Menu

Runners I need advice

lynn

I have been working out regularly. I've been doing beach body on demand working through insanity, 21 day extreme, along with weights, kettle bells, some running About 5 miles. I lost 30lbs in the process. Bucket list this year is a half Marathon. There is one about 10 weeks in Chattanooga. Is it realistic to think I'll be ready for this from where I'm at or what prep time should I give myself. The other one I want to do, the great smokies half is in September. Should i find one in between march and september instead? Any suggestion?

• Like 2

Do them both! What is worst case scenario, that you end up walking half of the first one? Unlikely at your starting point, but also no-one else will blink an eye and it will be a personal record. Then in September you will you will likely set a new personal record!

I think Hal Higdon and Runner's Works have plans online for what to run/do each week to get you ready. There are varying length plans and varying staying points (beginner, intermediate, etc)

ETA good for you with all that dedication and success!

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 1

Either is doable, but for a first, I would do the Smokies.  I did the same company's Yellowstone half in June, and it was so much fun.  Their runs (well, I am extrapolating here from my sample size of 1) are very approachable for a new runner.  Also, ten weeks is pushing it, but if you're running five miles without stopping, it would be doable.  On the other hand, another thing to check on is weather--ten weeks, I am assuming, is early March, and it might be cooler in Chattanooga than in the Smokies in September.  Maybe you could check historical temps and see which is most likely to suit you.  Yellowstone was not my first half, but it was my first in many years, and I picked it because (1) Yellowstone is my happy place; and (2) I knew early June would be cool and, indeed, it was actually snowing and sleeting at the start.

Hey, I know--do Chattanooga AND the Smokies!  There are worse places to spend a weekend than Chattanooga and GSMNP!  You're welcome. :coolgleamA:

Ten weeks is plenty of time, especially since you are not starting from zero.  I run a half every year that has a much shorter training time (due to weather) and it has never been a problem.  I also suggest Hal Higdon.  I find that first half every year is very doable, even though I usually only get up to 10 mile long runs during training.  I second the advice to check weather.  I really don't like to run in anything above 65 degrees and am perfectly happy to run in all but the very coldest weather so I choose races on the early and late ends of the season.

You bet you can do this.

Hal Higdon training plans are the gold standard of basic, doable, will get you there training plans.

You can choose whichever appeals most to you and seems doable. I'd suggest sticking with Novice 1 for your first one. Just start on week 2 or 3, whichever will get you to the end on the right date. 

The cross training days on the plan mean you can do your BeachBody or whatever you want those days.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

*DO NOT* run more than the plan says. You're begging for an injury if you do. IME, most folks get their first running injuries trying to get to the HM distance (too quickly). YOu're pushing it already, but it *is doable* based on what you've written. Just take it easy and Trust The Plan.

When the plan gives you a choice between running and cross training, you MUST cross train, not run. Your legs just aren't ready to run 4 days a week, trust me. (OK, sure, there's a 10-20% chance you'd be fine trying to do that, but a 80-90% chance you'll be hurt, at PT, and not finishing the plan.) 

Print out your plan and go get 'em!!!

You can totally do this, IMHO.

Ten weeks is plenty of time, especially since you are not starting from zero.  I run a half every year that has a much shorter training time (due to weather) and it has never been a problem.  I also suggest Hal Higdon.  I find that first half every year is very doable, even though I usually only get up to 10 mile long runs during training.  I second the advice to check weather.  I really don't like to run in anything above 65 degrees and am perfectly happy to run in all but the very coldest weather so I choose races on the early and late ends of the season.

(derailing)  I'm exactly the opposite!  I'll run pretty much no matter how hot it is, but I hate running in the cold!  Or at least I hate the first five minutes of it!  

What’s the course time limit on the first race? When you say you have been running how many times a week? Is the five miles your weekly distance or a per run distance? Running base and aerobic base are somewhat different beasts so while having better fitness overall helps, it’s not quite the same as having already run regularly before starting. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try.

If the first half you are considering isn’t overly hilly and has an ample course time limit to potentially accomodate more walking, then I say go for it! Worst case scenario you end up walking more, but a finish is still a finish. Plus, then you have an added benefit of having a stronger base for your September training to build on (provided you keep running between now and then). Is there also a shorter distance run at the same time at that race. Another fall back plan would be to register for the half in that case and change your registration for the shorter distance if you feel like you just really aren’t prepared for the half.

As for running four days a week? Keep your pace down. You can run more miles, but you have to run those miles slower than you might be used go running or injury risk is an issue. Higdon is fine. McMillan’s cool. Galloway’s run/walk is great. Ten weeks isn’t an unusual length, though most half-marathon plans are longer. The one I’m using for my January half is a ten week plan, but it’s not my first half marathon so ymmv.