Menu

Now that 888 is almost over...

...is anyone going to organize a 999? I am not going to finish my 888, but since I didn't start until April I feel good about the number of books I have read. I sat down last night and started a list of books I plan to read in 2009. I could easily fill out 9 categories with 9 books each.

I would guess following the same rules from this year you could overlap 9 books so that would be a minimum of 72 books to read. Is anyone thinking of doing this?

Please explain this to me. I'm all :bigear: !!

http://triple8challenge.blogspot.com/

This is the 888 blog. You can also do a search here for several threads. It is a reading challenge. Basically you read 8 books each from 8 different categories. You decide the books, you create the categories. Several members participated this year, that is how I found out about it.

I thought it would be fun to up the ante for a 9/9/9.

I don't know that I will, though I am tempted. I found myself reading books only because they fit one of my 888 categories and not because it was a book I was truly interested enough (before 888) to read. I know the lists can be altered... and mine were, for both the categories and some of the book choices, 3 times in fact! I liked being guided in my reading, however this felt too forced at times. I've still got 3 books left for 888, it's looming over me. EEK! :blink:

That said, I'm new to using reading lists and love knowing where I'm going next AND yet being able to sneak away from a preplanned read to something that catches my eye at that moment.

I don't know that I will, though I am tempted. I found myself reading books only because they fit one of my 888 categories and not because it was a book I was truly interested enough (before 888) to read. I know the lists can be altered... and mine were, for both the categories and some of the book choices, 3 times in fact! I liked being guided in my reading, however this felt too forced at times. I've still got 3 books left for 888, it's looming over me. EEK! :blink:

That said, I'm new to using reading lists and love knowing where I'm going next AND yet being able to sneak away from a preplanned read to something that catches my eye at that moment.

I added an obligatory "other" category for next year. I like to have the freedom to be spontaneous.

My dh balances the checkbook- thought ya'll might be happy to know that!:lol:

Well, I'll probably be up for it- it's just getting to the library and getting the books back on time. My ability to do that is closely related to my ability to talk coherently about math!

oh..and he wants me to add that he teaches the h.s. math around here.

I am trying to start a 999 List for next year. I have posted about it on my blog and put a poll on there to see if there is any interest. I would start a blog page for people to get info on the list and it would be a twist from this year's list..........

Check it out and let me know what you think

http://redefiningparadise.blogspot.com/2008/11/poll-of-sorts.html

I am trying to start a 999 List for next year. I have posted about it on my blog and put a poll on there to see if there is any interest. I would start a blog page for people to get info on the list and it would be a twist from this year's list..........

Check it out and let me know what you think

http://redefiningparadise.blogspot.com/2008/11/poll-of-sorts.html

I think your idea is fantastic. However, I will probably stick with a reading 999 list for myself. I have other systems of accountability in place for other areas of my life and I tend to compartmentalize them.

I have a wonderful book I used (see I can't get away from books!) to help with some focused goals for one year that I did a self-improvement project similar to what you are talking about. I'll see if I can dig up the title this week.

I guess I will start compiling a list for 09 with 999

I did feel a bit restricted in my reading with the 888 list. I know this is due to my personality though, and I hope to work on not feeling this way next year. I ended up reading way more than the required books last year and really enjoyed branching out and reading books outside my comfort zone. I actually read Jane Austen for the first time last year due to the list. Now I have an entire pile of Austen related books I want to dig into. Needles to say you know what my first catagory will be. I hope everyone will post catagories as they come up with them.

Happy Reading!!!!