefered biology, you could still do 9th grade physical science, 10th grade bio, and then anatomy and physiology, which had a prereq of biology, but a non-AP option. I did do chemistry and not physical science, but I didn't want to do physics, so that's what I did. Then I doubled up on AP's in the humanities and social sciences, which all turned out fine for getting into college.