Menu

How to fix a horrible mattress in college dorm

TwoEdgedSword

I'd want to determine if it's the mattress or the support/frame the mattress is on. I wouldn't use a door if it's the hollow core type -- thinking that type might not be strong enough to support a person? Plywood is pretty classic, but some people can be allergic to the glue used to bond plywood layers.

But I'd do whatever it takes to get my child a good night's sleep.

One thought is what you would be doing over the summers with a mattress you had bought.

I was thinking about old fashioned mattress slats. Much to my surprize, a lot of results came up, with those from jet.com at the top. Below is just one of multiple results. We have ordered from jet and been pleased. Iirc, Walmart has bought jet.

https://jet.com/product/detail/35b6b33031bc4d0eb1d4e756e1b0e7e9?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_dur_Gen_Furniture_a2:Furniture_Bedroom_Furniture_Bedroom_Sets_a2:na:PLA_785111641_40612351106_aud-318763390747:pla-307812515661:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=785111641&is_retargeting=true&clickid=3600d2a2-1b63-48e5-a50b-0dd873074d56

ETA

Ikea has foam mattresses that seem to roll up.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/24823/

My ds will go off to college next year, so I am watching this thread....

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 3

I'd want to determine if it's the mattress or the support/frame the mattress is on. I wouldn't use a door if it's the hollow core type -- thinking that type might not be strong enough to support a person? Plywood is pretty classic, but some people can be allergic to the glue used to bond plywood layers.

But I'd do whatever it takes to get my child a good night's sleep.

One thought is what you would be doing over the summers with a mattress you had bought.

I was thinking about old fashioned mattress slats. Much to my surprize, a lot of results came up, with those from jet.com at the top. Below is just one of multiple results. We have ordered from jet and been pleased. Iirc, Walmart has bought jet.

https://jet.com/product/detail/35b6b33031bc4d0eb1d4e756e1b0e7e9?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_dur_Gen_Furniture_a2:Furniture_Bedroom_Furniture_Bedroom_Sets_a2:na:PLA_785111641_40612351106_aud-318763390747:pla-307812515661:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=785111641&is_retargeting=true&clickid=3600d2a2-1b63-48e5-a50b-0dd873074d56

ETA

Ikea has foam mattresses that seem to roll up.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/24823/

My ds will go off to college next year, so I am watching this thread....

Thanks! I asked for a photo of what's under the matress, so I hope to find out soon. We definitely need more than a foam topper though, because that just makes the lack of support in the middle more gushy LOL!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was also going to suggest bed frame slats. Here's the same ones that Alessandra linked, but available for cheaper at Amazon, which also very likely delivers to the college. I'd probably suggest that DS remove the mattress, lean it up against the wall behind the bed frame, and roll a foam mattress (again, like Alessandra linked) on top of the slats. If the Ikea mattress is too expensive, what about something like this or this or even this -- all under $100.

At the end of the year, replace saggy mattress on the dorm bed, roll up the slats and mattress, and bring them home for future use.   :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I was also going to suggest bed frame slats. Here's the same ones that Alessandra linked, but available for cheaper at Amazon, which also very likely delivers to the college. I'd probably suggest that DS remove the mattress, lean it up against the wall behind the bed frame, and roll a foam mattress (again, like Alessandra linked) on top of the slats. If the Ikea mattress is too expensive, what about something like this or this or even this -- all under $100.

At the end of the year, replace saggy mattress on the dorm bed, roll up the slats and mattress, and bring them home for future use. :)

Wow, $25 and Prime delivery! And I had thought bed slats were from the 1930's, lol. At that price, I might consider sending some to a relative I sometimes visit, in advance of my visit!

The air bed looks super comfortable.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 3

Honestly? if they are are all like that? 

#1 - Replace it with your own mattress. It's not that hard for a twin size and they can be purchased cheaply off Amazon. He can either slide the college's one under the bed and pull it out for parties, or contact his RA and have it sent back to storage. 

#2 {and more important} - Empower your kid. Have them start a petition to take to student government to get these cruddy old mattresses replaced!

• Like 5

When I was in school, the mattresses were fairly thin and the metal frames for the bed had zig-zagged metal wire-material that sagged. It never bothered me then, but I know that it would now. But, some students who had lofts had wood (slats or plywood) under their mattress and they had much firmer support. In the meantime, they might be able to put the mattress on the floor while they figure out what to do next. They can put the mattress back on their bed to store it during the day so it doesn't get stepped on.

• Like 1