Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search
PeacefulChaos

Mandarin for a 7th grader

I would strongly recommend getting a tutor or a class, at least for the early stages. The tones of Chinese are not optional - they are fundamental to the meaning - and they are not at all easy to imitate.

You can find Mandarin tutors on italki.com for about $10 per hour. It's worthwhile to start off with a tutor to say the tones correctly. We’ve used them for a few languages including Mandarin.

I don't know anything about learning Mandarin, however I highly recommend the Anki deck you can purchase from Fluent Forever. We've used those decks for Italian and German. There is a lot of focus on training your ear to hear the difference between different sounds in a language. It would hardly replace an actual tutor, but it has been great alongside a live tutor, or perhaps as a jumpstart.

Anki itself is a great tool for language learning and worth the effort to figure it out. In fact you could use the Fluent Forever site just for the tutorials on that.

I don't know anything about learning Mandarin, however I highly recommend the Anki deck you can purchase from Fluent Forever. We've used those decks for Italian and German. There is a lot of focus on training your ear to hear the difference between different sounds in a language. It would hardly replace an actual tutor, but it has been great alongside a live tutor, or perhaps as a jumpstart.

Anki itself is a great tool for language learning and worth the effort to figure it out. In fact you could use the Fluent Forever site just for the tutorials on that.

Are there Anki decks one can purchase from the ap store or something?i scrolled through the instructions of making my own and no way. Let him and me never learn another language ever 😂 if that’s what needs done.

Btw, I’m heading towards your neck of the woods soonish.