Menu

No Spend January (8th-14th)

HomeAgain

Placed a grocery order for $112 but I don't think that actually gets charged until I pick up tomorrow. I'm loving this grocery pick up option. Our grocery spending has consistently been down since starting 3 weeks ago. I'm using up everything we get just in time for the next order and we've been great about not eating out.

I love that it's working so well for you! I'm envious too. I wish ours was cheaper (and from a store I didn't have a grudge against :lol:). Ours charges 10% of your order amount, up to $200. There are often good deals that could make it worth the fee, but rarely on items I buy, so it hasn't seemed worth it yet. And our BJ's advertises "order online, pick up in store," but their database is so badly updated that it's virtually useless to me.

I love that it's working so well for you! I'm envious too. I wish ours was cheaper (and from a store I didn't have a grudge against :lol:). Ours charges 10% of your order amount, up to $200. There are often good deals that could make it worth the fee, but rarely on items I buy, so it hasn't seemed worth it yet. And our BJ's advertises "order online, pick up in store," but their database is so badly updated that it's virtually useless to me.

That's so disappointing! I wonder if they will ever connect the dots: high fees and/or poorly maintained database means people won't want to use the service. If a competitor came in with a low fee/well maintained data base they could probably do well as they built up a good reputation.

• Like 1

Oh that sounds annoying. I actually don't shop at Walmart because going inside the store causes me anxiety but grocery shopping was getting to be my least favorite chore so I needed a solution. I tried Amazon Fresh first and the meat was too expensive plus searching for items took too long so it wasn't worth the fee. Then I tried ShopRite's but when I used their app and my first search of dried beans came up with nothing I decided it was useless. Next option was Walmart. It is free and their search function is amazingly easy to use. So, although I won't go I to the store I will happily use this service. I've never been a fan of Walmart but they have helped with a critical issue in my house so I have to give them that much.

Made an unplanned Amazon purchase because camelcamelcamel notified me that an item I had on watch had dropped to my desired price.

It was a tool I had been wanting for awhile and waiting for a good deal on.

Edited by maize

Oh that sounds annoying. I actually don't shop at Walmart because going inside the store causes me anxiety but grocery shopping was getting to be my least favorite chore so I needed a solution. I tried Amazon Fresh first and the meat was too expensive plus searching for items took too long so it wasn't worth the fee. Then I tried ShopRite's but when I used their app and my first search of dried beans came up with nothing I decided it was useless. Next option was Walmart. It is free and their search function is amazingly easy to use. So, although I won't go I to the store I will happily use this service. I've never been a fan of Walmart but they have helped with a critical issue in my house so I have to give them that much.

Argh! Shoprite is the store I have the grudge against, but they're the closest with Shop from Home. Or, at least, I thought they were. This thread got me fired up to check again to see if I could make it worth the fee, and now our local SR no longer even does Shop from Home for pickup! I'm really surprised--it's a large and busy SR. 

Back to the drawing board, I guess. I'll think about Walmart, but our local one is just miserably awful, with a horrible selection and usually half-empty shelves, so I don't know if that will help me at all. We tried Amazon Fresh and it was not a good experience AT ALL. I wonder if Peapod still exists?

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

Day 8: Gas

Day 9: Gas

Day 10: $0

Day 11: household stuff, kitchenaid attachment

Day 12: Gas

Day 13: Groceries (more than I wanted, but lots of household stuff needed)

Day 14: I'm skipping church and staying in today. Windchill is -10 currently, and I have to go somewhere every day this week, so I'm taking the day off. Going to make some food up for the week ahead and the freezer. Should be a $0 day.

I've been doing really well making sure I'm using up ingredients. Last night's dinner was a sausage-shrimp skillet which used up some last-day spinach and a soon-to-die bell pepper. A few days ago, I made a delicious Italian pasta dish in the Instant Pot using up the last bit of Italian sausage, even used up the last of the Texas Toast with garlic bread on the side. Tonight I'm using up the very last bit of spinach in lasagna rolls.

Please post the Italian dinner recipe!

Please post the Italian dinner recipe!

Here it is: http://www.pressureson.net/2017/02/creamy-italian-chicken-with-penne.html

I just nuked my leftover meat and added it in the end. I also was out of chicken stock, so I used water and plain old canned tomatoes. It was really good, much better than the boring spaghetti with

meat sauce I had been thinking about. 

Back from my visit with my dad. 

In the past five days I spent:

$8 at Starbucks for a tea and slice of cake

$25 for groceries for family dinner at Dad's. Not bad for 8 people, including dessert. 

$5.50 for a sandwich at Publix to eat on the flight home. 

Today I bought groceries for the week. Came in well under budget even though dh was with me. 

Argh! Shoprite is the store I have the grudge against, but they're the closest with Shop from Home. Or, at least, I thought they were. This thread got me fired up to check again to see if I could make it worth the fee, and now our local SR no longer even does Shop from Home for pickup! I'm really surprised--it's a large and busy SR.

Back to the drawing board, I guess. I'll think about Walmart, but our local one is just miserably awful, with a horrible selection and usually half-empty shelves, so I don't know if that will help me at all. We tried Amazon Fresh and it was not a good experience AT ALL. I wonder if Peapod still exists?

It has to be a Super Walmart, so I don’t even go to the closest Walmart to me. The 2 super Walmarts close enough are each 20 to 30 minutes away depending on traffic. I actually cross state lines and have to pay sales tax(I live in a no sales tax state) but it is entirely worth it. Hope you find a solution