Menu

Dyslexia and reading programs

Hope1023

Is LOE a full comprehensive program? My son is dyslexic and can't do phonome segmentation. He also isn't great at sounding out. His school makes it to where you can't move on from spelling words unless you mastered them all which is great because you know they know the words but the past 2 spelling words list he has took 2 weeks to master and now this last spelling list he is going on 4 weeks. I read quite a few reviews where parents said their dyslexic kids got bored with Barton because it moved to slow. My son has a hard time sitting still. He is a kinesthetic learner but can do visual. He isn't a good listener so I assume anything where he has to sit for long and listen will not work because it will go in one ear and out of the other. Would LOE be a good fit for him or does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

It sounds like you need to work on phonemic awareness first. Watch video 1, then 4, then 2 on my pre-reading skills YouTube playlist. Watch the blending words video with him, it is for the student and parent and shows why blending is difficult with sound waves and visual explanations.

I would get Recipe for Reading manual and do it from the whiteboard and other kinestetic ideas, I'll add a link to that and my latest video about how to make phonics fun, it has a lot of ideas for adding in movement. Recipe for Reading is the cheapest OG program and has a lot of ideas for making it kinesthetic. I like just using the manual from the whiteboard or with letter tiles or cards or magnetic letters. I would also try working through my Syllables program once you do some phonemic awareness activities.

I also like Recipe for Reading because it is easier to move faster or slower most OG programs, it is more of a system/program.

https://www.amazon.com/Recipe-Reading-Revised-Expanded-Traub/dp/0838805051/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504930901&sr=8-1&keywords=Recipe+for+reading

My dyslexia page has more about phonemic awareness:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/dyslexia.html

and here is a good thread with phonemic awareness resources:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/582944-phonemic-awareness-resources/?hl=+phonemic%20+awareness%20+activities

Here is my Syllables program, all free to print and use, and the videos are short (but wait until phonemic awareness is improved before doing this.)

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html Edited by ElizabethB

Students | Barton  Here's the link for the Barton pre-test. It sounds like he'll fail it, which means he'll need to do another program (LIPS or FIS) first. But do the test, see how it turns ot.

As far as being bored with Barton, I think usually when people say that they mean in LATER levels, not in the beginning. Once people get through level 4, it's sort of a launch point where kids take off reading and maybe want to go faster or shake things up. But to say a kid who is struggling is going to be bored in levels 1-4, that's absurd, absolutely absurd. Barton is easy to pace to the child, and given the amount of disability you're describing he will NOT be bored.

No, don't bother with LOE. It's a complete waste of money for you. Barton or another, similar, multi-sensory OG-based instruction method, is what you need. If you don't want to do Barton, you could hire a tutor or...

• Like 1

We tried everything we could before making the jump to LIPS, then Barton, and I regret the time we spent on the other programs. Barton has just been the ONE that works for DD8. She's able to identify ending and middle sounds, blend words, etc. 

We've gone through Barton VERY slowly - she has memory issues, so that might be part of why it's so slow for us. But we're seeing actual progress - progress that we didn't see in other homeschool programs or public school interventions. 

He is a kinesthetic learner but can do visual. He isn't a good listener so I assume anything where he has to sit for long and listen will not work because it will go in one ear and out of the other. Would LOE be a good fit for him or does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

My very kinesthetic boy with dyslexia got a lot from actually building the words with Barton tiles. I know it sounds like you are looking for something else but I thought I'd throw that out there.

It is extraordinarily boring for the parent but it is just plain difficult for my son which is why he likes the program but hates doing it. We just do 30 minutes a day because of that.

Barton...hands dowm.

If he struggles to sit still, your son may benefit from an hour long OT evauation that evaluates visual perception, balance, developmental motor, pincer/core strength, and motor planning.

BTW, reading remediation is boring and difficult. The brain is being rewired and new neural networks are formed.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

Yep reading remediation for a dyslexic is inherently HARD, boring and tedious.  Their brains are going to struggle to learn and they aren't going to want to do it.  That's just par for the course.  There is no super fun, engaging, really cool reading remediation program that will be easy to implement and fun for the student to do, at least none that I have ever come across.  Barton at least includes many different ways to approach the material, including kinesthetically, and there are lots of resources out there now that can be incorporated that are actually more fun (such as the Spelling Success card games designed specifically for the Barton system).

It doesn't have to be nails on a chalkboard, though.  DD hated the program at first but once she got used to it and saw that it was actually working, when NOTHING else had, she was absolutely on board, boring or not.

If you keep lessons short, you do it first thing, follow it up with something more engaging each time, are patient, understanding and supportive (even if you are miserable inside) and incorporate some of the games resources, Barton may be your best bet.  The materials are designed for a layman, not a professional tutor, so you get a lot of scaffolding and support.  Step by step instruction.  Lots of support on-line.  Barton herself will talk with you.

You go at the pace of your student.  It breaks everything down into tiny pieces because they usually cannot make the leaps that a neurotypical student can.  They need those tiny pieces.  Go at whatever pace they can manage and at whatever length works.  If 2 10 minute sessions daily is what works, do that.  If 1 :45 session daily works, go with that.  

If you feel your son will not be receptive to you doing the instructing you might look at the Barton website for local or on-line tutors.

I would absolutely give him the free screening first, though.  He may need LiPS or Foundations in Sound first if he can't pass the screening.  It isn't an academic test.  It is determining if the student can do ANY reading remediation program or if they need additional assistance before starting one.  Dyslexic students can sometimes have issues that require targeted instruction with sound before they have any hope of succeeding in a reading program.

• Like 1

An Orton-Gillingham program is what you must have for a dyslexic child. There is no point in doing it halfway or haphazardly. You can actually change the way the dyslexic brain processes written language, if you do it correctly... it's been shown to work in MRIs. So cool. You can make OG instruction really fun with lots of movement games. In fact, movement will be important!