Menu

Pet and Home Again Type Programs

MommyLiberty5013

Our dog is microchipped. Every year we spend a fee to have her chip enrolled in a finding program. This year it's up to $20. Not a huge deal.

My question is, for a chip to work and match a lost dog with its owner, does the chip have to be enrolled in a for-cost program?? Or can a shelter or vet just scan and get a match?

What company do you use?

All my dogs have been microchipped and I haven't paid anything except an initial registration fee (and maybe a small fee when I changed addresses--I can't remember for sure). Definitely no yearly fee, though.

We use a program called Home Again. At first it was only $9 per year back in 2007/08. Now, it's up to $20 annually. Still, that is not that much for 365 days of coverage. But I wondered if it's redundant.

From the FAQ's on the Home Again website:

"As an existing HomeAgain customer, you are entitled to basic recovery service for life. None of the annual membership benefits (Lost Pet Alerts, Emergency Medical Hotline, Travel Assistance, etc.) will be available to you unless you choose to renew your membership for $19.99/year."

My understanding is that since you have registered the microchip, any vet or shelter should be able to obtain your contact information after scanning it. You're paying extra so that if your pet is lost, they will send out "Lost Pet Alerts" to vets and shelters, provide "Lost Pet" posters for you to print out, etc. 

I use another microchip company and they have a similar "added benefits" plan. I didn't bother signing up.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1