Menu

Dr. Hive - kiddo

BlsdMama

When Sarah was all of about 2-3, she had a couple episodes of not being easily wakeable after long naps or in the AM.  We actually suggested hypoglycemia to our pediatrician.    She told us it was unlikely and just to make sure she eats upon waking.  Since then, that's what we've done - make sure she doesn't space out meals or snacks too much.  Fast forward seven years:

Sarah went in for a ped's appointment a few months ago and I mentioned I'm still concerned.  I still think it might be a sugar "thing" and she feels pretty ill if she goes too long without food.

She suggested trying salt when she doesn't feel well.  They are seeing more and more children who are having issues with low salt diet.  

We did that and no, it doesn't seem to help.

She has "episodes" a few times a week now.  She gets pretty pale and she feels "not right" which I take to mean light headed/ill from how she describes it.  Usually a little rest and some food does help.

I normally have complete faith in our pediatrician of what to worry about and what not to worry about, but I think there is more to this.  Diabetes does run in DH's family (Type 2) and I have a cousin with Type 1.  Hypoglycemia would be the opposite of that of course.  :( My pediatrician has been wonderful and she's been ours for about 18 years.  I know she'll run whatever tests I ask her to run, I just need to know where to begin.

Last night we had a choir concert.  We ate before we left and Sarah ate well.  By the end of the concert she was pretty pale and not feeling well.  She drank a lot of water when we got home and ate something and felt a bit better.  But I use this to say - it isn't because it "occurs" to her to get attention.  This was a fun event of lots of people/friends and grandparents.  

Something is going on here and whatever it is is getting worse.

ETA: She is extremely petite.  She wears the same clothing my 6yo and 7yo daughters do.  No idea if that is relevant or not but she is the smallest of my girls.  

Edited by BlsdMama

Since you mentioned potential growth issues I would ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.  Pituitary, thyroid, and adrenal gland issues can affect growth and cause issues with body regulation (blood sugar, oxygen levels, etc) and can be very difficult for a pediatrician to diagnose.

• Like 2

Have you explored the possibility of Celiac disease? Growth issues with children are one of the symptoms. 

Interesting.  I've research Celiac before - DS was misdiagnosed years and years ago.  She doesn't share the symptoms I expect, so please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Bloating not so much.

Digestive issues - not so much

No tummy aches

No skin issues

Good teeth - this one especially  We have a dear friend whose son has Celiac and his teeth have a lot of issues that she was told was related directly to his Celiac?

LOTS of flags to me in what you've written. Some of the things that stand out: she felt better after a lot of water and food, that she isn't gaining/growing at the same rate as your other girls, the fatigue. These are all symptoms of Type 1 in kids. 

As a person develops Type 1, their immune system kills off insulin production. During that period of time, while the body is still producing insulin, it can often overcorrect and you end up with wild swings -- highs AND lows.

PLEASE get her back to the doc for a bg/A1C check. I don't mean to be alarming, and I'll be praying that it is not, but I would definitely encourage ruling it out.

ETA: At diagnosis, my ds had not *lost* weight, but it was noted that he hadn't been *gaining* weight the previous couple of years.

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...