Menu

math on the level

pjssully

Those who have been using math on the level what has been your experience? ARe your children learning enough,is the record keeping hard to do, is there enough examples to use for teaching concepts, and mostof all, do you think it is worth the money? Ihave tried SO MANY curriculums for one of my children (the other three kids have been fine) that i hate to spend more money BUT......i have determined that i will need to come up with something of my own that accommodates her learning style and special needs.

thanks for any feedback

pam

I've been doing some serious investigations. The author is very helpful, so I would recommend joining up to her yahoo group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mathonthelevel/

That way you can read about everyone else's experiences and post your concerns. They do have a FAQ page in the files section too.

Going by what I have read on there and other reviews:

~The kids are learning enough.

~The planning is tricky to get the hang of, but everyone who has pushed through that absolutely loves the program. One woman got rid of her copy because the planning seemed overwhelming, but she's come back and has pretty much decided to buy it and try again.

~There are plenty of examples for teaching, in a variety of different ways, which is useful for different styles of learner, and for checking they know the concept, not just the formula.

~There are people on there using the program with older kids to fill the gaps, and people using it with their special needs kids.

~Yeah it's pricey. A good reason to hang on their yahoo group before you take the plunge :)

I'm intending to use it because it's both comprehensive and flexible; plus she includes info on how to tell if your kiddie is developmentally ready for a concept. If they aren't, they can pursue another line of maths instead of being stuck in one spot banging their head (and yours) against a brick wall. I also like the "5 a day" reviews instead of having the kids do pages of review problems, and that I can use these to refresh their memory when they need it, rather than waiting for that chapter of the book next year.

I posted a question about this a month or so back:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56985&highlight=math+level+rosie

:)

Rosie

Thank you Rosie for posting this! I didn't realize we had board members using it. Pam, I learned a lot from the Files section of the yahoo group, which are just posts by those who are using the program organized by topic.

Although the price at first is high, it's very economical in the long run if you use the program from K-8 or K through pre-algebra if you compare the costs of math curricula.

We have been using MotL for 3 months and love it. It's a guide and the 5-a-day review system is brilliant. My son is doing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade level work and it is all being remembered. He enjoys doing hands-on math learning and I have been amazed at how quickly he's memorizing everything without any worksheets.

I think I liked the idea of MOTL particularly because I wanted something that was somewhere between spiral and mastery. I just couldn't imagine what that would look like, so I couldn't create it myself.

So, are you going to publish your research, Jessica? ;) We'll all be looking to you instead of Cathy Duffy!

Rosie

Of course, I think I've done a review on everything we use...but I got the green light from the financial advisor for MotL! He's happy about the 60 day return policy. I only had to ask once, I thought I would have to explain in detail and show samples, etc. I said K-7 or 8th math, real life applications, teacher directs the student's studies not a standard scope and sequence, child learns at their pace, long-term review and he said, "how much?"

Today we did MotL math with 6 children and it took a total of 40 minutes - less than Singapore took with 2! Plus, everyone had fun! (One 2nd grader and one Ker are my usual HSers, one 4th is mine in PS, and three are a friend's who is seeing if she wants to switch to homeschooling.)

This is what happened the first 20 min: The K6 two did dice rolling. First with a 10-sided die each earning chip counters for whomever got the highest number, then we used 12-sided dice. Then we switched back to 10-sided dice and added a dotted 6-sided dice and they started by reading the numbers on their 10-sided die and counting up with the dots on the other. We ended with counting out chips and it was a tie! The 2 second graders did a dry erase 100 problem drill sheet each and one did a 5-a-day. The two 4th graders did fake money practice buying and making change. Doing money addition and subtraction on white boards.

The second 20 minutes were spent with the 2nd and 4th graders doing time. The younger ones read the Judy clocks and the older ones read then figured out a future time (ie What time will it be 4 hours from this time?) and wrote it on the white boards.

Of course, I think I've done a review on everything we use...but I got the green light from the financial advisor for MotL! He's happy about the 60 day return policy. I only had to ask once, I thought I would have to explain in detail and show samples, etc. I said K-7 or 8th math, real life applications, teacher directs the student's studies not a standard scope and sequence, child learns at their pace, long-term review and he said, "how much?"

That's great news Jessica! I chuckled at the showing samples etc - I've had to do that!

Today we did MotL math with 6 children and it took a total of 40 minutes - less than Singapore took with 2! Plus, everyone had fun! (One 2nd grader and one Ker are my usual HSers, one 4th is mine in PS, and three are a friend's who is seeing if she wants to switch to homeschooling.)

This is what happened the first 20 min: The K6 two did dice rolling. First with a 10-sided die each earning chip counters for whomever got the highest number, then we used 12-sided dice. Then we switched back to 10-sided dice and added a dotted 6-sided dice and they started by reading the numbers on their 10-sided die and counting up with the dots on the other. We ended with counting out chips and it was a tie! The 2 second graders did a dry erase 100 problem drill sheet each and one did a 5-a-day. The two 4th graders did fake money practice buying and making change. Doing money addition and subtraction on white boards.

The second 20 minutes were spent with the 2nd and 4th graders doing time. The younger ones read the Judy clocks and the older ones read then figured out a future time (ie What time will it be 4 hours from this time?) and wrote it on the white boards.

That does sound fun. I need something different for my ds7. I have been waffling between this and RS Math for a long time. (Too long, he really does not like math. :( ). I may just look at MotL again after your post.