Menu

Questions for those who do Tai Chi

Laurie4b

So I took my first Tai Chi class today.  I usually enjoy vigorous exercise, so I guess it was a good balance for me, but I was looking at the clock the whole time.  :001_rolleyes:  We did something called a Logan(?) . There were many steps to that. Then we did I think the first 3 movements of Tai Chi after that. (And I'm thinking, "I thought it was all Tai Chi!) 

Questions: 

My gym offers it at a time I can only attend in the summer. I might be able to make 8-12 more classes. 

Obviously, at this point, I am only able to try to copy moves. I wonder if I will be able to get much out of it, since I will need to stop about the time I am getting familiar with the moves. What do you think? 

Someone said after class, "This is such a good workout!" I was feeling nothing in terms of "workout." There were some moves that challenged my balance but none that challenged stamina or strength. Maybe it's because I am not fully engaging muscles or something because I'm just trying to get the moves down? 

I do think it's a good mental workout trying to copy the moves. I think I'm a very long way from a meditative workout since I don't know the moves. 

Is there a place on Youtube or elsewhere where I can see and practice individual moves?  Some I recall were dragon hands, something about  a green dragon, crane hands, peacock(?) white goose flying (?) 

So bottom line:How worth it  would it be to continue for the number of classes I can take? 

I'm not an expert by any means but I did a class at the Y for about a year, and I do youtube videos all the time.  So, the answer to that question is Yes, there are TONS of videos on youtube.   You can search on Tai Chi and QiGong.   I like to do them to my own music - usually Pink Floyd.  :closedeyes:

I never heard of the Logan.

I think it's worthwhile doing even for a little while so you can learn about more of the movements.  It would make it easier to do on your own at home after that.

I find it a mild workout but do it more because I find it relaxing.

• Like 1

I like the Taijizen Academy videos. They have some on YouTube. I don't find it a workout either. We would generally do some sprints then cool down with tai chi. We started it mainly because my children are NOT naturally graceful! We wanted them to learn some balance/movement and be aware of their bodies.

• Like 1

I'd like to recommend Classicalstretch.com, and essentrics.com. It's the same program, but essentrics is run by the daughter of the founder. You can see videos on their websites as well as on YouTube. They use some tai chi-like movements along with others. It is a secular stretching program that I do every day.

It's on DVD, and it's also streamed online.

Edited by Fifiruth

I loved Tai Chi, but I was spoiled by a really good instructor.  He left the gym and I have tried several other instructors, but none were as good. :(

If you are really enjoying your class, maybe you can request additional classes to be added to the gym's schedule.

The workout comes as you become more familiar with the movements and are able to lower your body to engage your core and upper legs more.  And, yes, it is excellent for balance.

• Like 1

I did it with my dh for about a year. I liked it at first, but ended up kind of irritated and restless. I felt so much better after yoga, and yoga seemed to meet similar needs only better. My husband still does it, but I don't anymore. If I'm going to spend the time doing something active-ish, I'd rather do something I walk away from feeling good rather than bored and mildly irritated.

• Like 1

I agree with others... if it's a workout you're looking for then t'ai ch'i won't do it unless you're seriously out of shape or elderly. There is a lot of muscle control stuff - like low impact exercise if you do it right. But if you're in reasonable shape, it's more about the mind body thing than a "workout."

• Like 1

I agree with others... if it's a workout you're looking for then t'ai ch'i won't do it unless you're seriously out of shape or elderly. There is a lot of muscle control stuff - like low impact exercise if you do it right. But if you're in reasonable shape, it's more about the mind body thing than a "workout."

Or sick.  I started Tai Chi after I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis.  

It is a very different kind of exercise.

Edited by Junie

I think moving your body very slowly as you lift, bend and set down your legs engages muscles and helps you work on balance. So if you felt like you weren't engaging any muscles, maybe set your legs down slower? I don't know, but my dad does the exercises every morning and used to take a class. The most interesting part of the class (I tagged along once) was knocking out a flame on a candle from a distance with chi. I think the instructor could do it from a great distance IIRC.

I recently took my first Tai Chi class, too. And I too, was checking my watch. It definitely did not feel like exercise, but I figured that that was because I really had no idea how to do it right. But I'm not going back. Yoga is meditative enough for me, and I get that just-right sore feeling :)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who was baffled by Tai Chi!

Edited by Penguin

I'm in pretty good shape and an hour class is a great workout for me. It isn't a cardio workout but with a low stance and proper speed with your steps and hand movements it really gets your muscles engaged. It has been one of the best things for toning my legs.