Menu

Menu planning for a teen party - want to help?

Spryte

DS is having a steampunk murder mystery party, the theme is back in time for murder.

We need help with a menu. Dinner is suggested, but we could just do finger foods and desserts. Fun steampunk or historical names that fit with the foods are a huge bonus.

I’m normally all about party planning but we’ve had some recent crises and I need to keep this as easy as possible.

Here’s the challenge:

We can’t have peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, avocado, banana or lentils even in the house.

He is also allergic to (but I could serve to other kids) wheat, dairy, eggs.

Foods that go over well with his friends: pizza (I make safe for DS), chili, chips and salsa. I’d like some different ideas, but I’m stumped.

Any inspiration would be appreciated!

• Like 2

Maybe you could serve chips, salsa, and some other dip(s) in some sort of weird contraption?

Otherwise I am a bit stumped. What is the murder mystery about? Maybe that would help with some ideas...

It’s set in the future, and people from the past are being brought to the future - it has characters with names like Alfred Einstein, Merry Monroe, Madra Hari, Renbrant, William Shadespeare.

Maybe draw some of your inspiration from the steam theme-- a la cookingwithsteam.com/

Steamed Salmon with a Side of Punk? (Salmon with some type of spicy/savory sauce on the side)

A steamed pudding like Plum Pudding: Professor Plum's Pudding to hint at the mystery theme.

That is a great idea!

Maybe something cool looking with Jello? You could give it a Jetson-like look or something space-blue and maybe suspend something nifty in it?

Or you could choose a dish/snack for each of the main characters and make something that goes with it. Like a pizza that looks like a painter's palette for Renbrant or something like this the party paper desert plate I found when googling to put something on? Or something mathy for Einstein - maybe something with numbers or dice or something like that?

• Like 1

I think stuff like this is cool, but it is way too much work and stress for me. 

So, most of our teen parties - we have food that is easy on me - taco/burrito bar, pizza (usually cheese and meat and veggie ones), one time we did chili, one time I did lasagna (probably store bought) or chicken/rice/broccoli/cheese casserole. 

• Like 4

Maybe something cool looking with Jello? You could give it a Jetson-like look or something space-blue and maybe suspend something nifty in it?

Or you could choose a dish/snack for each of the main characters and make something that goes with it. Like a pizza that looks like a painter's palette for Renbrant or something like this the party paper desert plate I found when googling to put something on? Or something mathy for Einstein - maybe something with numbers or dice or something like that?

Yes! Thank you! Now I can feel my brain working. We must be party planning sisters. :) ...I was so stuck earlier, and now I can see possibilities. Wheeee!

Keep ‘em coming, love the ideas!

• Like 1

I think stuff like this is cool, but it is way too much work and stress for me.

So, most of our teen parties - we have food that is easy on me - taco/burrito bar, pizza (usually cheese and meat and veggie ones), one time we did chili, one time I did lasagna (probably store bought) or chicken/rice/broccoli/cheese casserole.

Hahahahaha, I totally get that. :) I would so love to buy storebought stuff. Alas, with multiple LTFAs our family has to modify most things to keep everyone breathing. Blech! And sort of related ... DS adores big elaborate events but many times they are rife with his anaphylactic allergens, so I started planning these crazy big parties every year. Little did I know I’d enjoy it as much as I (normally) do. This year is harder, as we’ve had major crises in the last three mos, but I want to do this for him.

I wonder if I could do chili or lasagna with a steampunk feel? Or maybe pizza that has some toppings thrown on to look like gears? Hmmmmmm....

You guys are great! Thanks.

How about some cool, mad scientist Alfred Einstein-cocktail? You could probably look at Halloween drinks for some inspiration. Or a Merry Monroe salad? Small pizzas in letter shapes for Shakespeare? So much fun planning a party like that (I am unfortunately not so good with the follow-through).

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

• Like 2

Some inspiration. That theme seems a bit tricky!

https://www.birthdaydirect.com/search.php?search_query=steam%20punk&section=product

I might even be tempted to throw a Back to the Future reference in there lol.

Cool! I didn’t even dare to hope there might be premade stuff out there. Whew! That’s cool.

Like the charms, too. :)

• Like 1

How about some cool, mad scientist Alfred Einstein-cocktail? You could probably look at Halloween drinks for some inspiration. Or a Merry Monroe salad? Small pizzas in letter shapes for Shakespeare? So much fun planning a party like that (I am unfortunately not so good with the follow-through).

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

I’m loving these ideas. Wow, so cool.

I’ve been checking out Pinterest and finding some ideas, and some virgin cocktails that might be fun - punch type stuff.

Merry Monroe salad is a must!

• Like 1

Monkey Platters. I learned about them during my radical unschooling days. This is Sandra Dodd's site but has lots of cool ideas. Also, you can probably google for them too. Maybe some of the suggestions will jump out at you. Whenever my teens had friends over, I would make a couple of monkey platters and they'd gobble up everything.

• Like 1

(307) Pinterest  With that kind of victorian thing, I think anything typical teen that you can do into chunks/pieces would be good. Like sandwhiches cut up or rice krispy treats cut up. 

I've done a number of themed parties for my dd over the years, and sometimes I used kits from My Mystery Party: Murder Mystery Parties They usually come with food recs. We did Indian (like curry, food from an Indian grocery, dessert treats from the Indian grocery, etc) for a party. It does seem like you've got a hollywood glam thing going, so food that shimmers and sparkles and is metallicky would be fun. Jello, anything wrapped like candies wrapped in metallic papers. Grapes are pretty glam when cut into little bunches. 

The big sleeper for my parties has been milkshakes. Such a simple thing, and they go over HUGE. I think maybe I'd do orange push pops or something sort of techy and mechanical like that, ice cream on a stick, kwim? You want to run with the cogs and techy side of it.

I love the idea of using the characters to theme the food. The Merry Monroe salad, no clue what that is but it sounds good. Something with a voluptuous dressing. :D  Um, for the Shakespeare, something speared through. There are tons of daggers in Shakespeare, so you could wrap weanies in bacon in a crockpot and impale them. Madra Hari how about meatballs with a mysterious, possibly deadly sauce? When all else fails, do something normal (green beans, whatever) and put Murderous in front. 

Someone mentioned fowl. You could call it Fowl Play and serve just plain baked chicken. That would work for all the allergies at least.

Einstein's hair could probably translate into food. Something crazy and fluffy. 

• Like 1

It’s teenagers. They care more about mass quantities of familiar foods than clever themes. I’d serve the normal pizza/chips/salsa stuff, but maybe steampunk the salsa container or make the pizza dough a weird shape. Maybe get your “serving dishes†at the hardware store. Something’s bound to catch your eye. Or serve your chips in a plastic top hat.

• Like 1