Book a Week 2017 - BW27: Scifi July

Robin M

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

Tutt and Mr. Tutt by Arthur Train

"America’s wisest and kindliest lawyer tackles a series of impossible cases—and wins

Ephraim Tutt, Esq., never met a hard luck story he didn’t like. The rare lawyer happy to forego his fee, Tutt specializes in defending the downtrodden against the powerful and the corrupt. In Manhattan and his hometown of Pottsville, New York, he argues cases involving murder, forgery, and theft, always finding some arcane legal point to save the day—much to the chagrin of the prosecution. In this delightful collection, Tutt brings his sharp mind and genial wit to bear on the cases of the “Mock Hen and Mock Turtle,†the “Hepplewhite Tramp,†the “Lallapaloosa Limited,†and many others.

Based on author Arthur Train’s experiences working in the offices of the New York District Attorney, Tutt and Mr. Tutt is a must-read for fans of legal mysteries."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Just completed You Will Know Me and All Over But The Shouting. Now I am reading The Final Girls, then The Child, and then American Fire. Oh, I also read The Weird Sisters and The Charm Bracelet.

Moving over to our current thread so everyone will see it. :)

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 7

How I loved Middlemarch! My daughters (who have not yet read it) and I are hoping to make that next summer's project.

And Moby Dick... That's a book that gets better and better with rereading.

Middlemarch is another book I keep meaning to reread. I have several I want to reread and have been thinking of making 2018 The Year of the Reread. Of course not all of my reading would be books I've already read, but I'm thinking of one reread a month until I get through all of them.

How nerdy is it to be planning what to read next year when next year is still half a year away? :D

There was some buzz here about maybe group-reading Middlemarch next summer?  Melissa, I think it's a grand plan to co-read it with your daughters...just stepping my toes into co-reading with dd13!  And of course I agree with Kareni! Kathy, you're our kind of nerd.  :)

ROSE!  I listened to On the Media yesterday and they had a whole series of novels about climate change.  There were a couple new-to-me books listed...considering your dystopian fiction class, you might find some gems in there.  They quote readily the recent Jill Lepore article in the New Yorker about dystopian fiction

• Like 8

There was some buzz here about maybe group-reading Middlemarch next summer?  Melissa, I think it's a grand plan to co-read it with your daughters...just stepping my toes into co-reading with dd13!  And of course I agree with Kareni! Kathy, you're our kind of nerd.  :)

ROSE!  I listened to On the Media yesterday and they had a whole series of novels about climate change.  There were a couple new-to-me books listed...considering your dystopian fiction class, you might find some gems in there.  They quote readily the recent Jill Lepore article in the New Yorker about dystopian fiction

One of the writers in the OTM program is Robert McFarlane, a non-fiction writer (The Old Ways, The Wild Places) who offers via Twitter a Word of the Day.  Today we have "words":  tommy noddy, Farne Islands nickname for the puffin. I adore his Twitter feed.

• Like 5

There was some buzz here about maybe group-reading Middlemarch next summer? Melissa, I think it's a grand plan to co-read it with your daughters...just stepping my toes into co-reading with dd13! And of course I agree with Kareni! Kathy, you're our kind of nerd. :)

ROSE! I listened to On the Media yesterday and they had a whole series of novels about climate change. There were a couple new-to-me books listed...considering your dystopian fiction class, you might find some gems in there. They quote readily the recent Jill Lepore article in the New Yorker about dystopian fiction.

Count me in for a group (re) reading of Middlemarch :)

I found a recent dutch translation last year and really enjoyed the book

• Like 7

This is a great article, thanks for linking it. Its conclusion is essentially the message of the movie Tomorrowland, which I found to be a swift punch in the gut, but didn't go over too well with the general public. This would be an interesting thesis to attempt to refute; maybe it will be the basis of an essay question in our class.:

"Dystopia used to be a fiction of resistance; it’s become a fiction of submission, the fiction of an untrusting, lonely, and sullen twenty-first century, the fiction of fake news and infowars, the fiction of helplessness and hopelessness. It cannot imagine a better future, and it doesn’t ask anyone to bother to make one. It nurses grievances and indulges resentments; it doesn’t call for courage; it finds that cowardice suffices. Its only admonition is: Despair more. It appeals to both the left and the right, because, in the end, it requires so little by way of literary, political, or moral imagination, asking only that you enjoy the company of people whose fear of the future aligns comfortably with your own. Left or right, the radical pessimism of an unremitting dystopianism has itself contributed to the unravelling of the liberal state and the weakening of a commitment to political pluralism. “This isn’t a story about war,†El Akkad writes in “American War.†“It’s about ruin.†A story about ruin can be beautiful. Wreckage is romantic. But a politics of ruin is doomed. "

• Like 6