Menu

How much math does a PT assistant need?

My teen mentee is on track to go to CC and do a EMT license in the fall, but is also thinking long term that she would like to do something to help kids with sports the way cheerleading and swimming have helped her. She was thinking PT, but I think she'd have a hard time with her LD issues with PT, so I was wondering if there was some assistant track that would be a better fit? Or is there some sort of sports therapy program (that isn't on top of being a PE teacher, like Adaptive PE would be?)

The PTA program at a CC in my area requires completion of 2 semesters of A&P (same sequence as the nursing students take so not easy) and completion of the IGETC general ed requirements for transfer to the Cal State/UC systems. I get the impression that the CC has chosen to make it the first step towards a bachelor's in Kinesiology and eventually a DPT.

Recreational Therapy might be an option for her to explore. UT-Knoxville has a bachelor's in it and they could probably tell her which CC courses would transfer into it.

• Like 1

In TN, there are set transfer paths, so there should be one. UTK is the hardest campus to get into as a transfer, though. Most of the other campuses have guaranteed admission for students who complete the transfer path with X GPA (depends on major, but usually somewhere between a 2.5 and 3.0). UT is competitive for anyone. I'll check to see if any of the other schools do, though. U Memphis has a lot of allied health fields.

In our area we have technical colleges that have programs that would suit a student like that. So if you have a college like that, you'd just go, see what they offer, a pick. Also, your friend might be well-advised to talk with their career counseling dept. My dd did testing this year for it and got good advice. The technical college with the programs that suit the dc probably is really good at advising their students on how to choose. Even just the basic domains of career testing could be really useful information to help the friend choose. (domain areas like entrepreneurial, social, realistic, etc.)

My local community college requires either Basic Statistics or Intermediate Algebra (basically the equivalent of high school Algebra II) for admission into the PTA program. It also requires 1 semester of Biology and 1 semester of Anatomy & Physiology, plus a few other gen eds, prior to program admission. It is a competitive program, but I'm not sure what the average GPA of accepted students is. It doesn't look at all like they are aiming to prepare students for later admission into a DPT program. Historically, this has been the case- preparation to be a PTA is its own track, not beginning studies for PT- though, at times, PTAs have gone on to become PTs.

I, too, would encourage this young person to talk to the career counselors at the CC. They'll be able to help her sort out what might work best as a career track. With the associate degree programs, sometimes students with LDs take only one or two classes at a time so they can spend more time on each class. This will work for the pre-req classes in a program like PTA, but the program itself is full-time. Still part-time attendance could be a good way to ease into college level studies.

Edited by Tokyomarie
  • Like 1

The PTA program at a CC in my area requires completion of 2 semesters of A&P (same sequence as the nursing students take so not easy) and completion of the IGETC general ed requirements for transfer to the Cal State/UC systems. I get the impression that the CC has chosen to make it the first step towards a bachelor's in Kinesiology and eventually a DPT.

Ours is the same (2 semesters of A&P); I think that's probably standard for a program that ends in certification as a licensed physical therapy assistant. 

The only math is Contemporary Mathematics, which is definitely a math for liberal arts majors, lol. 

There are 29 hours of pre reqs, including the above, and 43 hours specific to the program.

They also have a program for occupational therapy assistant, which would have a lot of crossover interest. 

Being an actual physical therapist requires a much more horrifying level of math. 

A&P i could see potentially being easier for this kid than Algebra 1. She's very visual and good at memorizing. I really think that math is going to be the bottleneck for most fields. I can see her being really good at something working with and helping people. She just needs to find a route to get there. Ideally one that pays enough that she can be self-supporting.

She may also want to look into Occupational Therapy Assistant OTA programs. They often work in similar locations, similar clients. Here the PTA program has a data collection class. OTA has no no math required for the OTA coursework. They both require math as general coursework needed for the associates degree.

Editted to add: Correction, I am not sure if additonal math is necessary for these associate degrees. There are no math classes listed on degree plan for OTA here. It might be something to check into. http://www.lonestar.edu/occupational-therapy-aas.htm They get paid a little more than PTAs as well.

Edited by Silver Brook