Menu

WV or PA roads

Harriet Vane

Google for a traffic cam along the route. If you meant Interstate 64 in WV, it should have traffic cams. Smaller highways usually don't have that feature.

I feel like such a doofus, but I am having a terrible time figuring this out. I have tried googling numerous terms and cannot seem to land on good information. Different states offer different information. Frankly, I wish I had a CB so I could ask a few truckers.

Have you checked out wv511.org and http://www.511pa.com/Traffic.aspx?

They'll be the most current and should have access to traffic cams on the maps.

Also look at Google Maps and chart your route. It should show traffic delays.  You can use that as your GPS too. I use Waze for my GPS, real time traffic and more.

I'm so sorry about your trip. How miserable.

We're in N Central WV (junction of 79 and 68) and the highways are just fine. Back roads are shit, and they'll remain shit until school starts back up, as they never bother to treat the roads unless school is in session. 

Unless you have AWD *and* snow tires and are a very capable winter driver, don't mess with backroads in WV when it's snowed recently. (Or, for really back roads like the one we live on, don't mess with the backroads until the snow has melted, as there are a LOT of "state" as well as private roads that never get treated or plowed, so our state-owned road has gone weeks at a time during cold snaps when it is impassable for ordinary vehicles with ordinary tires -- as it's just one big ice road with steep hills . . . and we just have to wait for the ice to melt for it to be passable for regular vehicles. . . (Dh had to use chains on our road for about a month straight one bad winter when he didn't yet have snow tires on his little FWD Volvo . . . We no longer own any non-AWD cars, lol.)

Since we have AWD and snow tires on our vehicles, we are out and about . . . It took us some years before we learned never to go without those winter essentials, lol. 

If you're just traveling through on interstates, you'll be just fine, so long as it isn't currently snowing heavily (and it's been at least a few hours since heavy snow). Just be careful on bridges/ramps, fill up the gas frequently, have cold weather survival gear on hand just in case, and stick to major exits/developed areas for pit stops. 

Sorry your DH is sick.   If they will give you a route, from   your Origin to your Destination, I think you should try that on Google Maps or Waze.  My guess is that the fastest route they show you will have the best current road conditions. Drive Safely!

Sorry your DH is sick.   If they will give you a route, from   your Origin to your Destination, I think you should try that on Google Maps or Waze.  My guess is that the fastest route they show you will have the best current road conditions. Drive Safely!

Oh, God, No, do not rely on GoogleMaps or any other app to direct you through the snow in WV!!!

NO!!

Not if you value your life!

I love, love GoogleMaps, but I'd *never ever* trust it to route me on anything other than interstates in a snow storm in WV. GoogleMaps has sent us on impassable roads *many times* locally. Literally impassable, even in the summer. 

• Like 1

I just drove through MA, CT, NY and PA, and we saw so many cars FLIPPED OVER on the side of the highway. The snow on the road didn't seem bad at all, but there is a ton of ice. 

I made a resolution then and there not to ever drive during the winter holidays again. I'm staying home in bad (or even questionable) weather. I wish we could all get our time off during Thanksgiving or Easter instead, and avoid so many people trying to drive in the snow!

• Like 1