Menu

Soft Gingerbread Cookie Recipe

Joker

Not a specific recipe but generally speaking higher butter to sugar ratio for softer biscuits higher sugar to butter for crisper biscuits. Obviously slightly shorter cooking time. Make sure you cream the butter and sugar really well if it's a creamy recipe. Thicker rolled biscuits tend to be softer whereas thinner come out crisper. So basically just a good basic recipe then experiment.

Edited to add actually I think the butter sugar thing is the other way round. Now I have to check my cookie book.

Also brown sugar rather than white can help the texture too. And my favourite gingerbread recipes all have molasses or treacle for the rich flavour.

Edited by Ausmumof3

So, do the all recipes ones still stay soft if rolled out to use cookie cutters?

I should have specified my dc look forward to making gingerbread men cookies. This year oldest, 17, even bought ninja cookie cutters.

I did read somewhere last night about using all brown sugar instead on any white. I haven't tried that yet.

So, do the all recipes ones still stay soft if rolled out to use cookie cutters?

I should have specified my dc look forward to making gingerbread men cookies. This year oldest, 17, even bought ninja cookie cutters.

I did read somewhere last night about using all brown sugar instead on any white. I haven't tried that yet.

Ohhh. 

It's hard to get gingerbread men to both be stiff enough to keep their shape and soft enough to be soft. Because if you add more sugar, they'll spread more, and you'll get Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Gingerbread Men instead. 

Try underbaking them a little, using parchment paper, and then letting them cool very thoroughly because it'll be challenging to get underbaked ones off the pan without breaking them. 

Edited by kiana
  • Like 1