Menu

s/o is this comment appropriate?

SKL

Considering that many of my girlfriends are swooning over Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and French President Emmanuel Macron on Facebook, I won't assume sexism over that comment. Wrong thing to say definitely but to assume the person is sexist just on that comment would be a leap.

I have seen so many TV ads on men balding and hair weaving for men as well as cosmetic surgery for men that ads to make people look younger are targeted at not only ladies. When I was in college, David Beckham was already promoting cosmetics and grooming for guys.

• Like 1

Considering that many of my girlfriends are swooning over Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and French President Emmanuel Macron on Facebook, I won't assume sexism over that comment. Wrong thing to say definitely but to assume the person is sexist just on that comment would be a leap.

I have seen so many TV ads on men balding and hair weaving for men as well as cosmetic surgery for men that ads to make people look younger are targeted at not only ladies. When I was in college, David Beckham was already promoting cosmetics and grooming for guys.

I agree with this but men cosmetics, tutorials and such are just not as ubiquitous as they are for women IMO. I still feel we are so focused on female appearance and in most cases it is perpetuated by women. Not saying we can't focus on our appearance and want to look pretty but sending mixed messages culturally is a challenge to rehabilitating gender thinking. The Kardashians and their influence is one example of certain messages being confusing for young men and women alike.

Change comes so slowly. Men have for a long time complimented women's looks to connect, be nice, or affirming. It just comes out of their mouths. My advice to the men in my life is not to comment in any way on a woman's looks, age etc. Don't try and figure out if it's okay, just don't do it.

Uh. I'd rather live in a world where compliments are welcome. Don't wonder if it's okay to tell that person they look nice today, or you like their shirt...Just do it!

• Like 1

and all the "little blue pill" ads . . .

mr universe - and the workouts aimed at me to stay in shape, get ripped etc.  it's definitely out there for guys too.

I agree with this but men cosmetics, tutorials and such are just not as ubiquitous as they are for women IMO. I still feel we are so focused on female appearance and in most cases it is perpetuated by women. Not saying we can't focus on our appearance and want to look pretty but sending mixed messages culturally is a challenge to rehabilitating gender thinking. The Kardashians and their influence is one example of certain messages being confusing for young men and women alike.

and just over 100 years ago - only "ladies of a certain" occupation wore make-up.  and make--up was hidden away in stores and you had to ask for it.

wwi sort of blew that away.

I think the comment was meant to be a compliment about her looks.  I think it would an appropriate thing to say at a cocktail party. However, it's rare to see men complimented for their looks when they're in professional role.  The focus is on their intelligence, skills and expertise.  In my opinion, that's where the focus should be.  So, I vote for "inappropriate".  

To give a sense of the difference between how we talk about men who are public figures, and women, I'd like to offer this article:

https://qz.com/743526/hillary-clintons-husband-wore-a-fetching-pantsuit-to-honor-her-nomination-for-us-president/

Note: since the only opinion it offers is about Bill Clinton's suit, and his hair, I'd argue that is not a political post. 

I think the comment was meant to be a compliment about her looks.  I think it would an appropriate thing to say at a cocktail party. However, it's rare to see men complimented for their looks when they're in professional role.  The focus is on their intelligence, skills and expertise.  In my opinion, that's where the focus should be.  So, I vote for "inappropriate".  

I agree. I don't think the comment is inappropriate in any setting, but in the situation described in the OP, it most certainly is. In some cases it might even be inappropriate at a cocktail party but at least in that setting, the recipient is able to respond in a way she (or he) sees fit. In an on camera interview there's not much you can say.

FTR I never said the journalist was "sexist."  I do think he made a mistake, and one a highly visible journalist should be trained not to make.

I'm hoping that his colleagues made it a discussion point off camera so it won't happen again.

• Like 1

FTR I never said the journalist was "sexist."  I do think he made a mistake, and one a highly visible journalist should be trained not to make.

I'm hoping that his colleagues made it a discussion point off camera so it won't happen again.

Agreed.

Journalism is an entirely different context than a cocktail party. A journalist should not tie looks to ability, experience, or expertise.

It would be the same level of inappropriateness as if I were at the school mentoring a robotics team and a faculty member walked up and said, "You look too young", the implication being that I'm not experienced enough or old enough to be working with the kids. The local band director is fresh out of college so barely 4 years older than the seniors he works with, and I would not dream of undermining his authority or ability by saying something like, "You don't look old enough to be a high school band director." I know that the first time I saw him, I seriously thought "HOLY CATS! THEY HAVE  A MERE BABE WORKING WITH THESE KIDS!" But, I also knew that my surprise that I've finely hit middle age and notice that some of these college grads look ridiculously young to me does not get to escape my mouth. The filter says, "UH UH! DON'T". It is my problem not his.

So the journalist's filter didn't go off, and hopefully one of his colleagues told him to get the filter working again.