Menu

2nd grade science

ktgrok

Looking for ideas. I think we'd prefer something that has multiple topics rather than just Biology, or just Chemistry, etc. We are Christian but old earth. Experiments/demonstrations are nice, but I don't want to be doing complex ones all the time....I've got a total of 4 kids, one of them is a newborn, and then an active puppy on top of that, lol. Simple, open and go, etc. 

So far I've got Behold and See from CHC on my list, but that's about it, lol. 

Oh..and we watch a nature or science documentary almost every night before bed, and have a membership to our local science museum and bird of prey center and zoo, so she gets lots of other science stuff. And we follow our interests a lot. I just want something to cover the basics, make sure she gets the basic vocabulary, etc. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

Although I have used science curricula at that age, the same vocab. and concepts can be covered just by going through the Let's Read and Find Out Science and Rookie Read About Science books, which for us is simpler and more enjoyable (not to mention free from our library). I don't know if that would be more complicated for you than an actual curriculum, but it was something I could do while nursing and cuddling, and my 7 and 4 year olds both like the Let's Read and Find Out science books to request them multiple times. And it would be more than enough with everything you already manage to do!

• Like 2

You could always add in a podcast or two during a meal .... "Brains On"! is our favorite by far.  "But Why" is another good one.  Occasionally we will listen to "Tumble Science".

If you wanted something more scheduled than library books, Mysteryscience.com would be my suggestion.  My prep time is generally less than 10 minutes the night before (for that age group).   They are running a sale now until the end of June.

• Like 1

I just want to echo what others have suggested. Library books, mystery science, and podcasts have been the bulk of our science for years now. My oldest is just finishing third grade. Also to add, we do some informal nature study and occasional science kits as well.

Perhaps the Bill Nye streaming subscription on HSBC? It's $40 for a year and has teaching guides and activity pages.

My little guy who will be 7 later this summer is just going to have "science" on his daily checklist. He is insatiably curious about how the world works and we have plenty of books and movies at his disposal. Left to his own devices he'll cover far more than an elementary program could. I'm considering the Bill Nye thing too.

This year I kept a living nature book on his shelf to read to him when he wasn't trying to learn everything he could about magnets, or volcanoes, or some other rabbit trail. This worked fabulously for both of us.

Edited by SilverMoon

Although I have used science curricula at that age, the same vocab. and concepts can be covered just by going through the Let's Read and Find Out Science and Rookie Read About Science books, which for us is simpler and more enjoyable (not to mention free from our library). I don't know if that would be more complicated for you than an actual curriculum, but it was something I could do while nursing and cuddling, and my 7 and 4 year olds both like the Let's Read and Find Out science books to request them multiple times. And it would be more than enough with everything you already manage to do!

I adore these books too.

ETA

My kids learned -- and retained-- a lot from watching Magic Schoolbus videos over and over.

I just pulled The Usborne Big Book of Science Experiments off my bookshelf. Very simple and quick activities.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

We did do the WTM sequence, so 2nd grade was officially Earth and Space science. But we did it using all of the above resources: Usborne 1st encyclopedias of (space, earth,) Let's Read and Find Out Series on the topics, Magic Schoolbus videos and books, activities that we came across in the books, notebooking about the books, and my favorite find that year was the Arty Facts and Science series. They have art projects around science topics. I bought a few of them, and we did a few on each topic. In fact, I still pull them out during winter break and such for some fun art projects occasionally. 

Mystery Science was our science lifesaver this year.  The kids loved it (I used it primarily for my first grader, but the fourth grader tagged along and actually got a lot out of it.)  The experiments were simple but effective and the materials were all normal household items.  We paired it with library books and it was a great, simple year with good retention.

Looking for ideas. I think we'd prefer something that has multiple topics rather than just Biology, or just Chemistry, etc. We are Christian but old earth. Experiments/demonstrations are nice, but I don't want to be doing complex ones all the time....I've got a total of 4 kids, one of them is a newborn, and then an active puppy on top of that, lol. Simple, open and go, etc. 

So far I've got Behold and See from CHC on my list, but that's about it, lol. 

Oh..and we watch a nature or science documentary almost every night before bed, and have a membership to our local science museum and bird of prey center and zoo, so she gets lots of other science stuff. And we follow our interests a lot. I just want something to cover the basics, make sure she gets the basic vocabulary, etc. 

We are the same way!  My kids get so bored(and so do I!) with a topic a year.  This is where I think  homeschool resources fail.  There should be more integrated sciences for the younger ages.

So, this year we did Mystery Science with notebooking.  I did a loose outline for the year.  I chose 1 topic for the month and just picked library books and notebooking around the monthly theme. We also watch BrainPop and the Happy Scientist videos.

I bought Memoria Press Mammals for ds9 for next year.  I also have Arthropods from TG&TB http://www.jennyphillips.com/science/

I'm sure we'll have to make some changes by Christmas. Animals are his favorite, so maybe not. :)

Edited by rjand6more