Menu

Simple games for kids

We have a lot of educational and strategy games both for adults and kids. But sometimes kids just want to play a silly kids game! I don't think we really have much of those. I am tired of candy land and aggravation being their go-to non-thinking game. Any suggestions for simple, silly, not-a-lot-of-thinking games for kids? They are 5 and 9. 

The game in our house that gets the most play is Enchanted Forest by Ravenburger and Race to the Room by the same company. The kids play them independent from us with one another and they are really fun.

I kept a copy of Enchanted Forest in my office at work and had kids always coming and asking to play a round with me.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

We have several of those mentioned here (8 of the 11 named, plus one that's already on our christmas list). I guess I'm not sure how to classify what I'm looking for, I just feel like something is missing from our vast collection! 

My nephew wants the game Soggy Doggy for christmas. I was watching the ad for it to see what it was and I thought it looked quite ridiculous compared to all the awesome games we have, but DD came by and said it looked like so much fun. So maybe I'm looking for popular, pointless, annoying, make-the-kids-giggle games that I'm worried I'm denying my kids by always choosing what I consider to be really good, worth our time games. (But maybe not soggy doggy specifically, wouldn't the inside of the pipes and all get gross if the game sat on a shelf for a while?) 

• Like 1

We have a lot of educational and strategy games both for adults and kids. But sometimes kids just want to play a silly kids game! I don't think we really have much of those. I am tired of candy land and aggravation being their go-to non-thinking game. Any suggestions for simple, silly, not-a-lot-of-thinking games for kids? They are 5 and 9.

Chicken Cha Cha Cha

Spot It Junior

Gulo Gulo

Dancing Eggs

Ice Cool

Hey, That's My Fish! (more thinking)

Happy Salmon

Spoons (you can play with cards and spoons, or buy a special set)

Happy Salmon

Sleeping Queens (more thinking)

Coconuts Duo

Duck Duck Bruce (if you can get a copy anymore)

Arbos

Hula Hippos

Apples to Apples Kids (if your younger child can read)

King of Tokyo (ditto)

Outfoxed

• Like 1

We have several of those mentioned here (8 of the 11 named, plus one that's already on our christmas list). I guess I'm not sure how to classify what I'm looking for, I just feel like something is missing from our vast collection!

My nephew wants the game Soggy Doggy for christmas. I was watching the ad for it to see what it was and I thought it looked quite ridiculous compared to all the awesome games we have, but DD came by and said it looked like so much fun. So maybe I'm looking for popular, pointless, annoying, make-the-kids-giggle games that I'm worried I'm denying my kids by always choosing what I consider to be really good, worth our time games. (But maybe not soggy doggy specifically, wouldn't the inside of the pipes and all get gross if the game sat on a shelf for a while?)

Oh I see :) So some other fun ones:

Perfection

My Dog Has Fleas (may not be made anymore)

Mousetrap

Shook Hook (this one is alot of fun)

Don't spill the beans

Don't break the ice

Goliath Catch the Fox

Ghost fight'n hunters (more cooperative strategy but fun)

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

I second Happy Salmon. 

We've also enjoyed Bendominoes, Spot It ( I don't think you need the Jr variety at your ages), Wildcraft, Uno, Twister, Exploding Kittens, Oh Snap, Dixit and Clue.

And we have a version of Guess Who where you create a face out of a human, animal and monster  and you can play with up to 4 people.  They think that is hilarious.

Edited by Raifta
  • Like 1

We play UNO many nights after supper. We play house rules for the sake of our 5 year old. We start with 5 cards and we don’t draw on the +2 or +4 cards, you just get skipped. It helps the game go faster and keeps him from ending up with 20 cards in his hand.

Jenga, Kerplunk, Settlers of Catan (with the 7 &9 year old) Jr version if the 5 year old plays. Scrabble with my 9 year old.

My kids also really like Pie Face, I’m not a fan but it is definitely a silly kid game.

5 is kind of hard because they aren’t quite ready for games that require thinking. A lot of times I’ll let my 5 year old be on my team and let him make decisions with input from me.

• Like 2

My kids (ages 6 and 10) love Apples to Apples

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1