Menu

S/o short hair

ktgrok

The first haircut would look so cute on you.  My hair is a lot longer than I am used to and I find myself always putting it up and I have been thinking about going back to a shorter look because it looks so much more put together.  I think it is so smart to go and talk to a stylist and they will tell you what your hair will do and what work it will take.  My hair has to be layered and I always mentioned that to my stylist. 

My hair is naturally wavy, but I can actually pretty curly hair by doing Ouidad's Rake and Shake technique. It might be an nice option for you.  Here is a video to show you the basic approach.  It is pretty quick once you get used to it and you can use any products you want.  

I like it! You have nice curl. Go with it.

Thanks. I actually got rained on right before I took that photo, it's much curlier looking in person. Which shocks me. I'm not exactly sure WHEN my hair got curly, lol. She did give me some tips on styling it, product, etc. I'll leave it curly most days, and it looks cute enough I think that I won't be tempted to just put it in a ponytail. And then I can blow it out for special occasions. 

• Like 1

I think it looks fabulous. I have very curly hair. One trick I do to tame those flyaway or strands that do not play nice with others is to put a pea sized amount of curl defining cream in my wet hands, spread it on the palms of my hands and wipe it over the outer surface of my har. It settles any frizz that popped up. (Coconut oil or conditioner will do in a pinch.) If I have suffered the ignominy of wind, I refresh it with wet hands.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I have no idea how to wear my hair in any style except a pony tail. I've tried braiding it but it's sloppy and looks awful. I've tried buns but the hair falls out immediately. It's nothing like I see in some of the pictures posted. I'd need a stylist to do that sort of thing. I'm amazed when I hear someone just throws it in a bun and calls it a day.

I'm 49. My mom is old school and thinks I need to get it cut short into a mature cut. She says pony tails are for young girls.

My DD just taught me how to make a messy bun that holds with no bobby pins, just two hair elastics. Seriously, practice it a couple of times, it is awesome when it is hot/humid and when I'm working out, gardening, or cleaning. Do it is way:

Put two hair elastics on your wrist. Brush your hair out and sweep into a high ponytail. (Bend over if it helps you make it high on the crown.) Put in the first of the two hair ties. Now you have a normal, high ponytail. Now, start twisting the tail around itself and also start coiling it around the base of your high pony, into the standard bun shape. As you hold that hair into a bun, pull the second hair elastic off your wrist, pull it over and around the bun, twist the hair tie as you do when you make your normal ponytail, then put that loop back across the bun the other way. It looks reasonably cute enough to be seen in public and it totally STAYS in the bun. I did not think this was possible before.

FWIW, I have decided that nobody is going to tell me to cut my hair because I'm too old. Well, I mean, I guess they can tell me all they want, but I'm ignoring them. I am not cutting my hair any shorter than shoulder length with long layers for the rest of my life unless *I* want to and it suits my own determined needs (or obviously if I have a medical condition and can't help it). I do wear my hair up while I'm busy around the house, but that doesn't induce me to think it should be short. I have been down that road and short hair, on me, is NOT easier in ANY respect. My hair is not really easy in the every-day sense, no matter how long or short it is, but at least if it is long I have two options: put it back, which is easy, or go to the effort of wearing it down, which is pretty.

P.S. The only liability of the two-hairtie bun is that it crumples and rumples my hair beyond recognition, so if I need to wear it pretty later in the day, I have to build in time to flat iron it or otherwise get it back in order again.

• Like 2

My mom had some great stuff in her medicine cabinet the last time I visited her called Mud; I tried googling it but couldn't find the right one. anyway, it was great for just getting the fizzies to stop fizzing, if you want to do a sleek ponytail.

Yes, any kind of styling wax or molding mudd will do this.

Thanks all. No, no effort at all for the photo. Well, she did dry/curl the front on each side, but that was before the rain which undid that, lol. So for that photo, no. Just some product. I'm going to play with what product works best (she did mousse and serum mixed together). Boosting the curl is definitely easier on a daily basis than trying to eliminate the curl, and looks better than sort of curly sort of not. 

Edited to add: I wore it down much of yesterday, but can put it in a high ponytail if I need to. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

Used water and some products on my hands to refresh it this morning. Then went to the dog park. This is after being out in the heat and humidity.926ddf65b14723a04d8837f5fbc84cdc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say wear it like that to the writer's conference. It looks great!