Menu

Tell me what butcher knife to buy

katilac

dh hacked away at completely frozen gumbo and broke the tip of our butcher knife  :001_rolleyes:

I bought a quick replacement but I definitely need a better one. We've had this one since we got married 25 years ago, so I'm willing to pay a pretty good amount for a strong one that will last. 

3 . . . 2 . . . 1, spend my money! 

You mean a cleaver? Just go to a restaurant supply store and see which one feels the best to you. It will be meant for business and it will be less expensive than one you get in a kitchenware store.

After looking at examples, a chef's knife. Calling it a butcher knife must be regional.

What range are you looking at?  

Not budget. Forged for sure. Strong blade. And preferably lasting 25 years like the last one, lol. I can pay whatever amount gets me those features for a knife that will be used often in regular cooking for a home kitchen. It doesn't need to be fancy, pretty, or have unusual features. 

After looking at examples, a chef's knife. Calling it a butcher knife must be regional.

Not budget. Forged for sure. Strong blade. And preferably lasting 25 years like the last one, lol. I can pay whatever amount gets me those features for a knife that will be used often in regular cooking for a home kitchen. It doesn't need to be fancy, pretty, or have unusual features. 

Ah. Well, in that case, and particularly in light of the "money is no object" part, this mad scientist makes the best knife I have ever used, and I have used a lot of knives: http://mountdesertknives.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/Mount_Desert_Knives/About.html

ETA IIRC, his knives start at around $500.  And they're worth it. You know that part in Harry Potter with the wand shop, and how you just know when it is the right wand? That is how this knife is for me - but also not just me, because everyone who uses it feels the same way about it. It's the perfect knife. Well, not quite - aesthetically there are other knives I prefer, but this guy's knives beat them hands down in use. And he will customize them.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 2

This is not expensive, but I went to a cooking class from a professional chef and she swore by and sold this as the best Chef's knife she ever used.

This is a stamped blade, and that price is high. You can get that or a similar knife for a lot less in a restaurant supply store. This knife is perfectly serviceable and used in lots of professional kitchens, but it is certainly not heirloom quality.

(not knocking the knife - I have some for travel and I recommend them for people who want decent, inexpensive knives. They work great, they are just not forever knives, y'know?)

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 2

for "budget" -  my chicago walnut are 35+ years old and still great.  I've had henkles come and go in that time -

I really like our chicago 42s - it's an 8" chef knife.  the 40s (6") is very cute (not a size I need) and the 44s (10")   I keep telling myself I don't need to buy any more knives. . .  it's usually been dh's territory.

I came across them on ebay when I went to go look at replacing dh's much adored  slicer RB12S.  (12" blade.  they didn't make it very long - most blades are only 10".  those two inches really do make a difference.)  when he thought it was lost.  (left somewhere).  I bought it anyway, and gave it to 1dd for christmas.   her face lit up, she was a happy camper.  (she has good knives)

my chicago chef is actually heavier than my wusthof chefs (I have three sizes), but the wusthofs seem to hold an edge better.

the chicagos are a bit clunkier - the wusthof a "snazzier" line/shape.

I think I prefer the weight of the chicago - but I don't have that 10" blade . . . . so, I'll use the wusthof.

dh also has a chef's choice knife sharpener he swears by.  our knives are sharp.

This is not expensive, but I went to a cooking class from a professional chef and she swore by and sold this as the best Chef's knife she ever used.

she sold it?  so, she's making money off her students to whom she's telling them it's a great knife?

Cutco knives are guaranteed forever, and my Cutco Chef knife is my very favorite knife ever.

https://www.cutco.com/products/thumbnail.jsp?shop=chef-knives&compare=all#sm.0000tclok818bpenlpcbc42e6doou

By "guaranteed forever", I mean that they will sharpen their knives for free, forever (you just pay shipping).  And, if any of their knives breaks, or rusts, or goes bad, they will replace it with a brand new knife.  (When we were moving my mom into an apartment, we found two Cutco knives that she had gotten as a wedding gift in 1951.  After using them for decades (I remember them from my childhood), one was dull, and the other one was broken.  We sent them to Cutco, and she received two brand new knives!  That's what I call good customer service).