Menu

Is a cruise to the Caribbean fun if...

PeterPan

you use an ECV? My dad doesn't use an ECV *all* the time, but for anything long, he's going to be very fatigued, like for a week. When we took him to Disney, obviously we rented him an ECV. He loved it and just really enjoyed the happy ethos of Disney. Like he enjoyed Disney for what it is, which is a marvel when you consider how all military he is. 

So anyways, with that success, I'm pondering whether a Disney CRUISE would be a good fit. I identified a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean that hits a variety of ports. I think he would enjoy the variety. There's Cozumel, Costa Maya, Castaway Cay, Key West, and some days at sea. I know I've seen in other threads that people here like those destinations. But will my dad? How can I predict that?

He can walk, and he'd probably put on trunks and go in the water a bit. He's not very nimble or anything. I mean, that's how you get his level of disability. There are things I think he'd think were really cool, like the glass bottom boat at Key West. He likes history, so I think the Mayan history excursions would interest him. His faculties are mostly there, though they think he may have had some strokes and brain damage. He can't *walk* to those. Well he can, but then he'd have to sleep the rest of the day. Do they have vans?

Actually, a better question, can a person with an ECV get off the boat for the excursions?

I guess I can't tell if it's just that *I* want the cruise (because, oh torture, I'd be going along), or whether this is actually a really cool thing for him, kwim? His life pretty much sucks otherwise. He's single, in assisted living, etc. We took an amazing trip earlier this year to Disney, and it's just so good for him. He'd like to travel more, but he needs help. He can't plan it out or coordinate it in any way. So I have that sort of daughter guilt, like you want him to have a good time but you don't want to waste money or do something that turns out wasn't a good fit, kwim? And he wants a snowbird trip (two weeks somewhere WARM during the winter), so the parameters of the idea are fine. It's more just is this sane, is this actually fun for him, or is it more of a young people's trip, kwim? Considering his level of disability, will he have a good time?

Adding, I don't want to sound snotty or anything, but I'm only looking at Disney. If it were just me, fine, Carnval, NCL, anything. But I have to take my ds with autism along. I've gotta have service to handle *2* people with disabilities and not go out of my gourd, and Disney gives me that service. Ds likes Disney and Dad does, so I think they'd both enjoy the shows and things on the ship. I don't know what they actually DO on the cruise ships, but my dad is socially typical and could probably survive. He lives a peaceful, quiet life. Overwhelming would be bad. Has to have quiet things to do. He likes fireworks a lot, and the Disney boats do fireworks, from what I've read. So I think it could work on the boat. Like there's probably enough there that they'd have a good time. But how would he do in the ports?

Is there anything else I need to consider? 

I have no experience cruising and have never been to any of those ports. My mother though is in a power wheelchair.

Ramps on and off the boat might be quite steep depending on water levels. O would not assume most shops/museums, etc at the ports would have ramps, wide doorways, handicapped bathrooms, etc. Since he can walk that might not be a huge issue as long as someone can keep an eye on his EVC.

I would call Disney and ask to to talk to their disability department for real clarification on the accessibility of the ports.

• Like 3

I have cruised a few times. Many cruise lines deal almost exclusively in the elderly. I don't know about Disney since it's a younger demographic, typically, but I've seen other cruise lines make it work for someone with restricted mobility.

• Like 1

I have cruised a few times. Many cruise lines deal almost exclusively in the elderly. I don't know about Disney since it's a younger demographic, typically, but I've seen other cruise lines make it work for someone with restricted mobility.

Now see that hadn't even occurred to me, but it seems obvious when you put it that way, thanks.

So then what are cruise lines that specialize in the elderly? He's kind of an anomaly though, because he's only just 66. He lives with people 20 years older than him, kwim? I think he likes the variety. But still, it would be good for me to look into to see the differences.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I've been on 14 Disney cruises. They are great and tons of fun, but there are things that would definitely be difficult for him. For several years, we needed a double stroller, and even that was hard to maneuver around the ship and on and off in the ports. The ships are fabulous, but they're still cruise ships. The hallways are fairly narrow. I can't imagine keeping an ECV in the room. It would be hard to move around it. The hardest thing would be the elevators. They're just too small for the amount of people on board, and trying to get someone on and off in a wheelchair, ECV, etc is extremely difficult.  I don't know what Disney's deal with the elevators is. They're so inadequate. There is handicapped seating in the back of the theatre. I've never seen an ECV there, though, only wheelchairs.

I don't think I've ever seen an ECV leave the ship in port. It would be hard to get down the narrow ramp. If you managed it, I think it would be really difficult to find a taxi van that was equipped to handle it. You'd be okay on Castaway Cay as he could ride  the ECV to the beaches if you and your DS wanted to take the tram. Cozumel has one of the most sophisticated taxi systems I've ever seen, but I don't remember seeing any that could handle transporting something like that. In the Bahamas, he would be okay at Atlantis. Disney has buses that take people back and forth. I'm not sure about the ECV, though. In most of the other ports, it's really not going to be easy.

• Like 2

I've seen lots of wheelchairs on cruises.

Things to consider: rooms for people with disabilities (easier shower entrance, wider, etc).

Needing to tender (sp?) at a port (get into a smaller boat or ferry to get from cruise ship to land. Idk off the top of my head if that would be difficult (if so, they are usually only one stop and people can stay on board instead).

The hallways may be narrow but I'm sure they meet minimum standards for wheelchairs.

Destinations that include developing countries and European countries may not be disability friendly. When you step off the boat (which is a ramp), into the port, usually you walk or take a transport to wherever. They label the excursions with what you have to be able to do physically, which will limit excursions.

Will he enjoy? Probably. It depends on the person. I love looking at new places, even if I can't do things. On a ship, I like to do activities and see performances, be served at restaurants, relax. In the Caribbean there are lots of beautiful things to see. In a lot of places you can just rent a van or whatever to be driven around to get a tour. You can call companies ahead of time about a scooter or wheelchair ability.

I think it would be enjoyable for him if he thinks he'd like to experience a cruise. It will require planning ahead of time. You may consider a larger room to help with space, but Disney rooms are some of the largest.

If you want a forum that's the "homeschooling" forum equivalent of cruising, go to cruisecritic.com. They have forums on everything, including once you book, personal cruise forums (meet others ahead of time who will be on your ship). I'm super sure they'd have more specific advice. :)

• Like 1

We have an older friend with disabilities similar to your dads. She can walk but any distance she will probably use her motorized. They travel a lot....but plan with one travel agent who seems to really do a great job. The husband has a serious heart condition so things have to be well in place for both of them. They have taken several cruises. I think normally on Cunard. I know their big need is a bathroom with a real bathtub so she can soak so they book a fairly nice cabin.

I would call the main Disney help line and find out exactly how they can make this work. I suspect it can. These friends do lots of tours while on their cruises and really enjoy themselves. So it must be possible. They find the days at sea boring! :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks ladies. Now I'm kind of dismal on it. I followed some of the things you suggested, like googling for best cruise with an ECV, etc., and they're saying what y'all are saying, that the boats are very hard to get around on in an ECV, that the cabin space is nill unless you get accessible or a suite, that you won't have it on any of the shore excursions that use tenders, and that it's just not set up, in general, for that. 

I like the idea to pursue a cruise service aimed more at seniors. Might work out better. He was in the Navy and saw the world. It's not like he needs exotic. I just wanted to show him a good time, and if he can't have a good time in this set-up, he can't. I'll keep looking. 

I guess I'm frustrated, because ECV use at Disney (on land) is so NORMAL. I just figured they'd have a way to make it work beautifully at sea. It doesn't seem like a really accessible experience, more of an after the fact. 

So now that I know, I'm going to have to google that way, looking for things meant for an ECV.

That's the thing that sucks about life. If you wait too long, some things are just no longer accessible.