Menu

Remember my ringworm?

Night Elf

I started using and alternating prescription cream and tea tree oil on Dec. 13th. The rash has gotten much better. It's faded to a pink patch. However, it still itches. I just looked online and it said to continue treatment 2-4 weeks. Two days ago I stopped the prescription cream and have been using only the tea tree oil. Should I go back to using both again for another couple of weeks to see if the pink patch will go away completely? I don't think I can go back to the shelter until it's gone completely.

It takes awhile for the pink to go away. I don't know much about tea tree oil but I'd be concerned it may be drying the skin out and causing/contributing to the itching. If I were going to continue with any treatment it would be OTC Lotrimin. But that's my gold standard for ringworm treatment anyway.

ETA: I can NOT imagine any shelter having enough volunteers that people wouldn't be allowed to work if they had ringworm. I've yet to volunteer at any shelter/rescue group that would bat an eye at ringworm on a volunteer, other than to recommend basic common sense--or IOW keeping the lesions covered and following good hand washing practices.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

Can I ask, did the dr. actually scrape it to diagnose ringworm? One of my kids had ringworm, and a year or so later, it looked like the other had it as well. The TTO helped a lot but didn't really cure it, and I finally asked our PCP about it when we saw her. She said it was actually a form of eczema. I had DD use the same treatment DH uses when his (bumpy) eczema gets bad, and it finally cleared up. 

The ringworm and the eczema looked and acted (to my eye) exactly the same in both kids, so I'm wondering if maybe you need a different treatment

• Like 3

The volunteer coordinator is the one who told me to stay away from the shelter until it's cleared. So instead I've been volunteering at the thrift store which I find I like better anyway.

No, my doctor didn't scrape it. It looked just like the pictures of ringworm we saw when we did google images though and the fact that I was exposed to it at the shelter. However, I am the only person who got it at the shelter. My doctor told me I could go to the dermatologist if I wanted a confirmation diagnosis but I figured with the treatment we were doing it would handle any fungal issues.

I've avoided bleach because I heard and read that it burns and I don't like the sound of that.

The only thing I may go back to the shelter for is to socialize with the cats, but I might just increase my hours at the thrift store. I'm currently working in linens/pets/crafts but there isn't always enough for me to do so I might have to go help in the clothing department. My anxiety is keeping me from doing that though because it's a whole new department to learn.

Edited by Night Elf

Can I ask, did the dr. actually scrape it to diagnose ringworm? One of my kids had ringworm, and a year or so later, it looked like the other had it as well. The TTO helped a lot but didn't really cure it, and I finally asked our PCP about it when we saw her. She said it was actually a form of eczema. I had DD use the same treatment DH uses when his (bumpy) eczema gets bad, and it finally cleared up. 

The ringworm and the eczema looked and acted (to my eye) exactly the same in both kids, so I'm wondering if maybe you need a different treatment

Yes, I've had both ringworm and nummular eczema and they look very much alike and are both very itchy, too.

My son has a spot on his arm that looks like ringworm but not itchy. He also got a few spots on his neck. I can’t remember the name but it’s believed to be viral. The pediatrician hadn’t seen a case in years and then saw him and another child within a week of each other that both had it.

——-

Found the name pityriacis rosca

Edited by Rach