Menu

Dead bees

emmaluv+2more

This is the second spring/summer I've been in this particular house. I noticed last year that bees tend to die on my driveway. Throughout the season I would sporadically find 2-3 dead bees at a time. I definitely took note, but didn't think too much about it.

Already this year I am seeing this in greater numbers. Right now there are approximately 20 dead bees out there and I have noted (and recorded) 2 bees who were actively dying. They were unable to fly and just wandered aimlessly about. I kept my eye on the first one over the course of a few hours and it definitely got progressively worse until the bee died. I ended up putting the second out of its misery (please don't judge as I'm pretty upset about this whole thing).

I know nothing of bees, but these appear to be several different kinds (they don't all look alike).

I've googled and not found much that sounded correct. I'm not seeing this on neighbors' driveways or surrounding sidewalks. We don't use pesticides.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? Is there an agency I should contact? Any ideas at all?

Thanks for the ideas regarding who to contact.

I thought about the light thing and I do have one of the few lampposts on my street at the next of my driveway, but the two I witnessed today happened late morning and early evening, so maybe that explanation doesn't fit? I suppose they could still have been lost and tired from a day of searching, but why always on MY driveway?

The whole thing saddens me, but I'm also really interested in figuring out the mystery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide_toxicity_to_bees

Try the link above.

I've been finding dead and dying bees on our driveway as well. DIL says it is because someone has been spraying pesticides in the nearby range of the bees. I think it is most likely one listed in my link...neonicotinoids. 

How can we encourage people to stop using this poison? Community activism? 

I keep seeing various headlines about the dying bees, ranging from "not as bad as you think" to "it's worse than you think."

Read your labels, people. Deal with annoying pests and find alternative means to handle it.

• Like 3

I've had a few people irl snicker at me for being so concerned. This kind of feels like a big deal to me. I want to do something if I can.

Anyone who snickers at you is an idiot who obviously doesn't understand how crucial pollinators are.

Do you have flowers in your yard for them to stop at? You could plant a small bee garden and see if that helps.

• Like 7

I'm wondering how the other wildlife in your area is doing?  Do you have frogs and birds?  

Are you sure it's just your driveway?  

Are you close to any large manufacturing places that could be dumping toxins?  Or maybe there's runoff in a nearby field, and the flowers that are growing there are contaminated?

I would also be alarmed.  

• Like 1

Check to see if you have a beekeeping association in your area. Google search or the Extension/Master Gardeners in your area should be able to help you find one. They can tell you what kind of bees and possibly what the cause(s) might be. 

I'm a beekeeper. Honeybees are dying in massive numbers, as are many native bees/pollinators. Loss of habitat (a green lawn might as well be concrete as far as pollinators are concerned) and pesticides are two of the main reasons. I've lost at least half my hives the last three years, and I use no pesticides either (but they are everywhere else). 

The people who poo-poo this issue are f*^*ing clueless. The commercial beekeepers - the ones who cart bees all over the country ensuring the apples/pears/peaches/almonds/etc/etc/etc all get pollinated - had a 44% overall loss ratio last year. Meaning 44% of their hives died. The year before it was a 40% loss ratio. ("Sustainable" loss ratio is considered to be 18-19%.) The 7 or 8 years before that were ~ a 30% loss ration for each year.

I'm so fed up with this basic assumption that it doesn't matter what happens to every other life form on the planet because somehow it will never affect us. 

Plant flowers, particularly ones that flower all summer or in late summer/early autumn when there is a dearth of nectar. Encourage people to stop spraying their lawns, especially when they never spend time on them anyway. It's important. 

• Like 11

Check to see if you have a beekeeping association in your area. Google search or the Extension/Master Gardeners in your area should be able to help you find one. They can tell you what kind of bees and possibly what the cause(s) might be.

I'm a beekeeper. Honeybees are dying in massive numbers, as are many native bees/pollinators. Loss of habitat (a green lawn might as well be concrete as far as pollinators are concerned) and pesticides are two of the main reasons. I've lost at least half my hives the last three years, and I use no pesticides either (but they are everywhere else).

The people who poo-poo this issue are f*^*ing clueless. The commercial beekeepers - the ones who cart bees all over the country ensuring the apples/pears/peaches/almonds/etc/etc/etc all get pollinated - had a 44% overall loss ratio last year. Meaning 44% of their hives died. The year before it was a 40% loss ratio. ("Sustainable" loss ratio is considered to be 18-19%.) The 7 or 8 years before that were ~ a 30% loss ration for each year.

I'm so fed up with this basic assumption that it doesn't matter what happens to every other life form on the planet because somehow it will never affect us.

Plant flowers, particularly ones that flower all summer or in late summer/early autumn when there is a dearth of nectar. Encourage people to stop spraying their lawns, especially when they never spend time on them anyway. It's important.

Another beekeeper here, and I agree with every word of this post.

One detail I'd add is that hiring private contractors to spray for mosquitoes is a harmful practice.

Municipal spray programs are dangerous, yes; but local bee clubs in our area at least usually get notice of spray times and can take measures to protect our bees. It's not perfect, but it helps.

But if homeowners dotted around the region hire private spray crews, we have no way to protect the bees which visit their yards.

I know the mosquitoes are a valid problem, too, especially in areas with Zika concerns.

Edited by Innisfree

I have contacted our county extension as well as the local master gardener group. So far I've just been rerouted.

I do have flowers, but I'm not sure how bee friendly they are. I love gardening so could definitely plant more.

I live on a 1/2 acre lot with a sizable creek running through the backyard. We have quite a bit of wildlife. It is not unusual to see deer or fox, and our residents include owls, frogs, squirrels, rabbits, muskrats, beaver, and a large variety of birds. Carpenter bees, wasps, yellow jackets, etc don't seem to be bothered, only the smaller bees. They do seem to be concentrated around the lamppost I mentioned earlier and I noticed that "my" lamppost comes on earlier than the rest.

• Like 3