Menu

Online job applications and SSN

marbel

One of my kids is looking for a new job.  She worked for 2 years at a cafe but had to quit because the hours (early mornings - afternoon) don't fit with her school hours. 

She's started some online applications but is getting frustrated because several places require the applicants' SSN.  I've told her to skip those places for now and focus on ones that don't require it.  I know it's not illegal for them to collect that information, and I know a prospective employer needs it at some point. But I'm surprised to see it at the initial application.  

When she applied for her first job, the place used a paper application. We told her to leave the SSN field blank. She was a little worried that they'd reject it, but they did not. She happily gave it to the manager when asked.  I don't remember if it was after they hired her, or before (so they could verify her before making an offer).  But in any case, they didn't need it before interviewing her. And since some online applications don't require it, it's obvious it's not needed at the start of the process. 

Am I the only one bothered by this?   I've read that some people put in all 1s or something, but that doesn't seem right either.   What  have you done? Just figured the SSNs are out there anyway, what's the point of trying to keep it secure?  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

.   What  have you done? Just figured the SSNs are out there anyway, what's the point of trying to keep it secure?  

NO WAY...   Try to divulge the SSN to the fewest organizations as is possible. The IRS, the bank, etc.  

I have an Employer Identification Number and want my DD to get one.  Use IRS form SS-4 to get an Employer ID number.    I think you may be able to fill out an Online form on IRS.GOV and get the Employer ID number immediately. Print it out...

I give that number, whenever possible.  I would not be submitting my SSN to everyone she applies to. 

• Like 2

I do not like it, either. I recently had to fax info for ds' upcoming doctor appointment. They asked for SS on the form. It was not on the front page and I knew they'd need it eventually so I finally gave it and put it on there. I followed up with the individual that needed it to make sure they received it. I just didn't like the idea of it sitting on top of their fax machine out in the open.

Job applications, I cannot remember if the last ones I did required it. They may have. They were with schools and I felt more secure with those than say, a random place I have no knowledge about.

• Like 1

I am super stingy about giving them out as well. On paper, I would say "provided upon hire"; online, if it wouldn't let me proceed I would type in all 1's or 5's, then let the HR department know why.

The only exception to this would be a federal job.

See if the online form will accept asterisks or zeroes in place of some of the SS numerals. As far as I know, there's no legal or reasonable reason for them to require that info before someone is actually hired (at which point it becomes necessary for I-9 and tax forms).

• Like 2

This.  I wouldn't give out the SS # unless they needed it - which would be if she was hired. 

I am super stingy about giving them out as well. On paper, I would say "provided upon hire"; online, if it wouldn't let me proceed I would type in all 1's or 5's, then let the HR department know why. 

The only exception to this would be a federal job.

• Like 1