Menu

BFB's K-3 geography is out.

Slache

Why, oh why, didn't they put it up 3 months ago? I just finished planning my year of geography for 1st and 3rd.

Same. Seriously, lol. 

And for those saying that it's pricey -- it is, but no more so than, say, MP's science, enrichment, and read aloud packages. Actually, BF is more competitively priced, in my opinion. 

But, as I do with MP, just buy the literature on Abebooks used, and buy only the guide itself, or any speciality books, from the publisher :)

• Like 1

If you just buy the guide from BF and get the other books from used book sites or a local Half Price Books you could really reduce the cost. That cost is nearly all in the price of brand new picture books, which don't last as long as chapter books with the same price so you need more of them. ;)

It looks adorbs!! My youngest loves geography, but he's beyond this one. Naturally. lol

• Like 1

What's your plan?

We're using Trail Guide as a spine, doing the mapping and geography trails, but skipping the trailblazing and the unit study of Around the World in 80 Days. 

Each week will include:

Reading about one child from Children Just Like Me with the free note-booking page I found online.

An art project from Global Art or Geography Through Art

​Music lesson based on the format from MMPT, but including songs from Wee Sing Around the World

​​Family dinner featuring a kid-cooked dish from any of the world cookbooks my library has.

A video and note-booking page from a relevant country in the Countries Around the World DVD series. http://www.multiculturalkids.com/dvds-videos/countries-around-the-world-52-volume-dvd-series/

A page from Color Around the World for the K4 and 1st grader.

Relevant pages from Atlas: Usborne Sticker Picture Atlas for K4, Nat Geo Beginner's World Atlas for 1st grader, and Nat Geo Kids World Atlas for 3rd grader.

Other Resources:

Prayer Journal from Winter Promise, heavily edited to fit our Catholic faith and rearranged to correspond with A Life Like Mine and Dear Pope Francis to be done over the course of the year.

Christmas around the world unit study for Decemberhttps://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Around-World-Mary-Lankford/dp/0688163238

Sticker Dolly Dressing for fashion-obsessed 1st grader.

Material World - digital so I can display on big screen-just a few countries with young-kid friendly discussion questions.  (found online)

A Faith Like Mine during study of Africa and Asia â€‹with diy worksheets featuring matching, crosswords, and fill in the blank.

Games:  Flag Frenzy, Ellen McHenry's Around the World, Layers of Learning Government and Economics matching cards, Bingo and Pictionary for Geography Terms, DIY Board Game for world religions, lightning (like hot potato) to practice government, economics, and world religion terms.

Some paper craft world landmarks from http://www.papertoys.com/.

A collection of currency and other objects from around the world for the kids to handle and inspect.

Book basket choices using lists from Barefoot Meandering, Bookshark, Give Your Child the World, Guest Hollow, and my own findings.

We're using Trail Guide as a spine, doing the mapping and geography trails, but skipping the trailblazing and the unit study of Around the World in 80 Days.

Each week will include:

Reading about one child from Children Just Like Me with the free note-booking page I found online.

An art project from Global Art or Geography Through Art

​Music lesson based on the format from MMPT, but including songs from Wee Sing Around the World

​​Family dinner featuring a kid-cooked dish from any of the world cookbooks my library has.

A video and note-booking page from a relevant country in the Countries Around the World DVD series. http://www.multiculturalkids.com/dvds-videos/countries-around-the-world-52-volume-dvd-series/

A page from Color Around the World for the K4 and 1st grader.

Relevant pages from Atlas: Usborne Sticker Picture Atlas for K4, Nat Geo Beginner's World Atlas for 1st grader, and Nat Geo Kids World Atlas for 3rd grader.

Other Resources:

Prayer Journal from Winter Promise, heavily edited to fit our Catholic faith and rearranged to correspond with A Life Like Mine and Dear Pope Francis to be done over the course of the year.

Christmas around the world unit study for December. https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Around-World-Mary-Lankford/dp/0688163238

Sticker Dolly Dressing for fashion-obsessed 1st grader.

Material World - digital so I can display on big screen-just a few countries with young-kid friendly discussion questions. (found online)

A Faith Like Mine during study of Africa and Asia ​with diy worksheets featuring matching, crosswords, and fill in the blank.

Games: Flag Frenzy, Ellen McHenry's Around the World, Layers of Learning Government and Economics matching cards, Bingo and Pictionary for Geography Terms, DIY Board Game for world religions, lightning (like hot potato) to practice government, economics, and world religion terms.

Some paper craft world landmarks from http://www.papertoys.com/.

A collection of currency and other objects from around the world for the kids to handle and inspect.

Book basket choices using lists from Barefoot Meandering, Bookshark, Give Your Child the World, Guest Hollow, and my own findings.

Can you just come over and teach my kids geography this year? I am struggling with it this year.

• Like 1

Oh, no.  I managed to ignore this in my email, and even on a facebook post but I clicked your link and now I really want to do this with my second grader!  Hmmmm. . . it's only the second week of school . . . not too late to switch :)

Unless you're one of those people who just has hundreds of dollars lying around (and if you do I am up for adoption and very cute) I really wouldn't. It's only the first half and it's a lot of money. My library has all of them but Anno's China and aside from Maps I really don't see us making a purchase.

• Like 1