Menu

Simple wet mop?

Night Elf

I have waterproof kind-of-like-linoleum floors that I sweep, but I want to wet mop them occasionally. I have tiles in the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms. I was thinking of getting one of those swiffer mops that you just spray out a little ahead of you and mop it up. Do those break easily? I just need simple. No mop that needs to be dunked into a bucket of water and rung out. I feel that would still make things too wet and it seems overkill for my purposes.

I have an o'Cedar flat, double sided, microfiber mop. You do have to use either a separate spray or immerse the head in soapy water, but it works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007PQSVD0/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1514857147&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=o+cedar+microfiber+mop

Edited by Zinnia
  • Like 1

I've used the ones that spray out, but they are a pain. I pay more and get the swiffer wet cloths, the kind that come already saturated in cleaning solution. You put them on a regular swiffer mop, the kind you can use dry cloths on too. Works really well and is super fast. 

Edited to add: the brand name Swiffer ones work MUCH better than the generic. I'll buy the generic dry cloths, but only the brand name wet ones. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

I've used the ones that spray out, but they are a pain. I pay more and get the swiffer wet cloths, the kind that come already saturated in cleaning solution. You put them on a regular swiffer mop, the kind you can use dry cloths on too. Works really well and is super fast. 

Edited to add: the brand name Swiffer ones work MUCH better than the generic. I'll buy the generic dry cloths, but only the brand name wet ones. 

I love these too.  I am not the type of person who would normally love this, but we rented a furnished house for a few months and they had one (and some of the name brand wet cloths) and they are just magic.  

I love these too.  I am not the type of person who would normally love this, but we rented a furnished house for a few months and they had one (and some of the name brand wet cloths) and they are just magic.  

I've actually joked they must use black magic to make them, because they work so well. I've tried making my own reusable ones, I've tried the generic ones, I've tried store bought reusable ones, but nothing works as well. 

I'll be the dissenting voice and say I despise those Swiffer wet cloths. One of them pretends to clean about two square feet--if your floor isn't very dirty--and leaves it filmy and slightly sticky. Now I will say it's been a few years since I tried them (and threw most o f them away in disgust) so maybe they've improved them since then. The O'Cedear mop Zinnia linked to and a small spray bottle of your own preferred cleaner works a million times better IME.

• Like 3

I'll be the dissenting voice and say I despise those Swiffer wet cloths. One of them pretends to clean about two square feet--if your floor isn't very dirty--and leaves it filmy and slightly sticky. Now I will say it's been a few years since I tried them (and threw most o f them away in disgust) so maybe they've improved them since then. The O'Cedear mop Zinnia linked to and a small spray bottle of your own preferred cleaner works a million times better IME.

I hate them, too. I wanted to love them, but they only clean a small section before they're useless.

I have an OCedar ProMist mop that is great for quick cleans (mine looks like an older model than what I'm seeing when I look online. I use it mostly for spot cleaning, but it is so much better than any of the Swiffer products.

For actual cleaning, though, I love my OCedar Easy Wring Microfiber Spin Mop and Bucket. You can adjust the level of water on the mop head by how many times you push the bucket pedal. It's not quite as convenient as the mop above, but it's so much better and easier to use than a traditional mop and bucket.

O-Cedar EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop and Bucket Floor Cleaning System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WSWGVZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YI3sAb6VDC3EZ

• Like 1

O-Cedar EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop and Bucket Floor Cleaning System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WSWGVZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YI3sAb6VDC3EZ

I don't know if I'd use it that much to warrant a true mop and bucket. I'm trying to be a better house cleaner. I have only one dog and no one tracks in dirt so my floors don't look dirty. This is why I was thinking of just a little simple mop that I could push around once every couple of weeks. This mop and bucket look cool though. If I had heavier traffic in my home, I can see it being worth it.

• Like 1

I have an o'Cedar flat, double sided, microfiber mop. You do have to use either a separate spray or immerse the head in soapy water, but it works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007PQSVD0/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1514857147&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=o+cedar+microfiber+mop

So I'd just need to buy a spray bottle of cleaner and spray the floor myself before I run the mop over it? I wonder if that would drive me nuts. Or if I just want to damp mop, I could just wet the head and mop the floors like that? The funny thing is I think I used to own this particular mop or at least one similar to it. In cleaning out my hall bathroom closet, I found a mop head that same blue and white striped cover and threw it away. I remember having a red stick in that closet. I think I finally got rid of it because I never mopped and it just seemed to clutter up the closet. 

I don't know if I'd use it that much to warrant a true mop and bucket. I'm trying to be a better house cleaner. I have only one dog and no one tracks in dirt so my floors don't look dirty. This is why I was thinking of just a little simple mop that I could push around once every couple of weeks. This mop and bucket look cool though. If I had heavier traffic in my home, I can see it being worth it.

Understandable. I'd look at the first mop I mentioned. It sounds like it'd be perfect for you :).

O-Cedar ProMist MAX Microfiber Spray Mop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYNBGQJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Ua4sAbNX2MPAH

Edited by JudoMom

I only have tile/linoleum in the bathrooms and laundry, otherwise we have hardwood. But I use a microfiber cloth mop thing by Bona. I use it on all my floors, just using a fresh cloth and different spray. It works great and, at least when I bought it a few years ago, was larger than the other brands. I did end up with a steam cleaner mop thing which I use on the tile/linoleum and LOVE. I wish I had more tile/linoleum to use it on.

https://www.amazon.com/Bona-WM710013350-Microfiber-Floor-Mop/dp/B001AH5G38

I'll add the link to the steam mop if I can find it.

ETA: This is it: 

https://www.sharkclean.com/products/0/all/66/shark-steam-and-spray-pro/

Edited by 8circles

I use the Sh-Mop from Speed Clean Team with removeable terry cover. I fill a sink with some cleaning solution and hot water, dunk the cover in there, ring it, stretch it over the Sh-mop head, and am good to go for not-very-dirty floors. I only rinse/reload the cover if I am doing more than one room. If I mop, say, the whole Dining Room (which is hardwood), that is just one load-wring-cover needed for that whole floor.

I HATE the pre-wet swiffer cloths. They push a line of dust on my floors and they leave it filmy. I used them only once and threw the rest away.

I hate them, too. They used to leave a residue that made our white socks black. 

I think there is so much dirt on my floor on a regular basis I wouldn't notice residue, lol. 

Seriously, the dogs have dug up the backyard leaving it a sand pit, which they track in a zillion times a day. I'm jut trying to get that crud up, glossy isn't a realistic option right now. So maybe people shouldn't listen to me....I'm going for cleaner, not clean I guess. 

• Like 1

I think there is so much dirt on my floor on a regular basis I wouldn't notice residue, lol. 

Seriously, the dogs have dug up the backyard leaving it a sand pit, which they track in a zillion times a day. I'm jut trying to get that crud up, glossy isn't a realistic option right now. So maybe people shouldn't listen to me....I'm going for cleaner, not clean I guess. 

I have no doubt at all that how well or not certain things work depends on lots of variables. Like for the Swiffer things maybe the type of flooring, type of dirt, etc.

Another example is Oxi-clean. I know people swear by that stuff but for me it's a total waste of money. I don't know if it's differences in water quality or what. Ditto for Bona -- I'm pretty sure I get better results with plain water, although I know other people love their products.

• Like 1