Menu

5 Days in New York City?

swimmermom3

My 19yo son has the week off from his internship and is currently in New York City. 

What are the must-sees for him while he is there? He definitely wants historical.

He is very capable with mass transit and thinks that while NY subways may not be as attractive as D.C.'s, that they seem to be plentiful and timely.  He did call from Central Park while waiting around to catch his subway to his Airbnb.

He is meeting up with his Brooklynite roommate this evening.

Okay, here's a coincidence -- dd has this week off from her internship, too, and is spending it in NYC.  She's staying in Brooklyn with one of her friends from college.

She wants to go to shows, though.  And is supposed to meet up with our other dd, who is also in NYC this week. 

For history, isn't there a tenement museum?

• Like 3

I think Ellis Island is interesting.

This is on his list!

Okay, here's a coincidence -- dd has this week off from her internship, too, and is spending it in NYC.  She's staying in Brooklyn with one of her friends from college.

She wants to go to shows, though.  And is supposed to meet up with our other dd, who is also in NYC this week. 

For history, isn't there a tenement museum?

Are you kidding?  If I remember correctly, they are doing their internship in the same location? 

What shows do you think she will see. I doubt ds's roommate will be into it, but ds and I drove a 6 hour round-trip several times a year to see the productions performed by an excellent Shakespearean company that did other authors as well. 

I know the big ticket shows in NYC are sold out and super expensive, but I wonder about student performances or night of stand-by tickets?

Yeah, they're both in the same town.  It's starting to sound like the beginning of a novel or movie -- maybe they'll meet in a few years, having managed to just miss each other dozens of times.

As for shows, I think student rush tickets exist, and there are other ways to get cheap tickets if you're not too picky. I have no idea what shows she wants to see, other than she thinks Evan Hanson would be lame (younger dd is going to see it tomorrow night, and is really thrilled about it -- handy that older isn't jealous!).  Her college friend is interning for a couple of theater companies, so she's probably hoping to get in free to things he's involved in, or something to that effect.

• Like 2

Historical, take one of the many walking tours offered throughout the city.

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/tour-calendar/ (This is really pay what you want)

https://www.bigonion.com/

Or our family favorites, one of the food tours.

http://m.sidewalksofny.com/site/lower-east-side-eats.php

Central Park also offers various tours.

http://www.centralpark.com/guide/tours.html

Tons of museums to choose from.

For Chinese food he should head to Wo Hops Basement in Chinatown. Not the upstairs restaurant but the basement. For lunch he should go to Vanessa's Dumpling House.

Economy candy on the lower east side is better than Dylan's Candy Bar.

Serendipity for Frozen Hot Chocolate

There is a museum for everything. Some are suggested donation, such as the Met.

• Like 2

Okay, here is the rundown for the first 24 hours:

Central Park

World Trade Center Memorial - photos are stunning, especially of the Oculus - he was there at night

The Stonewall Inn - which I had to look up - ds's uncle and his husband financed part of ds's internship costs and ds always tries to send meaningful photos

The Highline - ds is interested in urban "redevelopment"

ETA: Times Square - "very cool, but crowded" - I loved the video.

He has tickets for Ellis Island on Thursday and is really looking forward to that. I am glad that he remembered to bring his student ID to defray some of the expenses. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by swimmermom3
  • Like 2

This evening they went to the Strand.  Dare I tell them that it sounds like such a homeschooler thing to do in NYC?

I gave ds the suggestion. I had to look that one up too. Oh my! I would love to go there - but then dh and I have a retirement goal of trailer traveling to see all the National Parks and Presidential Libraries.

Well, you gotta go to The Strand. They've got miles and miles of books.

For shows, they can always go to the booth at Times Square or South Street Seaport and try to get rush discounts.

I passed this along too. Hmmm, I just got a cryptic text, "Never going back to Times Square lol."  Apparently, he went there as well last night and is just now sending a video. "Very cool, but crowded as ----." 

The tenement museum was a highlight for us. And there are more museums than you can shake a stick at.

I looked this up and passed it along to ds. That is perfect for him. I hope he has time.

I passed this along too. Hmmm, I just got a cryptic text, "Never going back to Times Square lol."  Apparently, he went there as well last night and is just now sending a video. "Very cool, but crowded as ----." 

I feel exactly the same way about Times Square. Once is enough! When we go into the city to visit MIL every couple of weeks, the kids and DH always want to take the "scenic route" home, which means right through center of it, and I dread the traffic and visual chaos. I'll spend time in just about any part of Manhattan you want, but save me from Times Square :lol: 

• Like 2

With 5 days I'd hit the Frick Museum. It shows how New York aristocracy once lived.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. That definitely hits the "historical" checkbox. 

The Metropolitan Museum of Art. My favorite place on the planet. Tell him to make sure he goes to the roof garden and looks out over the city and Central Park.

I also agree with Ellis Island. And maybe a walking tour? 

Ds's first visit to NYC was this past school year with his roommate. He had only two days, one alone and one with roommate. He said he lost his whole day alone at the Met and he has plans to go back to see - shock of all shocks - the Modern and Contemporary portion.  This stuns me as a few years ago, we took him to the Legion of Honor and the de Young in San Francisco. He loved the first and loathed the later. I think we rushed him out of a gallery where he was making salty comments about a huge white canvas with a blue border. During his first college semester, he ended up in a Modern Art History class for a Gen Ed requirement. He would send me "Just shoot me" texts along with photos of white on white artwork.

Now, he says the class actually gave him greater appreciation, so besides the Met, he plans to go to the Guggenheim.

Ds's first visit to NYC was this past school year with his roommate. He had only two days, one alone and one with roommate. He said he lost his whole day alone at the Met and he has plans to go back to see - shock of all shocks - the Modern and Contemporary portion.  This stuns me as a few years ago, we took him to the Legion of Honor and the de Young in San Francisco. He loved the first and loathed the later. I think we rushed him out of a gallery where he was making salty comments about a huge white canvas with a blue border. During his first college semester, he ended up in a Modern Art History class for a Gen Ed requirement. He would send me "Just shoot me" texts along with photos of white on white artwork.

Now, he says the class actually gave him greater appreciation, so besides the Met, he plans to go to the Guggenheim.

I'm not a big fan of modern/contemporary myself, so I totally identify with your DH :lol: But there's definitely something about seeing it in context alongside more "classic" styles that helps me appreciate it more. I hope he loves that element of his trip!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

Historical, take one of the many walking tours offered throughout the city.

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/tour-calendar/ (This is really pay what you want)

https://www.bigonion.com/

Or our family favorites, one of the food tours.

http://m.sidewalksofny.com/site/lower-east-side-eats.php

Central Park also offers various tours.

http://www.centralpark.com/guide/tours.html

Tons of museums to choose from.

For Chinese food he should head to Wo Hops Basement in Chinatown. Not the upstairs restaurant but the basement. For lunch he should go to Vanessa's Dumpling House.

Economy candy on the lower east side is better than Dylan's Candy Bar.

Serendipity for Frozen Hot Chocolate

There is a museum for everything. Some are suggested donation, such as the Met.

He was thrilled with the Wo Hops suggestion and the food tour.  Coming from the West Coast and food carts, D.C. has been a let-down food-wise. Sailor Dude loves the cheap and tasty food in NYC so far.

Wow, it sounds like he is really making the most of his time there. Good for him!

At the last check-in today, he was heading to City Hall and then walking the Brooklyn Bridge. I then received a photo of 3 white canvases that looked exactly like the white gallery wall behind them while he was at MoMA with the text, "Nooooooooooo!" The plan was then to head to the Guggenheim. Tomorrow his roommate is taking him to Long Island and the beach - or is that the shore on the East coast?

He was thrilled with the Wo Hops suggestion and the food tour. Coming from the West Coast and food carts, D.C. has been a let-down food-wise. Sailor Dude loves the cheap and tasty food in NYC so far.

Glad I could help.

If they are heading to the island for the beach they are probably going to Jones Beach. Which is fabulous. Although I may be biased that the south shore of Long Island has the nicest beaches since I grew up there.

• Like 1