Menu

"Slightly elevated" LDL level in tween girl

AFwife Claire

I took my 11 and 10 year old daughters in for physicals the end of August at our local military hospital, which is a teaching hospital.  The doc said that now they are doing a blood panel for 10-12 year olds now, so both girls had blood draws.  The doc called back a few days later to say that DD11 had a "slightly elevated" LDL level, but it was probably because she hadn't fasted before the test.  So we came back in and had a fasting blood draw.  

The doc called back today to say that her level was still "very slightly" elevated--"just over the top end of normal".  She doesn't need medicine, but she has to go back in 2 months for another blood draw.

I've been googling how to lower LDL levels for girls, and nothing seems like it would help.  She is 4 ft. 9 inches and 80 pounds, which is a BMI of about 17.  She swims on the swim team, runs cross country, plays basketball, and until this past spring has been competing in gymnastics.  She is definitely not a couch potato, and she is really fit and strong.  She eats very healthy--we rarely eat any fast food, we don't fry stuff or eat much processed food.  I cook every night, with lots of whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables.  We don't eat lots of sugary snacks, mainly fruit.  I can't see that she needs to overhaul her diet or anything, and I don't know that she really can exercise anymore, or that that would even be healthy.  I'm really stumped.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to lower this LDL level?  I don't actually have the number, unfortunately.  I confess to wondering if they are making a mountain out of a molehill, because sometimes that is what htis particular hospital seems to do, but on the other hand, if she is going to have cholesterol problems, I definitely want to head it off immediately! My other daughter's levels were fine.  

Thanks!

I took my 11 and 10 year old daughters in for physicals the end of August at our local military hospital, which is a teaching hospital.  The doc said that now they are doing a blood panel for 10-12 year olds now, so both girls had blood draws.  The doc called back a few days later to say that DD11 had a "slightly elevated" LDL level, but it was probably because she hadn't fasted before the test.  So we came back in and had a fasting blood draw.  

The doc called back today to say that her level was still "very slightly" elevated--"just over the top end of normal".  She doesn't need medicine, but she has to go back in 2 months for another blood draw.

I've been googling how to lower LDL levels for girls, and nothing seems like it would help.  She is 4 ft. 9 inches and 80 pounds, which is a BMI of about 17.  She swims on the swim team, runs cross country, plays basketball, and until this past spring has been competing in gymnastics.  She is definitely not a couch potato, and she is really fit and strong.  She eats very healthy--we rarely eat any fast food, we don't fry stuff or eat much processed food.  I cook every night, with lots of whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables.  We don't eat lots of sugary snacks, mainly fruit.  I can't see that she needs to overhaul her diet or anything, and I don't know that she really can exercise anymore, or that that would even be healthy.  I'm really stumped.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to lower this LDL level?  I don't actually have the number, unfortunately.  I confess to wondering if they are making a mountain out of a molehill, because sometimes that is what htis particular hospital seems to do, but on the other hand, if she is going to have cholesterol problems, I definitely want to head it off immediately! My other daughter's levels were fine.  

Thanks!

"Very slightly" elevate, at that age, activity level, and diet would be a mountain out of a molehill for me for sure. I'd recheck in 6 months, not two, simply because you've stated there really isn't anything that they can do, so it's just extra blood work. I'd request and keep a record of the results.  Each of our kids has a file.  YMMV.

Edited by melmichigan

Okay, I'm about 40 years older than your dd but had a conversation with my doc on Friday about my cholesterol level (not just LDL, the whole thing) which tested fairly high in May (270ish). He said given my status as an exerciser, non-smoker, etc, it looks like I have a genetic predisposition to higher cholesterol. At this point it is mainly something to be aware of and keep track of--their calculation of my cardiac risk was 1.7% (1.7% of a heart attack over the next 10 years), and it would have to be over 10% before they look at using statins. I am now paying attention to saturated fats and I'm taking fish oil and I plan to test again this fall (6 months after last test) to see if it's any different. If it's the same, I just know it's out there and that I should get the number checked when I have my regular physicals to keep track, make sure it's not getting worse. And of course aim for a healthy diet low in animal fats, plenty of good oils and nuts and fruits and veggies. With an 11 year old with healthy diet and regular exercise, I wouldn't worry but would let her know it's something to watch as she goes through life. If she likes fish, serve that a lot. If not (and I don't), you can see if she's willing to swallow the giant fish oil capsules. I'm getting used to them now.

• Like 3

Okay, I'm about 40 years older than your dd but had a conversation with my doc on Friday about my cholesterol level (not just LDL, the whole thing) which tested fairly high in May (270ish). He said given my status as an exerciser, non-smoker, etc, it looks like I have a genetic predisposition to higher cholesterol. At this point it is mainly something to be aware of and keep track of--their calculation of my cardiac risk was 1.7% (1.7% of a heart attack over the next 10 years), and it would have to be over 10% before they look at using statins. I am now paying attention to saturated fats and I'm taking fish oil and I plan to test again this fall (6 months after last test) to see if it's any different. If it's the same, I just know it's out there and that I should get the number checked when I have my regular physicals to keep track, make sure it's not getting worse. And of course aim for a healthy diet low in animal fats, plenty of good oils and nuts and fruits and veggies. With an 11 year old with healthy diet and regular exercise, I wouldn't worry but would let her know it's something to watch as she goes through life. If she likes fish, serve that a lot. If not (and I don't), you can see if she's willing to swallow the giant fish oil capsules. I'm getting used to them now.

Fish oil is a really good idea!  I take 2 every day.

Dh's family does have some history--his dad and one of his older brothers had heart attacks at 50 that they recovered from, and I think high cholesterol may have had a part in that (his family doesn't really discuss stuff like that, unfortunately for the rest of us).  Dh's is also a little high--but he's over 50, a little overweight , and no longer in the best of shape, so that's not as surprising!

• Like 1

This does seem like making a mountain out of a molehill especially considering your daughters activity level and healthy diet. But some people are more prone to higher LDLs so maybe the doctor is being cautious.

How much soluble fiber (not just bulk) is your daughter getting? Things like oatmeal and oat bran can help increase your soluble fiber levels which in turn decreases your LDLs. Maybe she could just try eating oatmeal (made with old fashioned oats) once or twice a week for breakfast?

Is she getting enough good fat- like the fish oil mentioned above? Nuts, seeds, avocados, etc. are all sources of good healthy fats that are much better than saturated kinds.

• Like 1

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.  I'd probably have it rechecked in a year.  

Now, if you said your daughter had a horrible diet, never exercised, etc., I'd tell you to overhaul those things. This wasn't even a common test at that age until recently (our ped started doing cholesterol checks around that age) (and one of mine had a slightly elevated number but it didn't even make anyone bat an eye because my guys are all fit and trim), and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Edited by JudoMom

She's doing things right- eating healthy, exercising, and maintaining  healthy weight. I wouldn't worry about it at all.   Maybe check again in a year to see if it is higher, but certainly not in 2 months.  The whole reason they are checking kids this age is because of the growing issue of obesity. She isn't at risk of that.

If it skyrockets there might be an underlying condition like a thyroid problem. But for mildly elevated....not on my radar.