Menu

taking chicken noodle soup to a friend

maize

My good friend and her family have come down with the flu. This is someone who has always been there for me, I want to do something for her.

Chicken noodle soup comes to mind, I'm just wondering what the best way to package it would be. Maybe mason jars?

I need enough for seven people.

I recently gave soup to a family in need. I bought disposable Ziploc rectangle containers in a large size. I picked rectangle, because I needed to pack them in a rectangle cooler, but they come in round, as well.

For chicken noodle, I think I would put the noodles (cooked) in a separate container, so they can add them when they reheat, without the the noodles overcooking.

I'm sure you could use mason jars, but I don't use them myself, so I can't advise about them. Do they come in a large enough size? Would you be worried that it might be broken in transport?

• Like 1

That's what I put my soup in every week. If you already have some it's a good option. If you have to buy something, a plastic container is probably cheaper.   I use mason jars because it's easy to see how much soup I have on hand AND because the soup is so visible. In a plastic container you can't always see the yummy goodness and it can be forgotten.   Plus a mason jar won't leak like some plastic containers will. 

• Like 1

I usually use the tall, cylindrical Ziploc containers that hold about 32 oz.  They sort of look like plastic mason jars, now that I think of it.   

One time I took soup to someone in repurposed Talenti gelato containers. The lids on those are fairly decent, and I didn't have any spills on the way to their house.   Of course, that would require a lot of sacrificial gelato consumption if you want enough to hold soup for 7 people.  One of those big plastic sherbet containers might also work. 

• Like 3