Menu

11th Grade Chemistry

Hello,

I've been reading for hours now about different high school chemistry options for my 11th grader.   He is pretty set on studying atmospheric science in college, with a minor in environmental science.   I want to be sure to prepare him well for college science, but after reading I'm more confused than ever.   He is currently set to begin precalculus/trigonometry and is highly motivated and self-directed.   I am NOT strong in the sciences, however, and worry that I will do him a disservice.   A good friend used BJU for her son and he had a lot of trouble in his first two years of college science classes, despite a very high IQ....so it worries me that my son will have the same issues if I choose the wrong curriculum.  My friend feels now that BJU did not adequately prepare her son for college biology or chemistry.            

My son's first love is physics, but I know he needs to master this chemistry also.   

Any help is appreciated.

• Like 1

Atmospheric science = MATH!

Lots of students drop this major because they can't handle the math.

High school science prep is secondary to the math prep. Is he rock solid in Algebra 1 & 2? Make sure he masters that pre-calc.

I can't speak specifically for the bju high school materials but I am not convinced it was directly the cause of your friend's child's college troubles.

The following skills are needed for college science:

Discipline and general study skills

MATH AND HOW TO USE IT (except biology. Then you can just memorize the whole textbook)

Writing a lab report according to a template

Test taking must be top notch

And even a very intelligent and motivated student may struggle with self directed learning of chemistry, pre calculus, and such. Do you know anyone who could take on the role of tutor? Or other outsourced resource?

Best wishes!

• Like 1

My 11th grade ds is taking Chemistry at the WTM Academy this year. He is doing the delayed class. He took Biology through them last year and really enjoyed the class. Historically, we have used The Potter's School (Apologia texts) for science for all our kids, but he thought WTM was better. He wants to go in to medicine.

Thank you for the kind responses so far!    Yes, he's solid on Algebra 1 and 2, and I will definitely keep up on that knowing that the math is more important than the science at this point.   I am looking into outsourcing the chemistry at least.....it will definitely be hard to do it on our own.  I REALLY appreciate the tips regarding college science.   I am not science oriented, and my first child was not going into anything even remotely science like, so this is all new to me.   

Cindy....you feel the WTM science classes are rigorous enough for pre med?   I would think then it would be fine for my son also....

I will also check out the thread that Murrayshire mentioned.  Thank you for that!

Any more suggestions are always welcome.   I have learned a lot so far and I appreciate it.

• Like 1

"Smily"....since you seem to know a lot about this career track, do you have any suggestions about a good math curriculum?  He just finished up Geometry with Life of Fred, and is ready to start LOF Trigonometry, but he has expressed that he doesn't know if it's rigorous enough, and is growing a little weary with the extraneous story line that he doesn't think is necessary.   I'm not sure if he's right, but am open to suggestions....

Thanks!

• Like 1

My DD took this course from TTUISD when she was in 10th grade:

https://enroll.ttuisd.ttu.edu/catalog/CourseListing.asp?master_id=1986&master_version=1&course_area=HIGH&course_number=CHEM%201A&course_subtitle=2

Note: We were told, I think during July 2016, that a Professor in Tech (Texas Tech University) is working on a new Chemistry course for TTUISD, and as I recall that new Chem course will be a "Dual Credit" course, but as of this moment, I don't see that new course in the TTUISD Course Catalog.  They devote a lot of time into the development of new courses.

If that "Dual Credit" course should become available, that would probably prepare your son for college level work, quite well. The one my DD took (link above) may also prepare him for college level work, quite well. 

As others have pointed out, a SOLID understanding of Math, and the ability to apply Math to Science is required.

Good luck with whatever you decide on for Chem!

I know I've said this before, but, in our public school, the prerequisites for moving from one science course to the next, or from regular to honors, are less stringent than the prequisites for the pre or co requisites for the math that goes with a particular science course. In other words, school feels that high motivation can overcome some previous so-so grades in science. But for math you have to be what previous posters have called rock solid.

Yes, atmospheric science is math and physics (in fact some schools offer it as atmospheric physics), but there is definitely chemistry as well. Especially for someone doing environmental aspects -- the behavior of air pollutants is chemistry.

DD did spectrum in 7th and AP Chem through a coop in 10th, so I'm not much help with the original question. But I definitely don't agree with the attitude that you don't have to worry about rigorous chemistry as long as math is strong. Yes, he can probably tough it out with high motivation if he's a little weak in science preparation, but it's better to be prepared.

• Like 1

We used Zumdahl with much success.  Dd loved it! 

Can your dc take Chemistry at a local community college?

Thanks for the info!    I just checked it out, and apparently he can take Introduction to Chemistry at our local community college and earn 4 credits while he is at it!      I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but it sounds like a great plan for him.   It will not only give him the taste of a college class in his junior year, but also earn him credits.   It will also, of course, give him a real lab experience, versus what we could do at home.

Thanks again

I know someone who did both the Apologia courses (2nd edition for Chemistry, otherwise, use the Berean Builders version) and went on to college in Chemistry and took honors Chemistry freshman year and earned A's and said he already knew it all and perhaps should have just tested out. So I would recommend Berean Builders for the first class and then follow up with Apologia Advanced Chemistry.