Menu

Cross stitch related gift??

meganrussell

My mom had bought me the Stitch People book for Christmas, wrapped and under the tree. My cousin also bought me one, and I just received it today. I didn't know my mom had gotten it for me, so I excitedly sent her a picture of the book saying my cousin bought it for me. Now she's upset because she was so excited to give it to me, and it's so close to Christmas...

I just got into cross stitching, but I love it. I have tons of thread, but am looking for something cross stitch related, around $50, for my mom to get me instead. Maybe some type of organizer or basket? Help! A Google search didn't give me what I was looking for.

Edited by meganrussell

I have to get to the post office or I would look through this site more, but I googled cross stitch supplies and came up with this site.

http://www.everythingcrossstitch.com/

The bad news for me is that the store is less than an hour for me and I see a trip there in my near future -- LOL.  I used to love to cross-stitch and hope to find the time again someday.  

• Like 1

I have to get to the post office or I would look through this site more, but I googled cross stitch supplies and came up with this site.

http://www.everythingcrossstitch.com/

The bad news for me is that the store is less than an hour for me and I see a trip there in my near future -- LOL.  I used to love to cross-stitch and hope to find the time again someday.  

So the good news is that the store I saw initially is CLOSED.  That will help some.

The bad news is I looked at patterns on this site for 2 hours last night while watching The Voice.  I just ordered one leaflet from ebay ($3.50) to see if I liked a series of patterns before I buy the rest!  They are $9 new on that site plus shipping.

One thing I found really handy, that I wish I'd had from the beginning.   A DMC thread guide.   it has little snippets of the thread and the matching numbers.   Then when you by a kit, and have leftovers, you can figure out the DMC# and then put them on a thread card labeled properly.   That comes in handy later when you just buy a pattern.   Many times with the more elaborate patterns, there are many colors that you just need a tiny bit of that color.   

This also assumes that you have a box and the little cardboard things for your extra threads.   

One of those plastic things with holes along the side is handy for keeping the threads for your current project.  

• Like 2

Oh, and not really necessary, but satisfying is a really really good pair of thread scissors.   I have these pair of $50 thread scissors that are a thing of beauty and satisfaction.    DH twice used them to cut his pinkie-toenail.   I got quite upset at him the first time he did it.   Then I caught him a second time.   He said, "But they do such a good job."   I said, "The reason they do such a good job is because they are sharp and they are sharp because they aren't used on toenails.   Even then, I don't care how good of job they do.  I care more for those scissors than your toe."   In the moment, I meant it, and he's never used my thread scissors again.