Menu

Knife advice needed (survival not kitchen)

Tap

Anyone with a knife afficianado around? 

I would like to buy a basic survival knife and a multitool (separate items) for some hiking bags I am putting together.  Any suggestions?  I would like for them to be under $20 a piece if possible.

These are for temporary/emergency use, not someone who will be living off the land. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I''m not a Knife expert. Far from that.  I wonder if you are talking about a "Swiss Army" knife or something like that?  I have a Knife that was given to me, a year or 2 ago, by a friend who is in the Colombian Army. It was made by Smith & Wesson.  I'd owned guns made by S&W, but I didn't know they made knives, until I received this one. I have it here. On the box it says "Rescue Knife" and then on the side "Super Knife Best Quality Stainless Steel Blade" and on the end flap it says "AT-6".    I have no idea of what one of those costs.  In addition to whatever else this knife can do, it could be used as a weapon.  

Edited by Lanny

Dd has a basic Mtech folding tactical knife.  Dh has a model with a glass breaker and seat belt cutter.  They both love them.

The Glass Breaker is something one should have at all times. When we had Fox News Channel, there was an "Extra" one of the Meteorologists had done about what to do if your car goes into water. The guy that was showing her how this works was an ex Navy Seal. I think he'd written a book about Survival.  So, after the test car went into the water (and began to sink) he showed her about escaping from the vehicle. Get the Seat Belt Off.  Break a Side window, in the center, with your Glass Breaker (or a Cell phone) and then knock the rest of the glass out. This assumes that the Windows were  up when the car went into the water. Then, get out of the car and then get away from the car, ASAP.  

• Like 1

Anyone with a knife afficianado around?

I would like to buy a basic survival knife and a multitool (separate items) for some hiking bags I am putting together. Any suggestions? I would like for them to be under $20 a piece if possible.

These are for temporary/emergency use, not someone who will be living off the land.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by survival -- some blogs presume that you want to kill and skin a small animal for food, or defend yourself against violent people. I can't help you with that, but I can tell you what we use for backpacking.

Knife. My preferred knife is the single bladed Victorinox florist knife. I got mine on Amazon, even though the link is different. I like it because the blade is a decent size (about 2 1/2 inches) and the handle is flat, not shiny, but matte, and easy to grip. Overall length is 4 inches. We also have some Victorinox-Swiss army knives from local Boy Scout store. Two blades, handle is slightly convex and shiny, not as easy to grip as the floral knife. you should be able to get either knife for under $20. Ds has larger knives, because he is, well, a boy. But still in the safe zone, not huge.

Personally, I dislike knives with a million blades, corkscrews, saws, etc. I like a lightweight, compact knife, because I carry it it a pocket.

http://www.wholesalefloral.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SWISSARMYKNIFE&gclid=CLeXse3yldQCFQWBswod9OwM_A

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_23?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=victorinox+floral+knife&sprefix=Victorinox+floral+knife%2Caps%2C144&crid=2DQJZRQIH2N1V

Multitool. We just added these to our emergency bags, primarily because I wanted pliers to tighten up a loose zipper, that kind of thing. Leatherman has some small multitools, some with scissors, some with pliers-wire cutters. We chose the latter. I have the Leatherman PS 4, very light. Dd got the Leatherman Squirt, because it comes in red (I'm not kidding). Each of these is under 2 oz (the first is a bit lighter) and costs less than $30 (the first is a bit cheaper).

https://www.campmor.com/SearchDisplay?searchTermScope=&searchType=0&filterTerm=&orderBy=3&maxPrice=&langId=-1&beginIndex=0&cg1=200368610&sType=SimpleSearch&cg2=&facetFilter=&metaData=&pageSize=28&manufacturer=&resultCatEntryType=&catalogId=40000000228&searchTerm=*&minPrice=&categoryId=200368656&storeId=226

The other tools we have in our emergency kit are folding scissors -- small enough to pack, but not so small that they are useless. And a cheap, about $2, thing the size of a ballpoint pen that has two small sizes of Philips screwdrivers and two small slotted screwdrivers. I may keep the screwdriver in a pocket for hiking poles that need tightening.

https://www.campmor.com/c/coghlan--39%3Bs-folding-scissors-22143

Found the screwdriver

https://www.widgetsupply.com/product/BCY29.html?gclid=CJzylJ75ldQCFduFswod8AEITQ

ETA

I love this tiny, wind up, no batteries https://www.campmor.com/c/coghlan-dynamo-flashlight

Don't get me started on emergency kits, lol! I love making them as light, compact, and useful as possible. My stuff is for backpacking, but I love the glass breaker suggestion for car trave.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I'm not quite sure what you mean by survival -- some blogs presume that you want to kill and skin a small animal for food, or defend yourself against violent people. I can't help you with that, but I can tell you what we use for backpacking.

Knife. My preferred knife is the single bladed Victorinox florist knife. I got mine on Amazon, even though the link is different. I like it because the blade is a decent size (about 2 1/2 inches) and the handle is flat, not shiny, but matte, and easy to grip. Overall length is 4 inches. We also have some Victorinox-Swiss army knives from local Boy Scout store. Two blades, handle is slightly convex and shiny, not as easy to grip as the floral knife. you should be able to get either knife for under $20. Ds has larger knives, because he is, well, a boy. But still in the safe zone, not huge.

Personally, I dislike knives with a million blades, corkscrews, saws, etc. I like a lightweight, compact knife, because I carry it it a pocket.

http://www.wholesalefloral.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SWISSARMYKNIFE&gclid=CLeXse3yldQCFQWBswod9OwM_A

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_23?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=victorinox+floral+knife&sprefix=Victorinox+floral+knife%2Caps%2C144&crid=2DQJZRQIH2N1V

Multitool. We just added these to our emergency bags, primarily because I wanted pliers to tighten up a loose zipper, that kind of thing. Leatherman has some small multitools, some with scissors, some with pliers-wire cutters. We chose the latter. I have the Leatherman PS 4, very light. Dd got the Leatherman Squirt, because it comes in red (I'm not kidding). Each of these is under 2 oz (the first is a bit lighter) and costs less than $30 (the first is a bit cheaper).

https://www.campmor.com/SearchDisplay?searchTermScope=&searchType=0&filterTerm=&orderBy=3&maxPrice=&langId=-1&beginIndex=0&cg1=200368610&sType=SimpleSearch&cg2=&facetFilter=&metaData=&pageSize=28&manufacturer=&resultCatEntryType=&catalogId=40000000228&searchTerm=*&minPrice=&categoryId=200368656&storeId=226

The other tools we have in our emergency kit are folding scissors -- small enough to pack, but not so small that they are useless. And a cheap, about $2, thing the size of a ballpoint pen that has two small sizes of Philips screwdrivers and two small slotted screwdrivers. I may keep the screwdriver in a pocket for hiking poles that need tightening.

https://www.campmor.com/c/coghlan--39%3Bs-folding-scissors-22143

Found the screwdriver

https://www.widgetsupply.com/product/BCY29.html?gclid=CJzylJ75ldQCFduFswod8AEITQ

Those are great suggestions.  Yes, I mean a practical knife not necessarily a hunting knife.  Just something that can be really be used on the trail if needed, not just feel nice in the pocket. LOL

I am thinking something with a good grip, folding (or sheath), possible hilt so the person doesn't cut themselves LOL,  a few inch blade.   Most likely, a good, basic,  folding pocket knife that is intended to be used, not decorative.

I had bought my daughter a quality brand multi-tool for Christmas, but the lock didn't function correctly so I sent it back. I bought it at Costco, but when I returned it they were sold out.  I need to buy another but thought I would ask for recommendations first.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Those are great suggestions. Yes, I mean a practical knife not necessarily a hunting knife. Just something that can be really be used on the trail if needed, not just feel nice in the pocket. LOL

I am thinking something with a good grip, folding (or sheath), possible hilt so the person doesn't cut themselves LOL, a few inch blade. Most likely, a good, basic, folding pocket knife that is intended to be used, not decorative.

The folding knife will be easier to carry around than a sheath knife, lol.

Also, states vary in what kind of knives you are allowed to carry. I remember when ds went to scout camp in NY state, we were reminded that folding knives that could be flicked open could be illegal. The law, iirc, allowed you to have one if it was for an accepted purpose. But law enforcement determines that, not you. I seriously thought of buying ds a fishing license to carry with the knife.

I am not familiar with all the rules, just suggesting that you ask about your area.

ETA

Some stores have sample multitools so that you can hold them to see if they fit your needs. I prefer that to having a rack of packaged tools, even if they are returnable.

Edited by Alessandra

The folding knife will be easier to carry around than a sheath knife, lol.

Also, states vary in what kind of knives you are allowed to carry. I remember when ds went to scout camp in NY state, we were reminded that folding knives that could be flicked open could be illegal. The law, iirc, allowed you to have one if it was for an accepted purpose. But law enforcement determines that, not you. I seriously thought of buying ds a fishing license to carry with the knife.

I am not familiar with all the rules, just suggesting that you ask about your area.

ETA

Some stores have sample multitools so that you can hold them to see if they fit your needs. I prefer that to having a rack of packaged tools, even if they are returnable.

Thanks for the reminder, but it will be fine here.  We are in the PNW and these items are for day hiking backpacks. It is common, if not expected, to have some kind of bladed-tool when hiking. 

I am making day hike backpack kits for dd and some of her friends for graduation.  Her and the girls are getting multi-tools (that have small knives on them), and the one guy, her boyfriend, is getting a knife. That way he will have a sturdy knife, she will have the tool.   If I could afford both for all of them, I would, but at least one will be a start!

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

Thanks for the reminder, but it will be fine here. We are in the PNW and these items are for day hiking backpacks. It is common, if not expected, to have some kind of bladed-tool when hiking.

I am making day hike backpack kits for dd and some of her friends for graduation. Her and the girls are getting multi-tools (that have small knives on them), and the one guy, her boyfriend, is getting a knife. That way he will have a sturdy knife, she will have the tool. If I could afford both for all of them, I would, but at least one will be a start!

What a thoughtful gift!

Do you have leatherman over there? They are not cheap but their service is totally amazing. They say life time warranty and they really are. DH has broken blades on his a couple of times and they have fixed them or just replaced it each time no worries. Going on for 15 years now!

However they might be a bit overkill For what you want.

• Like 1

Do you have leatherman over there? They are not cheap but their service is totally amazing. They say life time warranty and they really are. DH has broken blades on his a couple of times and they have fixed them or just replaced it each time no worries. Going on for 15 years now!

However they might be a bit overkill For what you want.

We do!  They are just a bit out of my price range for this gift.

Ds22 got a Leatherman set around the same age.  :0)

I may upgrade dds to a Leatherman and pick up something else for the other girls. 

Thanks for all your help!!!  This is what I have decided on:

For the girls Gerber Suspension Multi-plier  I chose this one because it has the plier, philiips and reg head screw drivers.  DD likes to snow shoe and do other activities, so the tool aspect will be definitely used.  (Snow shoes, poles etc)

For the boyfriend Leatherman - Crater C33X Folding Knife, Stainless Steel       

Travel guides

Hiking Waterfalls in Oregon: A Guide to the State's Best Waterfall Hikes

Best Outdoor Adventures Near Portland, Oregon: A Guide to the City's Greatest Hiking, Paddling, and Cycling (A Falcon Guide)

100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon & Southwest Washington  2017-2018 4th ed

Backpack Gowiss Backpack - Rated 20L / 33L- Most Durable Packable Convenient Lightweight Travel Hiking Backpack Daypack - Waterproof,Ultralight and Handy Foldable Nothing really special, except that I bought all bright colors so they will stand out more if they are lost and need to be found.  I highly doubt they are actually waterproof for under $10 LOL (what I paid on sale).

Wind Storm brand Storm whistle- I picked this one since it requires less air to create noise and is still very loud--(dd18 has asthma, so that may be the emergency she needs help for)

Yosh waterproof pouch for phone and a second one for key, meds, money etc

Dd18 will always find water if it is near by!

Edited by Tap