Menu

My summer isn't going to go the way I planned.

mom2scouts

We usually take off all summer from any sort of formal schoolwork. I try to add in some fun educational things and some camps, but we're much more relaxed. We really need a break from formal schoolwork because we're all suffering burnout, but ds14 needs to finish a few high school subjects. The problem is that ds needs knee surgery and he's not going to be able to do many of the activities I had hoped to do this summer. I've been making a list of fun, active family activities I wanted to do, but now camp, hikes, family bike trips, swimming are pretty much out for the summer. I know we can probably still visit zoos or museums because they're usually handicap accessible and we can get a wheelchair, but can anyone give me some other inexpensive summer activities we can do now that my family hiking/biking summer can't happen? :sad:

It's just one summer of limited mobility. No biggie! Some activities can indeed easily be modified for a wheelchair, but maybe this is a summer where you pick a shower pace or more projects, or even do a bunch of school and save your vacation time for the fall when he is healed?

It's just one summer of limited mobility. No biggie! Some activities can indeed easily be modified for a wheelchair, but maybe this is a summer where you pick a shower pace or more projects, or even do a bunch of school and save your vacation time for the fall when he is healed?

This! I would delay summer until he is healed up. Would everyone be on board with getting some school done now in order to all have fun later?
  • Like 1

He might be able to swim as they're hoping for an immobilizer instead of a cast. There is a swimming lake that's not really crowded like all the pools (where the knee might get kicked) if I can get him into the lake. Do you think that might be too risky for infection? I'll check out the parks and see if I can find accessible trails. I wonder if there's some ranger guided walks on accessible trails? We do have a minor league team nearby and haven't been to a game in years.

I didn't really think about taking a short break and then doing some of our new schoolwork with the promise of fall fun. Maybe we'll get a start on our history or literature reading or do some science or art on our deck.

I really think that's the best option - plus it will make the rest of your fall and winter fly by with it seeming so short because of the later break.

We are homeschoolers - we get to make whatever schedule fits our live situations at the time. Yours just for a little weird and unlike a brick and mortar schooler you can *adjust* so it works and doesn't stink. Isn't that amazing?! It's like my third favorite aspect of being a home educator, along with waking up late and picking the programs I want to teach :p

Is an immobilizer something that leaves holes in the skin? No way in the world I'd be swimming in a lake with openings in the skin. I would hit a pool but go at low traffic times. My ds has autism, and I don't take him mid-day. We go to the Y instead of the public pool, and we'll do like 3-5pm, times when it's still warm but not nearly so crowded. 

Sorry it's gonna be rough and different! If he's having surgery, can you talk with the hospital social worker for ideas? 

• Like 1

I didn't really think about taking a short break and then doing some of our new schoolwork with the promise of fall fun. Maybe we'll get a start on our history or literature reading or do some science or art on our deck.

We've always schooled year round, so I'm cool with that. If you promise fall more free, do you have a guarantee? Like are you *certain* the healing with be done? Or is it one of those things that sorta heals when it heals? 

Instead of doing a full schedule, I would do a partial schedule and then take a nice vacation in the fall when the ugh is done. We always take trips in the fall anyway because of dh's work. I wouldn't plan off 3 months in the fall, but a couple weeks to prep for vacation, go on vacation, etc., that could be cool. 

How old is the dc? We really like doing our work in a tent in the summer. Like you can shake things up. He might have some PT or other things you have to work around. He might like to take up an instrument or do art. He could probably do ok at summer camps (day camps) if they do them in your area. Around here I can find day camps to keep my ds busy all summer if I want. Art, chess, legos, you name it.

You know what would be REALLY cool... Instead of doing too much school, bring in tutors and do your own camp. :D Like find somebody to come tutor him in chess each week, an art person to teach him watercolor, etc. Then he'd finish the summer with a bunch of awesome new skills. :D

• Like 2

No, an immobilizer just keeps the knee straight like a cast, but it can be taken off. I'm just wondering about the incision from the surgery. The pools around here are insanely crowded all the time! They all close in mid-August (the hottest time of year) when the schools open. :glare:

Somehow I doubt fall and winter will ever seem to fly by, but I guess we can try it. :laugh: The only things that concern me about a fall break is the likelihood of cold, rainy weather then and the fact that all extracurricular activities and even homeschool activities in my area are based on public school schedules. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I would just play it up. Art lessons, lego camp, chess software, there's tons he can do to keep busy. And then just do like an hour a day of academics, just enough to keep his brain hopping. 

Maybe also some handicrafts like whittling or leather working. 

What is he allowed to do physically with the immobilizer on? Hang gliding? :D

PS. If he scouts, can he work ahead on badges? 

SaveSave

Edited by OhElizabeth