Menu

Any opinions on Teaching Textbooks math?

Mandarinmom

I just received it yesterday (a kickin' deal from CBD.) I had really wanted TT4 but I'm not waiting around until March (best case scenario) for it.

My daughter is only in 3rd grade so it is definitely a stretch for her. Plus, I think that there is a learning curve for younger children (at least for her) to transition from the workbook to the computer. I let her do the lesson and then on the spot, we go over the errors.

My plan is to move as quickly as possible through Horizon 3 and then go on to the TT5.

Ditto about ease of use. I don't think it needs supplement except that all math programs benefit from drills. I use games etc mostly but those facts gotta stick!

Planning on using TT 7next year after Singapore 5 for fifth grade . Saxon 54 was too easy for this year and we chose Singapore over Saxon 65. We own TT 7, prealgebra and TT Alg II, TT Geometry. Guess who is checking sales for TT Algebra I?

We love it! I was going to wait for TT4, but decided we couldn't wait for that. So I got level 5, and I'm so glad I did! DS is already half way through that and will need level 6 by Feb. He is really enjoying the program. I usually sit with him, or listen in on his lesson. If I feel like he needs extra practice on something, I will download a worksheet. And we supplement with other math just for fun.

I just received it yesterday (a kickin' deal from CBD.) I had really wanted TT4 but I'm not waiting around until March (best case scenario) for it.

My daughter is only in 3rd grade so it is definitely a stretch for her. Plus, I think that there is a learning curve for younger children (at least for her) to transition from the workbook to the computer. I let her do the lesson and then on the spot, we go over the errors.

My plan is to move as quickly as possible through Horizon 3 and then go on to the TT5.

What deal did you get? :bigear:

My 9 year old LOVES Teaching Textbooks Math 5!!!!

He used BJU Math for Kindergarten through 3rd grade, and moved straight into TT Math 5 without a problem.

I've found that most TT math levels have a generous amount of review at the beginning and that helps with the transition.

(I was worried, too, because I wanted to move him into TT and the 4th grade level wasn't available yet...but we've had no problems moving from 3rd grade straight into 5th)

Hope this helps!

• 2 years later...
Guest Sophia4Zoe
SO could a child go from BJU math 2 into TT math 4 and skip 3rd?

My family happened upon Teaching Textbooks when Grade 4 was the lowest they had available. Our 3rd grader was able to do Math 4. Then we had a 2nd grader try Math 4, but really only made it smoothly through the beginning review lessons. We are going to acquire Math 3 for the 2nd grader.

I'm actually looking for a copy of TT4... Man, are these things hard to find!!! Some people have them, but aren't ready to part with them yet. I need a copy within a couple of weeks.

My daughter really enjoyed the trial and since she has learning difficulties (dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia), it was recommended that she try TT. She keeps wanting to play the trial lessons, but I know if I do that, she'll be bored when she gets to them during the school year!!!

I have heard so good things... and my daughter HATES math and absolutely LOVES this program!!

We have used TT6 and TT7, and I have to say that my dd has made a phenomenal turn-around. We tried Saxon and MUS before landing on TT, and it is here that we will stay.

The only supplement we use is LOF once per week just for fun and variety. It isn't needed particularly, I'm just hoping to add even more fun to the weekly math schedule, per TWTM recommendation.

Blessings,

Lucinda