Menu

"Filler" words/phrases on NPR

Janie Grace

But comma-so is not the same as so-comma.

"What are your projections for the next fiscal year?"

"So, we estimate..."

"What skills would you bring to the position?"

"So, my experience in..."

Maybe not quite as bad as "Okay, so..", but it still annoys me in what's supposed to be professional/formal communication.

(I don't care about informal communication.  I still start incomplete sentences with "Dude,")

Geez, I can't even use a filler word correctly!  :lol:

• Like 2

Not mine, but DH's. :)

If you're in DC at some point and want a tour of NPR, we can help set you up. They do public tours weekly, but DH sometimes helps set up tours for homeschool groups that are more personal. If there's enough interest on a given day. The new NPR building is very cool, and if you listen to NPR it's worthwhile!

I do think it's funny when I'm listening to a news program, and DH walks in and says, "How's Dave today?" (Or whoever) I don't get a lot of personal time so I listen to news while I shower and get ready, so it feels weird! I forget that he knows a lot of these people.

OH MY!!! I'm swooning. I now have to figure out a way to make a trip to DC, lol!  Total NPR fangirl here! (and after the coffee thread I feel confident we could drink espresso and related drinks and talk NPR, lol.)

SaveSave

• Like 4

OH MY!!! I'm swooning. I now have to figure out a way to make a trip to DC, lol! Total NPR fangirl here! (and after the coffee thread I feel confident we could drink espresso and related drinks and talk NPR, lol.)

Save

Save

We'll combine it with a coffee tour! :D Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

My peeve is im watching the 10 o'clock news and the guy or gal says, "now take a look at this!" Or "just wait til you watch this!" Or can you believe this?!

Ugh. I'm already watching. You don't need to tell me.

And if you have to ask if your reporting is believable maybe do better at reporting necessary facts.

The radio thing that drives me crazy is when they talk about a reporter "on the ground" in X place.  Tell me if he's not on the ground - if you tell me he is in Russia r wherever, I'm assuming he's on the ground.  It's totally redundant and I they seem to think it sounds hard-core somehow.

• Like 1

The radio thing that drives me crazy is when they talk about a reporter "on the ground" in X place.  Tell me if he's not on the ground - if you tell me he is in Russia r wherever, I'm assuming he's on the ground.  It's totally redundant and I they seem to think it sounds hard-core somehow.

This made me LOL. So true!  :lol:

• Like 1

Not mine, but DH's. :)

If you're in DC at some point and want a tour of NPR, we can help set you up. They do public tours weekly, but DH sometimes helps set up tours for homeschool groups that are more personal. If there's enough interest on a given day. The new NPR building is very cool, and if you listen to NPR it's worthwhile!

I do think it's funny when I'm listening to a news program, and DH walks in and says, "How's Dave today?" (Or whoever) I don't get a lot of personal time so I listen to news while I shower and get ready, so it feels weird! I forget that he knows a lot of these people.

This is so cool.  What an awesome job. 

I love NPR. 

• Like 1