Menu

LOUD newborn sleep

Katy

A friend of mine has a newborn that is a really loud sleeper.  She said when she googled it the only thing that resonated was, "a goat" or, "a laboring walrus."  Baby did come a bit early, and I guess the super noisy sleep thing is common in preemies.  Have any of you experienced the same thing?  How long until they quieted down?

Tracheomalacia

My son (born full-term) sounded like a baby pterodactyl when he breathed (all the time, not just when sleeping.).  The doctor diagnosed it as  Tracheomalacia and said that by definition he would outgrow it by age 1. He sounded like that full time for a few months and then while sleeping until he was three.  He is normal and has no breathing issues today.

• Like 2

Most of my babies have been very noisy sleepers the first month or so. Not from the way they breath but the way they groan and grunt in their sleep.

We had to move our daughter into her own room (next to ours, with a monitor) very quickly as she made so much noise we couldn't sleep.

• Like 1

My oldest was a very noisy sleeper.  And then she would STOP making the noises, which would convince us that she was not breathing. 

And that's why she wound up sleeping in bed with us.  It was so much more restful to just be able to open our eyes and look at her/ touch her to make sure she was still breathing than to get up every time she either made or stopped making noise.

Loud grunting is a normal preemie thing.....BUT.....depending on baby's background it can also be a sign of respiratory distress.  It's important to know the difference between the sounds.  (And I have a long background story on this including apnea + severe reflux in my own preemie....but that is way beyond advice I can give on a message board....)

• Like 1