Menu

Clothes that grow with your child

Laura Corin

I hope you can see the video.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-41174551/clothes-that-grow-with-your-child-win-dyson-prize

Otherwise, there's an article here that has interesting details about the technology:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/07/origami-inspired-clothing-range-that-grows-with-your-child-wins-dyson-award

He mentions maternity wear as another possibility - I personally think that might be more popular.

• Like 1

I saw the video - wonder how comfy the the clothes are, they look more polyester than anything.  How much dirt etc. gets stuck in the nooks and crannies of the fabric (kids are messy).  How well will stains come out?  How durable are the elbows and knee areas?  I, too, think expanding clothes for expecting moms...and expanding clothes for folks who diet, regain, diet, regain ;-) might be an easier sale.

• Like 1

Cool. It reminds me of clothes I used to love for traveling: they were pleated, packed like air into their own carry bags and were one size. I definitely wore the skirt when I was pregnant and it grew with me.

I agree that these would likely be more popular for maternity rather than children's clothes, but I love the idea of sustainable clothing for kids. I would certainly purchase it.

Thanks for sharing, Laura. :)

I just saw this in the news. When I sew my girls dresses I always add a growth plaque, which is essentially just a horizontal pleat, to the bottom so that it will fit them longer. I've always wondered if I could do something like that to the bodice too. This seems really neat. I'd like to be able to play with the fabric and see what I could make myself.

The big question is how durable the fabric is. Will the clothes really look reasonable after 3 years? I guess time will show.

I didn't watch the video yet but I read the article, and while I think it's a clever idea, the clothes in the photos look kind of ugly -- and even if I liked them, I think I'd get pretty sick of seeing my kid in the same outfit for three years. Also, clothes get stained and worn-looking over time and the knees of pants get stretched out and thin, so I'm not sure it even matters that they would still technically fit the same kid for such a long time; wouldn't they look shabby long before they were outgrown?

(Edited for typo!)

Edited by Catwoman

My kids tend to wear clothes out before they grow out of them, and I've always got another kid to hand them down to if by some miracle the clothing makes it through intact, but it is a cool idea.

There are some styles that do last longer than others, though, and I prefer those.  Elastic waists, esp. yoga-type waists, tunic/dress/shirt things, those pants with the cinching elastic and buttons on the inside, etc. are all staples here.  

What I wish someone would make is leggings that don't get holes in the knees.

It's for ages 0-3, so I can see it working - provided your baby never pukes or has a blowout or crawls in it, or plays too hard.

Do you guys remember bubble shirts? This reminds me of those. Dd had some when she was like 7-8 that expanded to fit me. I mean, it was see-through by then but still...

I would love to have an outfit like that to grow into a diaper bag for blowouts. I'm not always good about remembering to change them out as my child changes size. Another good use could be for emergency shelters and the like to keep on hand. After a flood or other massive loss of property, it would be easier to coordinate clothes donations if any child between six months and three years could wear the same thing.

• Like 4