Menu

Please tell me about your Miele

4Kiddos

Over the past 13 years of marriage I have killed so many vacuums- all upright cheap ones. One even lit on fire and many of them have started smoking. I take really good care of them- cleaning/changing filters, emptying bags/canisters, not vacuuming big things, etc. Thankfully many have been given to me. My husband calls me the vacuum killer and jokes with people that they are not safe in our house. :)

I do vacuum at least once a week- usually twice a week. In areas of high dirt, I do it more. Is that unusual? Anyway, I know many people here recommend Miele and I was looking at the but feeling overwhelmed with all the options and the prices are so expensive. But I would much rather buy a quality item that will last forever and work well. I think I would like a canister and our new house has both carpet and hard floors. I looked at a whole bunch of threads here but thought I would ask specifically about the Miele ones.

- What model do you have and does it work for your needs?

- What don't you like about them (other than the price)?

- Do you feel like the more expensive ones are worth it or do the cheaper Mieles work just as well with a few less features?

- Did you buy yours on Amazon or locally?

- Our new house has regular length carpet- medium pile I would guess- and I have a few lower pile area rugs. Is the power head thingy needed for that or will the regular head work just as well?

- I found a website that compared Mieles and said that this one was the best bang for your buck. What do you think?

- Someone said on Amazon that Mieles are now being made in China instead of Germany. Does anyone know which models?

Anyway, I would appreciate any and all comments on what you think about Miele vacuums.

Not what you asked, but have you killed a Shark vacuum?  Because mine is still as good as new, and it's 4-5 years old, and I have long hair, a shedding white ball of fur, and 5 sons who run in and out all day and I haven't killed it yet.  I vacuum a few times a week.  It should be daily, but, you know, life.

I did kill my Kenmore Intelliclean and a Hoover.

Edited by JudoMom

The s190,s700,s4 and s5 series are made in China meaning the plastic parts are made there. The motors for all models are made in Germany. My first Miele lasted 15 years and I am hard on my vacuums. They fall down stairs, are being used outside and in the garage and my preferred way to move them is by pulling on the hose,the cord or kicking them into place. The last one broke when I ran it over with my car.

My current one is 7 years old and doing fine. We have pets and it has no problem with the hair.

Having said that,I always buy the most basic model made in Germany for a couple of personal reasons. I don't like the thinner plastic in the China made ones (actually I hate plastic to begin with) and I prefer to buy products made in my home country. As far as reliability and efficiency, I don't think the China made ones are any worse.

Edit:I have the C1, costs about $300.

Edited by rdj2027

The one I have isn't sold any more, but it came with a powered motor brush which I adore, so I'd definitely recommend getting a model that has that.  We have a dog and 2 cats (besides the dirt-tracking kids) so I end up vacuuming some part of the house every day, but somehow still end up with pet hair stuck in a rug/carpet, and the powered brush is amazing for that.  I love the rotary dial - super easy to switch from carpet to rug to hardwood floor.  This is my first canister (I'd always thought I preferred uprights before) and I love how easy it is to maneuver around and carry up and down the stairs.  It feels solid, but it's not too heavy to carry around, and it's light enough even my 20-month-old can use it.  We've had it a few years now, with near-daily use, and I have no complaints about it so far!  

To answer your other questions: I bought mine on Amazon.  The closest I could find was this one.  I think you should carefully consider which features you need.  Do you need HEPA?  A separate hardwood floor brush?  The powered mini brush?  The Delphi is the cheapest one that had the powered brush, so that's what I got.  The Titan, the next level up, also comes with HEPA and a separate hardwood brush, for an extra $100, which is about what it'd cost to buy those things separately.

I am also a vacuum killer, so I just buy from best buy and trade a vacuum in every few months after it dies.

My housekeeper had an awesome Miele that she used multiple times per day. And apparently, she used the same vacuum for the years she worked there. Very similar to this one https://m.mieleusa.com/domestic/vacuum-cleaners-1784.htm?mat=10014680&name=Complete_C3_Alize_PowerLine_-_SGJE0

But then she left the company and went out on her own and bought a massive Kirby. This thing looks like it's from the 1950s, no joke, but I have literally never seen my carpets so clean. I kind of teared up. And it converts to a wet cleaner and she said her carpets at home look brand new. But it was $1200, so I'll have to be happy with a good vacuum every other week :p

Edited by Ailaena

I have two (because beach house now sold).  The thing I like is the HEPA filter, which keeps the dust way down.  I noticed a big difference in the post-vacuuming dust on the furniture after I got it.  I will say that the built-in-vacuums do a great job of this, too, but hauling around that big hose is a PITB).  

I like the ease and cleanliness of changing the bag.  

I like the variable suck powers and the attachments that ride around on/in the canister.  

The cords are too short.  Period.  One thing I was told to do:  every single time you vacuum, even if it is just a spot-job, and you don't need allll the cord, un-do it anyway.  It keeps things from overheating.  

I don't vacuum allll the time, but when I do, what I vacuum is *clean*.  

I don't know what I will replace the vacuum with; given that I have two and only use one at a time and that I am 60 it seems that it is likely that I won't have to buy a new vacuum.

As for being a vacuum killer, I don't know what it is, but I saw this with my mom--she was a microwave killer.  No idea why.  :0)

Mine is the Miele Polaris S4212, purchased from Amazon in 2007 (I checked my order history) for $399. I don't think the model is made any longer, but there are probably similar ones. It doesn't have the power brush, which I remember wanting at the time. We have a combination of wood flooring, carpet, and rugs, and I have never actually missed not having it. We have kids, tons of pet hair, crumbs, etc., and it has performed well. I believe it was made in Germany.

My kids start to learn how to vacuum at the age of 5, and this vacuum cleaner is still working well despite being dragged, pulled, stepped on, etc., etc.

The casters make it easy to move around; even a 5 year-old can do it with relative ease. My only wish is that it had a longer cord so that I could vacuum stairs without unplugging and plugging back in on the different level.

We used to buy a new vacuum cleaner every 2 years or so, but haven't needed one in the last 10 years. It gets used regularly.

I love my Miele. We have the C1 Classic Titan.

When I'm rolling it is has a slight tendency to tip over. It doesn't happen as much now that Ive gotten used to how to maneuver it, but I would say that's the only downside I've found.

I would use the powerhead if you have medium pile carpet. 

My favorite things about it are the color(!) and the strong/variable suction. The strongest suction is strong enough that my arm gets tired dragging it across the carpet because of the resistance. I only did that once when I first got it. I also like the easy bag change and for DH's asthma, the HEPA filter.

We've had our Miele (Venus? Dark red/burgundy, anyway) since 2008. It has vacuumed dusty Arctic dust and stuff almost daily for three years, right-by-an-elevator grain dust for four years, gravel streets dust for two years, shag length carpet for a couple of months. Oh, and Retriever dog hair for 6. It has fallen down stairs, etc, vacuumed out vehicles.... I use it now instead of the central vac. I would definitely get the powerhead for anything carpet-y.

I don't even mind the price. I have certainly gotten my money's worth. We bought locally, because that's how it was done back then. I'm actually going to go back there for a new central vac powerhead. It wasn't any more expensive than Amazon.

I couldn't afford a Mile last time, so I went with a Kenmore, with plans to replace with Mike when I killed it. I had been firmly a one vacuum a year person to that point.

It has lasted me 3 years so far, with one repair (of a plastic piece) during that time. It is a good vacuum if Mile is just a but too much. I think mine was $450. It's a canister, bagged, Elite crossover. I like that the vacuum is made for floors, with the carpet piece being an add-on. That seems to work better for me, and it's easy to switch.