Menu

Talk to me about Blackboard Learning WTMA Online Platform

It's making me crazy over here!!!!

Today, was the second time we had trouble getting into the classroom!  This time we called the Blackboard Learning IT Support department!  They are clueless!  So get this, they access my computer remotely and STILL cannot get into the WTMA classroom.  Then they tell me it's WMTA fault because they sent me an Old Access Link to the classroom.  After we get off the phone w/blackboard, DH says let's try the laptop, and then we get in to class!  This is the second time we get into class 15 mins late.

HELLO Blackboard IT - If I can get into class in a laptop, but not into the class in desktop, that is not a WTMA issue!

Blackboard told me to go to WTMA.  WTMA doesn't know why I can't get into the classroom on the laptop and not the desktop....

My dh was home with the laptop today, so we were able to use it.  Usually, he takes it to work, so I cannot rely on dh's computer every week for class.

Has anybody ever had a problem getting in WTMA classes and what did you do to troubleshoot?  We emptied the cookies like it is suggested but still couldn't get into class today.

:banghead:  :banghead:

Edited by Nicholas_mom

Did you ever figure out your problem?

Yes, we were to overzealous and downloaded the new IOS. Safari locked down anything but the administrator.  We reverted back to the prior IOS and that solved the problem.  I had to discover it on my own and talk with apple and blackboard.  Blackboard was useless other than to tell me to use a different browser.  Apple tech was working on it after notified, and helped restore to the older IOS in the meantime.  We didn't have the same problem with the newest IOS.  It was still two days I'll never get back.  :)

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

Also, see if you have a pop up blocker (or other addon) on desktop vs laptop. We weren't able to get into a classroom the other day and the only was I got in was to be in incognito mode in chrome.

Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and effort. Good luck.

• Like 1

I've been using Blackboard at the college level for about 15 years, but I've only used the Blackboard Collaborate add-in for live classroom time. If I remember correctly, WTMA uses something else.

I'm guessing either a Java or pop-up problem, but I'm not a Mac owner. I always look at those two issues with my Windows machines.

• Like 1

Thank you, atleast I have something to check.  To clarify, we are using a Microsoft Windows machine.  We upgraded our FLASH just last month but I am not sure about Java.  I will look into that first and the link provided.

This has been more helpful than any IT I found regarding Blackboard.  I even looked online.  Thank you!

ok, after researching the link from Arcadia, it looks ok for our Microsoft Windows.  But, it sparked an idea to look somewhere else.  I am not positive yet because I cannot test my hypothesis until Monday's class time, but I believe that our problem is NET NANNY.  

It is hard to believe since ds is taking 3 other online classes, all in different platforms and ALL work fine with Net Nanny. :confused1:   

When I disable Net Nanny, I am able to go to the Teacher's Office room, which at the present moment is the only place I can go in because it is not class time.  I will find out on Monday's class time, if this will work.  Wish me luck! 

• Like 2

I hope it works for you!!

DD#1 has four different providers this year (if my quick count is accurate). I think all four use Adobe Connect, but only one (that I know of) has a problem on our laptop where we have to use the incognito browser function to get into the classroom. (I think all four work on the desktop with no workarounds. Actually, I'm not sure she's tried both computers with all the providers yet, so I could be wrong.) It is really crazy.

[On a side note, dd#3 is taking Coram Deo's Intro class. Is the LTOW class as small as the Intro class? (4-5 kids) It is a nice size class!]

• Like 1

When I disable Net Nanny, I am able to go to the Teacher's Office room, which at the present moment is the only place I can go in because it is not class time. I will find out on Monday's class time, if this will work. Wish me luck!

You can also test it out using any of the class recordings link. I wrote down the wrong time for my younger boy's class this morning so he missed the session and watched the recording instead.

My kid's laptop has the free version of Qustodio installed and sometimes it doesn't allow the websites I have whitelisted. So I set it to log but not block for anything except blacklisted sites since I gave up on the white list function.

• Like 1

RootAnn - regarding your side note.  [That is a nice size class.  I think last year, the class for LTOW 1 had about 4-5, too.  This year the class size is 2 (my ds and someone else) for Level 2 class.  I need to promote the class more, especially since she incorporates some of IEW Stylistics techniques with LTOW, get the added bonus of 2 worlds.  AND she is a good and engaging teacher!]

• Like 1