Menu

Fools rush in...(Apologies!)

fairfarmhand

Wow- I didn't know that. Do you have a source?

I have Celiac and am weary of people telling me that it's a Western phenomena that 'ancient grains of Europe' can solve.

I totally flubbed the % in Italy, it is 1%, I'm a chronic speed reader! 

It is an iceberg, as we know that 80-90%+ of people with Celiac disease are not diagnosed. Sorry to say for those people tired of hearing about gf diets it is only going to be increasing. People with stomach problems are just a fraction of those with CD, although that is what it is mainly associated with, a fair number of those with CD are asymptomatic. Undiagnosed CD increases your risks for various cancers. 

Celiac disease occurs worldwide with nearly the same frequency as here(although in the developing world it is often not diagnosed), however, it is rare in the Far East and South Africa as people from those areas generally do not have the genes for it. 1/3 to 40%(depending on where you read) of people have the genes for developing Celiac disease. In people with a first-degree relative, as many as 1 in 22 have Celiac disease, that is nearly 25%!  So, not everyone who has the genes develops Celiac Disease, the problem is that we don't exactly understand what triggers Celiac Disease to develop in those with the genes. We think the age of introduction to gluten and the amount of gluten consumed plays into this as was shown in Sweden the rates went from 1% to 3% when feeding guidelines were changed- mothers were encouraged to stop breastfeeding at 6 months and introduce solids, simultaneously the amount of gluten in food was increased. 

For those not in the know you are more likely to CD if you have another auto-immune disease and if you have CD you are more likely to have another auto-immune disease- 

This article goes over the increasing rates of Celiac disease, citing a recent study and previous ones.

This article goes over the rates of Celiac Disease on the Finland/Russian border, +1 for the hygiene hypothesis :)

Maybe more telling, this disparity holds for other autoimmune and allergic diseases. Finland ranks first in the world for Type 1 autoimmune diabetes. But among Russian Karelians, the disease is nearly six times less frequent. Antibodies indicative of autoimmune thyroiditis are also less prevalent, and the risk of developing allergies, as gauged by skin-prick tests, is one-fourth as common.

At the time of this research, roughly a decade ago, Russia’s per-capita income was one-fifteenth of Finland’s. Analysis of house dust and potable water suggests that the Russian Karelians encountered a greater variety and quantity of microbes, including many that were absent in Finland.

Not surprisingly, they also suffered from more fecal-oral infections. For example, three of four Russian Karelian children harbored Helicobacter pylori, a corkscrew-shaped bacterium, while just one in 20 Finnish children did. The bacterium can cause ulcers and stomach cancer, but mounting evidence suggests that it may also protect against asthma.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past and even now in poor countries people with food issues suffer quietly. My FIL was so allergic to rice when he was a child in the Philippines that he wasn't even able to walk because his eczema was so bad. No one ever thought to stop giving him rice. Some of it was poverty. Some of it was lack of understanding back then about food allergies.

He's had lifelong problems. Sometimes I wonder how different his life and health would have been if he and his parents had approached things differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That poor child.

My DS has multiple life threatening allergies. He would not be alive if we didn't avoid certain foods. We were so focused on those that we didn't take his non-anaphylactic allergies seriously at first. His eczema and asthma were completely out of control and we could not fix it. A new allergist put the dots together and tested further foods. Wheat and dairy. He has igE mediated allergies to those, and we had no idea! That means those reactions that are limited to eczema and asthma now can become anaphylaxis at any moment. True allergies. We eliminated those foods and his skin is normal. He can talk without wheezing, though he still needs three preventive asthma meds daily.

For the sake of education, I'm going to post our allergy list:

Anaphylactic allergies in our home:

Peanuts

Lentils

All tree nuts

Sesame (so no hummus here)

Banana

Avocado

Shellfish

Non food anaphylactic allergies: latex and poison ivy

Allergies that are igE mediated but haven't yet caused anaphylaxis, but do cause serious, life altering issues:

Wheat - eczema so bad there is no sleeping, walking. He can eat things labeled gluten free, but some things have gluten but no wheat - he can also eat those. It's tricky.

Dairy - uncontrollable asthma

Oral Allergy Syndrome, which aren't technically true allergies but cause severe mouth/throat itching and hives around mouth:

Reacts to all raw foods with the exception of strawberries, blueberries, apples, grapes, onion. He has not tried kiwi because it's likely to be an anaphylactic allergy.

That list may be missing something. The sad part is that this is my adventurous eater. This kid would happily try and eat anything. No pickiness from him. DD has no allergies and would happily live on birthday cake, air, and yogurt.

DS's food allergies are not a choice. Not a fad. Not a trend. It's life and death for him.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

That poor child.

My DS has multiple life threatening allergies. He would not be alive if we didn't avoid certain foods. We were so focused on those that we didn't take his non-anaphylactic allergies seriously at first. His eczema and asthma were completely out of control and we could not fix it. A new allergist put the dots together and tested further foods. Wheat and dairy. He has igE mediated allergies to those, and we had no idea! That means those reactions that are limited to eczema and asthma now can become anaphylaxis at any moment. True allergies. We eliminated those foods and his skin is normal. He can talk without wheezing, though he still needs three preventive asthma meds daily.

For the sake of education, I'm going to post our allergy list:

Anaphylactic allergies in our home:

Peanuts

Lentils

All tree nuts

Sesame (so no hummus here)

Banana

Avocado

Shellfish

Non food anaphylactic allergies: latex and poison ivy

Allergies that are igE mediated but haven't yet caused anaphylaxis, but do cause serious, life altering issues:

Wheat - eczema so bad there is no sleeping, walking. He can eat things labeled gluten free, but some things have gluten but no wheat - he can also eat those. It's tricky.

Dairy - uncontrollable asthma

Oral Allergy Syndrome, which aren't technically true allergies but cause severe mouth/throat itching and hives around mouth:

Reacts to all raw foods with the exception of strawberries, blueberries, apples, grapes, onion. He has not tried kiwi because it's likely to be an anaphylactic allergy.

That list may be missing something. The sad part is that this is my adventurous eater. This kid would happily try and eat anything. No pickiness from him. DD has no allergies and would happily live on birthday cake, air, and yogurt.

DS's food allergies are not a choice. Not a fad. Not a trend. It's life and death for him.

I'm sorry. That is so terribly restrictive and I am sure you worry about him developing new allergies.

My Dh had the same kind of eczema that his dad had. He didn't learn to walk until he was four years old because the eczema on the bottom of his feet was so bad. But my ILs mocked me for exclusively breastfeeding my son in an attempt to keep him from allergies. And they've repeatedly ignored allergies in my children. Alas- Ds' eczema was so bad when I introduced solids that he would be writhing in pain. I took him off solids immediately but he was probably reacting to what I ate too and I just couldn't figure it out. It was worst in the diaper area. It's amazing that no one called CPS on me because when I changed him he would be screaming "no, Mommy, no". Things got better once he was potty trained but he was pretty restricted food wise during the preschool years. Fortunately for him I think that the early restrictions helped because Ds outgrew all of them as far as we can tell.

Well, it's not always that simple. Dh can't have dairy. He's not lactose intolerant. It gives him sinus infections. No test will show this. But years of eating dairy followed by sinus infections is hard to ignore- that is once we were able to narrow down all the many variables in life when it comes to what might cause an infection. In the meantime ten years of constant sinus infections has left him diabetic.

casein (milk protein) intolerance/allergy is a "thing", totally separate from lactose (milk sugar) intolerance.  and they use casein in a lot of other things.

my sinuses are also happier when I, among other things, stay away from milk.

• Like 1