Menu

Easy dinner suggestions for large family group at beach?

Laurie4b

Our extended family will be vacationing together in one beach house later this summer. 

I want to do a good bit of the cooking to take a load off my step-mother. I am kind of a basic cook and thought I could use some ideas. 

I want to stay away from red meat fatty sauces, and sugar.

I will have a good bit of zucchini, green beans, and cherry tomatoes from our garden and have easy access to fresh produce and fresh fish. 

Here's stuff I already cook that is pretty easy:

• Cajun chicken (I make the seasoning up in a large jar ahead of time and just sprinkle) , rice, veges.  
  • Plain baked chicken with veges, pasta, and garlic/olive oil
  • Fish tacos 
  • Fish (whatever is cheap and looks good that day) in parchment
  • Scallops & pasta

I have an Instant pot. I rarely use it, but if anyone has a yummy recipe not using red meat, fatty sauce, or a lot of sugar, I'd love to have it. 

Thanks in advance! 

For big groups we like to do some variation on "make our own": 

Salads...just put out a base and then lots of toppings. 

Pizza...can buy the crust and let people do their toppings 

Tacos or bowls...have rice, tortillas and/or greens as bases, beans, chicken, fish, then lots of toppings 

Baked Potato Bar...You can do them in the crockpot. I don't have an Instant Pot but I would assume you could use it also. 
Pasta Bar...Some kind of pasta, then maybe one or two sauces (pesto or tomato based), then you could have options of veggies and cheeses as toppings. 

• Like 3

Big platters of spanakopita.

Indian style chicken in the instant pot if you can get some of Aldi's simmer sauces.

Make your own salads, either pasta or garden. Cook up some chicken or shrimp, have a bunch of veggies and other toppings, lettuce and/or pasta, a handful of dressings. Some rolls and watermelon or corn on the cob on the side.

Quick questions:

We can really help you brainstorm if you add a few more details... :lurk5:  

How many adults, how many kiddos?

How long will you be at the beach?

Are you considering all meals or just dinners?

Will you have access to a grill and if so, how large is it? Do you (or anyone else) enjoy grilling?

One of my go to meals at a beach cottage is grilled chicken breasts. So incredibly versatile! They can be served as a stand alone meat with or without an accompanying sauce (balsamic, bbq, fruity, spicy, ethnic) OR served on a bun with condiments, vegetables, cheese, etc OR sliced into chunks and used as the basis for a caesar or any other type of green salad. Your side dishes will vary depending on how you serve the chicken.  Often times, I offer a choice of several of these options at the same meal.  Leftover chicken is also very convenient to have. Think chicken salad sandwiches or straight chicken salad made with leftover grilled chicken.  If you make the chicken salad as you are tidying up from dinner, you have a premade head start on the next day's lunch!

Depending on whether or not it is convenient to use an oven, roast chicken (do as many as you can get in the oven) is a very simple way to serve poultry.  I would probably serve sides similar to those served with fried chicken...(mashed potatoes, baked beans, almost any vegetable or two.)

Consider bringing a couple of homemade premade frozen items.  It is really nice to know that once in awhile, the main component of a meal is already prepared.

FISH!!!   Any way, any day!   :hurray:

Have fun, sounds like a great time!

• Like 1

Mexican Pile On is my go to for an easy large group meal. We use hamburger meat, well seasoned, but you could provide chicken instead.

Then lettuce, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, peppers, onions. Add raisins ( like dried cranberries) All in separate bowls. Add a large bowl of Fritos or Mexi-chips. Catalina dressing.

We also put out flour tortillas and a bowl of refried beans. People can either do a salad or make a taco.

You can do a lot of prep before you go.

• Like 1

Quick questions:

We can really help you brainstorm if you add a few more details... :lurk5:  

How many adults, how many kiddos?  5-13 adults (people will be coming and going.) 

How long will you be at the beach?  2 weeks

Are you considering all meals or just dinners? Dinners

Will you have access to a grill and if so, how large is it? Do you (or anyone else) enjoy grilling?  I just checked: there is a grill. I don't grill  but at least one other person going does.  

One of my go to meals at a beach cottage is grilled chicken breasts. So incredibly versatile! They can be served as a stand alone meat with or without an accompanying sauce (balsamic, bbq, fruity, spicy, ethnic) OR served on a bun with condiments, vegetables, cheese, etc OR sliced into chunks and used as the basis for a caesar or any other type of green salad. Your side dishes will vary depending on how you serve the chicken.  Often times, I offer a choice of several of these options at the same meal.  Leftover chicken is also very convenient to have. Think chicken salad sandwiches or straight chicken salad made with leftover grilled chicken.  If you make the chicken salad as you are tidying up from dinner, you have a premade head start on the next day's lunch!

Depending on whether or not it is convenient to use an oven, roast chicken (do as many as you can get in the oven) is a very simple way to serve poultry.  I would probably serve sides similar to those served with fried chicken...(mashed potatoes, baked beans, almost any vegetable or two.)

Consider bringing a couple of homemade premade frozen items.  It is really nice to know that once in awhile, the main component of a meal is already prepared.

FISH!!!   Any way, any day!   :hurray:  Yes, fish & scallops will definitely be on the menu.

Have fun, sounds like a great time!

Thanks for all the help! 

• Like 1

Our extended family will be vacationing together in one beach house later this summer. 

I want to do a good bit of the cooking to take a load off my step-mother. I am kind of a basic cook and thought I could use some ideas. 

I want to stay away from red meat fatty sauces, and sugar.

I will have a good bit of zucchini, green beans, and cherry tomatoes from our garden and have easy access to fresh produce and fresh fish. 

Here's stuff I already cook that is pretty easy:

• Cajun chicken (I make the seasoning up in a large jar ahead of time and just sprinkle) , rice, veges.  
  • Plain baked chicken with veges, pasta, and garlic/olive oil
  • Fish tacos 
  • Fish (whatever is cheap and looks good that day) in parchment
  • Scallops & pasta

I have an Instant pot. I rarely use it, but if anyone has a yummy recipe not using red meat, fatty sauce, or a lot of sugar, I'd love to have it. 

Thanks in advance! 

Snacky Plates and Snacky Salads.  Basically have lots of different cold cuts, raw veggies, fruits, prepped salad bases (lettuce and whatnot) all ready to go in containers, then lay them out buffet/smorgasbord style and let everyone prep their own sandwiches, salads, or plates.  This is a good option to have on hand because it can be pulled out at whatever point someone needs to eat with minimal time to prep and deploy if you have prepped the stuff into ready-to-eat shape earlier in the beach visit.

• Like 1

Clambakes are super-easy if you have enough folks who will actually eat the clams. In my extended family, those of us who don't like clams (such as me) get sandwiches that night. Growing up, it used to be the kids' job to go dig up the clams first thing in the morning but at some point the government started issuing pollution warnings about eating shellfish from the beach.

• Like 1

OK...a few more ideas:

Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs (marinated teriyaki chicken, green pepper, red onion, pineapple chunks) grilled on skewers. Fun for the kids. Serve with rice and fresh fruit and maybe some of your yummy garden vegetables

Pre-made (and frozen) shredded pork or chicken.  Serve on toasted buns with the usual sandwich side items.  Corn on the cob goes well with hot sandwiches.  *If possible pack a large crock pot to take with you.  It could come in very handy, if only for reheating items.*

Bake a ham on site.  Serve with scalloped potatoes and a vegetable or two of your choice.  You might have leftovers for sandwiches.

Italian Night.  Fettucini with alfredo sauce, or linguini, four cheese ravioli, or a hearty vegetarian lasagna (you mentioned no red meat) or any pasta with a sauce other than red. Serve with crusty bread, fruit, and maybe sauteed fresh green beans.

Tex Mex Night. Serve the meat of your choice sliced with your choice of: warm tortillas, beans, grilled caramelized onions, cheese, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole. Fresh fruit wedges and chips and salsa round this out.  A pan of chicken enchiladas would also go well

Marinated pork tenderloin (or two)  bake it in the oven. A simple homemade cherry sauce adds some sparkle to this dish.  A fresh fruit salad and any green veg and warm bread. Yum!

Need more ideas?   :coolgleamA:

Any night you grill, have the fixings for roasted marshmallows with or without Hershey bars and graham crackers.

• Like 1

That's great you can get fresh food easily.

I would do your fish in parchment repeatedly, so as to take advantage of fresh fish.

If your family likes shellfish, grilled Littleneck clams. Wash the clams, make sure they are closed. Put on grill on one of those metal dishes with holes, grill basket might be what they are called. Grill until clams open, let cook for a minute or so more and they are done. Put in a deep dish with herb butter.

Mussels cooked with white wine and herbs. I don't know what coast you are on, or if you get clams and muscles.

Cherry tomatoes. Sauté at moderate heat in olive oil until they get soft. Sprinkle with Kosher salt a bit of sugar. Add garlic and thyme (or basil) halfway through. Off heat, add a dash of balsamic vinegar.

Many greens, like radicchio or bok choy can be grilled. Cut in half or in quarters, brush with oil and grill. Ditto for Japanese eggplant or summer squash.

Pork tenderloin is easy to grill or cook in kitchen. Use s dry rub like garlic salt and dried herbs, wrap in foil and let sit for several hours or all day. Unwrap from foil and grill with lid on grill for about 20 minutes.

I think this recipe is more or less what I do in the kitchen.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/pork-tenderloin-with-seasoned-rub-recipe-1917382.amp

I have been on camping trips and eaten pork tenderloin that has been grilled by fellow campers. Delicious! Note that tenderlions can be small or large, cooking times vary, obviously.

My favorite website for modern, flavorful, eady recipes is kitchn.com. I use it a lot and have yet to find a recipe that does not work.

http://www.thekitchn.com

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2