Menu

What to do first day in Orlando?

PeterPan

Yes, it's exciting and official, we're going back! I can't figure out the first day and am open to suggestions. Because it's going to be wicked hot, we're NOT planning on doing lots of days at Disney, only two. The other days I was thinking we'd hit the beach, Cape Canaveral, St. Augustine, whatever. We'll be staying with my mother, and her new place is on the coast, making that all easy, obvious, and convenient. 

So anyways, our plane arrives early enough (10:45 am) that we know we can be out by 12 and doing things. I made reservations for us at Boma for 5pm dinner. I've been aching to go, and the people I'll be with on this occasion are more flexible than my January crowd. 

Options?

-K1 Speed go karts, putt putt at Winter/Summerland, head to Boma for dinner, and hit Fantasia mini-golf for a round as the sun goes down

-Orlando Eye, SeaLife Aquarium, Madame Tussauds, and either funky stuff in that area, then Boma

-sneak in and do whatever activities are going at Animal Kingdom Lodge, which it looks like are face painting and cookie decorating, then busy ourselves looking out the windows essentially. Maybe move up the ressie a bit and then head to Fantasia mini golf

-Gatorland and K1Speed--But the cost of that is so high I could just take them to another day at Disney instead.

-do Hollywood Studios that day, even though we'd be arriving late, which seems insane

Is there something better? ECV friendly would help. I'll have a different person on an ECV, but still a person. On the mini-golf, are there going to be benches? She can walk, but she needs to have benches to rest. Is there a lot someone *not* staying at AKL can do when they go for dinner at Boma? Remember, we've got a very active autistic boy in the mix and he'll have been cooped up in a plane. So we want highly preferred and exciting. But low noise and ECV friendly.  :lol:

Any suggestions?

Alternately we could ditch all that and just go out to my mother's place and hang, see the beach, rest up, swim in the pool, etc. I'm planning Animal Kingdom the next day, and we'll want to leave early (7:30). It's not like I'll never get to Boma, lol. We're planning to take my father for an extended trip in the winter months, so I'll be back (said in my Terminator voice). I do want to make the trip fun for my friend I'm bringing, but it doesn't have to ALL be super-charged and fast-paced. Ok, I'd like it that way, but she might wear out, lol. 

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by OhElizabeth

And why are there so many air museums in Florida? What am I missing? My ds is really into planes, and I'm finding several of them. Been to any you recommend for an 8/9 yo?

I found the Lazy H Ranch with horse rides through swamp and stuff. That would work. An air museum would work...

Titusville. I kinda get the impression it's sleepy. Haven't been there yet. Ds likes anything with speed or good sensory, and I like good food. 

I think I've fallen into the rabbit hole on this. I've been lost in TripAdvisor for hours looking at air museums and stuff till my eyes blur.

day1-arrive, do something, Boma (unless we change that)

day 2-Animal Kingdom

day 3-leave ds with the grands and have girl time at Epcot doing the Food Fest

day 4-

day 5-

day 6-church or rest, visit brother, fish

day 7-legoland

day 8-fly

So I was thinking days 4 and 5 could be the beach, the Kennedy Space Center, maybe St. Augustine. Even Legoland I'm optional on. He likes legos a lot, but it's really right on the edge of being too young. It's hard to tell from the videos. I think it just might be a little young in a lot. Some will go over ok.

So really, even with a week, it will go really fast! And some of this military stuff my dd would enjoy better, so I'm not really rushing on that. 

Is there anything you're supposed to DO on the beach around there? My friend can take a book and sit. I guess ds can dig in the sand. He's really anxious about the sharks honestly. Like it's a serious issue for him and on his mind. So I'm not sure what we're actually supposed to DO at the beaches there.

Oh goodness. I live in Titusville. It's worse than sleepy. Sleepy at least implies a bit of quaintness. There's nothing quaint about this near-ghost town.* Okay, they're building a new shopping center but there's really nothing to do here. It's even worse for kids, though the city recently opened a splash pad. If you do stay at your mom's, the Kennedy Space Center is a good idea. Any interest in police? There's a national police museum that's actually kind of interesting. It's been quite a few years since we went but ds and his friends always enjoyed it. They have a kids area that they liked.

Other than that, there's nothing to do in the city itself. The closest beach is also a national park - Playalinda Beach/Canaveral National Seashore - and unless your mom has a pass there's an admission fee. Cape Canaveral and Cocoa beach are 30 - 40 minutes away. Be aware that riptides are strong this time of year all along the central Florida coast, so if you go, choose an area with lifeguards. Unfortunately most beaches in Brevard County don't have them. Here's a site that lists where and when lifeguards are stationed. Don't underestimate the power of a riptide. I'm not trying to scare you, just make you aware of safety precautions. Many of the people who get into trouble with the undercurrent are visitors who were unaware of the issue.

If you're staying with your mom, then I'd recommend taking either day 4 or 5 to go to St. Augustine. Do the fort for sure, wander around St. George street for a bit. If you have a car you could drive out to St. Augustine Beach and see the lighthouse. Or you can go to the Ponce Inlet LIghthouse - it's the tallest lighthouse in Florida and the second tallest masonry lighthouse in the U.S. The grounds are nice to explore too. It's south of Daytona, so not far from Titusville at all. Oh, if you do a day in St. Augustine you might want to stop on the way at Fort Matanzas. Take the boat ride over to the fort.

I know I'm giving you outdoor stuff with St. Augustine, forts, and lighthouses, but all can be done in a short time so you wouldn't be spending the entire day outside. 

*Can you tell I want out of this town. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Oh, I almost forgot about the Daytona Beach Museum of Arts and Sciences. Everyone always talks about the Orlando Science Center and forgets this one exists. Maybe because it's both an art and a science museum it doesn't get as much attention, but it has a children's wing with a lot to do. It's about a 45 minute drive from Titusville.

http://www.moas.org/

ETA to add a direct link to the children's museum.

http://www.moas.org/explore/charles-and-linda-williams-children-museum/index

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Wow, thanks for cluing me in! Then I won't feel so bad about trying to do things in Orlando! I thought maybe it was rude, but you're right that boring with nothing to do and my ds don't go well together, dear. I'll have to think about that.

I had seen a video online about the riptides, but it was for somewhere else, not Florida. I really appreciate you pointing that out. 

Ooo, that police museum is interesting! I'll at least put it on my list for some time. Or, you know, they might like doing it with ds on the day they watch him. It would be something to kill a few hours. That could really work. They were nervous about having him a full day, so that's perfect. Sounds like it's WAY safer than them trying to take him to the beach. That doesn't sound like something they can handle, not with the riptides. 

My brother lives in Cocoa, so we'll probably head down that way Sunday. I want to try to eat at Florida Fresh sometime, either this trip or another time. 

Have you seen the McLarty treasure museum in Vero? I think that's where it was. So there are pirates in St. Augustine but also pirate/treasure further south. Obviously different days.

The lighthouse is an interesting idea. I've seen pics and I know my friend can't do that. However again that's something my mother could do with ds on their day, just fine.

What are seat belt laws in Florida? I haven't even checked. I got the impression they were pretty loose. In Ohio they're really tight and they seem to keep changing every time I google. If he's 8+ and maybe 60 some pounds, is he ok without a car seat?

• Like 1

I took my kids, then 5 and 11, to Legoland last fall and they both really loved it. The 11 year old was on the edge of being too old and he thought the rides were tame, but he loved the theme and enjoyed the rides, despite thinking they were tame. I really think a Lego lover of any age could enjoy Legoland. Plus, you can get cheap homeschool tickets most weekdays in the fall. You have to call (I think) 48 hours in advance and show some kind of proof of homeschooling when you pick up the tickets.

You might also consider the Clearwater Aquarium. It's home to the famous dolphins from the Dolphin Tale movies plus lots of other cool animals. Both of my kids had a blast.

As for the first day, if you want something low-key that keeps your active kid moving you might to just walk around Disney Springs. There's free parking and you could even catch a bus to AKL from there.

• Like 1

No suggestions, but we went to Orlando in May and we ate at Sanaa (also at AKL).  It was sooooo good.  :p  

We also loved Disney Springs -- and it was mostly free stuff we did.  Walk around the big Lego and Disney stores.  Walk the boardwalk.  Lots of food options (we did T-Rex, which my 9 year old says was her most favorite place of our whole trip.)

• Like 1

Fish Lips is somewhere my parents eat at a lot with visitors, in the Cocoa area. 

Orlando science center is great fun but NOT quiet. Very loud...drive me as a sensory sensitive person nuts. Still, we have a membership since my kids love it and it's a good rainy day activity...the parking is covered and there is a covered walkway so no getting wet in our downpours. 

The Brevard Zoo is nice, not big, ECV accessible, and can be done in a day. Hot though, since it is outside. We have a membership there. 

• Like 2

No suggestions, but we went to Orlando in May and we ate at Sanaa (also at AKL).  It was sooooo good.   :p

We also loved Disney Springs -- and it was mostly free stuff we did.  Walk around the big Lego and Disney stores.  Walk the boardwalk.  Lots of food options (we did T-Rex, which my 9 year old says was her most favorite place of our whole trip.)

Hehe, I was thinking about switching from Boma to Sanaa. Then I found this lebanese place (Pita Paradise) out in Cocoa Beach, which isn't particularly out of the way since it's no farther for my mother. :D  So yeah, tough choices!  

Check out Rock Springs at Kelly Park to see if it looks up your ally...there are sidewalks for the ECV but could this person get into the water with steps/ladder?

Is the water going to be cold? I thought I read 68 degrees. My ds would need a wetsuit to tolerate that. But yeah, I was really seriously looking at it, because it could work. My friend can get in the water and ds loves the water. And it's kind of real Florida. I think there's something to that, taking the time to find what Florida is really like minus the concrete. I liked that and the horse ride at the Lazy H Ranch (Kissimmee, FL): Top Tips Before You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor  

And of course I can choose or give my friend a choice between acceptable options. I don't even know if the horse rides go in the afternoon, and I don't know if it will be miserably hot. That's one in favor of Kelly's Park and the Rock Springs. :D  

Thanks for mentioning the Orlando Science Center so much. I'm with you that it's a nice day trip on a day when you want to be indoors. It would blend the ages of the party really well.

I think my mother is nervous, because honestly it has always been really hard for her to do anything with ds. My dd was always very easy for them to play with and have a relationship with. My ds is much harder to do that, with his autism. If you're cool with autism, it can be fine. But for most people he's a slap upside the head, like what do I do with that... And he's had behaviors with them before when he was being dragged along to things we were all going to. So she knows how bad it CAN be and is scared. But she WANTS to have a nice time with him! 

So I'm just trying to sift through things till I find things I know will be highly preferred that they can do together. Irony is, I could plan lots of Disney days. They'll be eligible for resident tickets, and I think I'm going to at least get myself an annual pass for Disney. With the food discounts and the size of the party, we'll break even between this trip and January. The thing holding me back on that is the HEAT and the drive. I just think it makes more sense to limit our Disney days this time and do things that are more eco, in the water, or indoors. Or am I all wet on that? This would be for a very soon trip, in one month. Not end of October, when the temps drop, but while the averages and humidity are still high. I think I can tolerate it, because I do the steam room a lot. Actually, I'm gonna melt too, lol. 

Anyways, that's how I took the advice from the other thread, that locals would never tromp concrete at Disney in Sept/early October if they could be hitting the beach or in the water. Yes? We can bulk up on Disney days in January/February, when it's nice...

Fish Lips is somewhere my parents eat at a lot with visitors, in the Cocoa area. 

Orlando science center is great fun but NOT quiet. Very loud...drive me as a sensory sensitive person nuts. Still, we have a membership since my kids love it and it's a good rainy day activity...the parking is covered and there is a covered walkway so no getting wet in our downpours. 

The Brevard Zoo is nice, not big, ECV accessible, and can be done in a day. Hot though, since it is outside. We have a membership there. 

Yes, the Brevard Zoo is on my short list of things we could do that first day. If we did that, we could eat at Fish Lips or that Pita Paradise. I need to go look up Fish Lips, hehe. I saw mention of it and haven't looked at the menu yet. It's pathetic to say the itinerary is driven by food, but there you go. :D

I wear ear plugs and I have two db levels. The loud would be a problem for ds, you're right. He totally flipped out one night at Disney during the fireworks. So you're right he could get in that noise and just be DONE and want to leave, sigh. 

This is a totally separate thing, but one knock on Legoland, as I look at it, is it doesn't really seem multi-generational and TOGETHER. Like at Disney, they could do things TOGETHER with him. They could ride in the cars at Tomorrowland Speedway TOGETHER and build a memory. Because he's hard for them to connect with, I think that's a really important element. 

Well my mom is really psyched about the police museum and the warbird museum. I think she's gonna go for the warbids the day she watches him. And you know if we send him with a budget for souvenirs and a box of legos to build afterward, he'll be set for hours or at least a while. He'll see those planes and want to build them. 

For you St. Augustine fans, have you done:

-Whetstone Chocolate Factory Tour

-Alligator Farm

-El Galeon

-St. Augustine Wild Reserve

-Pirate and Treasure Museum

-Anastasia State Park--are there shells here? I read the other Atlantic beaches tend not to have shells.

I know the Castillo de San Marcos is the logical thing, and he might tolerate that. However he really LIKES chocolate, and the real Galeon might go over better than the motorized costume pirate ship gig (Black Raven), dunno. Remember, he's brains of a 12 yo with the patience of a 6 yo. He can be a real trip to take places, even if he likes it. And my mother has been to St. Augustine already (and I HATE history), so we don't have to be thorough, only fun. If we're having fun together, it's good enough.

My friend wanted to know if there are glass bottom boat rides anywhere. I don't want to drive to the Gulf side or Miami, sigh. Well I'd love to go to the Gulf side, but I don't think that's what we're doing. It doesn't make sense since we're staying in Titusville. That axes Busch Gardens this trip too. I'd do Busch Gardens with this group otherwise, sure.

What are seat belt laws in Florida? I haven't even checked. I got the impression they were pretty loose. In Ohio they're really tight and they seem to keep changing every time I google. If he's 8+ and maybe 60 some pounds, is he ok without a car seat?

I'm not familiar with the laws. Both of my boys are adults and both of my grandsons are still small enough to be in seats, so it's not something I've paid attention to. You could find out online.

We love Fish Lips. It's less expensive and more kid-friendly than Florida's Fresh Grill. Plus it's at the port so you can see the cruise ships as well as other boats. We just went earlier this month to celebrate dh's birthday. DSS brought the grandsons (ages 5 and 3) and they had fun watching the boats.

I'll switch with you! I hate Orlando!

SaveSave

Ha! No thanks. I hate when I have to drive over there. I want to stay in Brevard, just move further south so we can be closer to family and friends. And out of this ghost town.

Is the water going to be cold? I thought I read 68 degrees. 

I don't know about Rock Springs specifically but the water temps in Florida springs run from the mid 60s to the mid 70s. Brrr! I can't swim in any of the springs because it's too cold for me. A lot of people love it though, and find it refreshing. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Fyi, The drive from Daytona area to Disney on I4 was pretty long last spring because of construction. I believe it completes in 2021, groan. You have other options out of Titusville but I think most are toll roads.

We have been to the Treasure Museum in Vero many years ago. My kids liked it but were rather obsessed with Pirate treasure before we went. We spent several hours with a metal detector on that beach. We had fun but for kids that are not extremely interested I am not sure that it is worth the drive. I think it would take 2 hours or so.

We really enjoyed St. Augustine and went many times. My kids liked the fort and the walk along the water. We usually got lucky and saw dolphins by the fort.

• Like 1

Oh a perfect place might be the Skeleton museum!!!! Not loud, air conditioning, accessible, etc.

https://m.viator.com/tour/Orlando/Skeletons-Animals-Unveiled-Museum-Admission/0-13504P1/info.htm

There are shops and food places there too including the tervis tumbler store.

Ok, I like that. I had read about it, but I needed a personal rec saying it was worth doing. I mean, it is kinda odd... 

So I think our first choice is that Rock Springs/Kelly Park tubing. If the weather is inclement, then indoors to the Skeleton museum. And yes, I know the Rock Springs thing would take us out of the way of Boma. We'll survive. Thinking we could eat in Sanford on the way to Titusville if we do that. If weather is bad and we do the Skeleton museum, guess we'd just hit a restaurant near the Skeleton. Any great suggestions in either of those places? Anything fun and memorable? 

Yeah, I didn't think we'd like the Skeleton thing but we had discount tickets so went. And it was really cool. They had a display where you could watch the bugs they use to clean the bones! And a scavenger hunt thing to do as you walk through. I think we ate at Yardhouse, mainly because my husband is a Darden employee and gets a discount, lol. 

Oh, if you do the springs, bring your own tub/raft/etc. You can get cheap ones at any walmart or publix, and they are more comfortable and easier to carry than the giant inner tube ones that they rent outside the park. 

But yes, the water IS cold. Very cold. But you get kind of used to it. Maybe even think about getting your DS a shortie wetsuit? My 4 yr old wears one and it totally works and he can tolerate the cold water fine with it on. WE use it in pools too :)

• Like 1

Willow Tree Cafe  I must have flipped my lid, because this is looking very fun! We could swim and go there. Hopefully Rock Springs has a bathhouse. Does it? LOL Anyways, this restaurant is german, which our family likes. And not only is it fun for dinner, but the lunch looks really tasty. Like I'm thinking we could come back through another day and do their lunch. Like we could actually toss that 3rd day at Disney I was thinking of, which to me sounds hot and miserable, and do lunch here and do some stuff in Sanford or down in Orlando...

Is it actually tasty or is it more fun but average tasty?

Ok, sorry to bug you here, but I think I don't fully understand the springs and tubing. For my friend with her ECV, she would walk to the water, get on the tube, and enjoy a peaceful ride to the end where it lands in a swimming area? And then most people would get out, WALK back up (along paths? along a wood bridge trail?) and do it again a few times. Like my nut ds will definitely do that. But for the person who rafted to the end and is happily floating or swimming, then what? When they get out, can someone pick them up in a car there, or do they have to walk up somewhere? How far?

Does the person have to be able to walk on the board trails to get to the starting point to raft down?

I found some map online. It looks like there is parking at the spring head and parking at the end. Am I seeing that correctly? And a boardwalk that goes between. And bummer is she'd need the ECV at the bottom to do it again. I doubt she would do it again. She'd probably just swim and enjoy herself. Any advice on that? Am I understanding it correctly?

Edited by OhElizabeth

Ok, sorry to bug you here, but I think I don't fully understand the springs and tubing. For my friend with her ECV, she would walk to the water, get on the tube, and enjoy a peaceful ride to the end where it lands in a swimming area? And then most people would get out, WALK back up (along paths? along a wood bridge trail?) and do it again a few times. Like my nut ds will definitely do that. But for the person who rafted to the end and is happily floating or swimming, then what? When they get out, can someone pick them up in a car there, or do they have to walk up somewhere? How far?

Does the person have to be able to walk on the board trails to get to the starting point to raft down?

I found some map online. It looks like there is parking at the spring head and parking at the end. Am I seeing that correctly? And a boardwalk that goes between. And bummer is she'd need the ECV at the bottom to do it again. I doubt she would do it again. She'd probably just swim and enjoy herself. Any advice on that? Am I understanding it correctly?

It's not very far from the top to the bottom. there are also places along the way to start and get out. It takes maybe a few minutes to walk. Honestly, we float down a few times then just hang out in one spot, it's plenty fun to do without floating down. In fact, I'd suggest going in half way down, as it is a bit rocky further up, for the person with mobility issues. People can take turns, so that someone can bring her ECV down to the bottom for her to ride back up. Do that once or twice, then hang out in the area where there is no current. There are ramps on the boardwalk, but be careful they can be a bit slick when wet. 

As for tubes, the walmart ones are plenty sturdy, but I'd pick up a battery operated pump to fill them all. 

• Like 1

Just an FYI, T-Rex at Disney Springs is the absolute loudest restaurant I have ever been to.  Louder then Rainforest Cafe.  Someone mentioned it upthread.  They weren't really recommending it but I just wanted to point that out in case you got a crazy idea to go there.  

Edited by zimom
  • Like 1

Just an FYI, T-Rex at Disney Springs is the absolute loudest restaurant I have ever been to.  Louder then Rainforest Cafe.  Someone mentioned it upthread.  They weren't really recommending it but I just wanted to point that out in case you got a crazy idea to go there.  

Total sensory overload...I just went in to use the bathroom and was overwhelmed. Would never eat there.

• Like 2