Menu

Documentaries on sugar?

busymama7

I am getting push back from dh and my teens while trying to reduce our sugar intake. Well actually, my dh supports banning candy but is not worried about the sugar in foods (drenches pancakes in tons of pancake syrup. Stuff like that)

I would rather eliminate or reduce drastically those sugars and allow a piece of candy here and there.

I am thinking about watching a few docs with everyone but I can't remember any. If it's crazy boring I will lose them. We have both Netflix and Amazon Prime

Edited by busymama7

Nope. But don't books too? They all are sure their way is "the way".

Lots of diet books are like that, yes, but you can also find good scientific stuff.  Not so much with food documentaries though, even the best seem to be pretty one-sided.

Lots of diet books are like that, yes, but you can also find good scientific stuff. Not so much with food documentaries though, even the best seem to be pretty one-sided.

Yeah there is no way. They don't care. I've read a ton and feel I have a good handle on what direction I need. But they are humoring me (at best) because they don't believe it for themselves. I do purchase and prepare most of the food so I have that going for me. I would like them to "get it" at least a little bit.

• Like 1

If you're preparing most of their meals how often are they getting too much sugar? Is this something you can accomplish with a gradual reduction that they're unlikely to register? You won't likely stop them from using too much syrup, but if you only make pancakes once a month their opportunities are reduced. Are they adding too much sugar to their drinks? I cook a lot and most of my recipes don't have sugar, but I don't bake that often. I'm not interested in completely eliminating sugar or ever buying sugar substitutes, but we don't have big sweet tooths in my house either. I'm not sure HOW I'd go about taming a sugar fiend.

• Like 1

If you're preparing most of their meals how often are they getting too much sugar? Is this something you can accomplish with a gradual reduction that they're unlikely to register? You won't likely stop them from using too much syrup, but if you only make pancakes once a month their opportunities are reduced. Are they adding too much sugar to their drinks? I cook a lot and most of my recipes don't have sugar, but I don't bake that often. I'm not interested in completely eliminating sugar or ever buying sugar substitutes, but we don't have big sweet tooths in my house either. I'm not sure HOW I'd go about taming a sugar fiend.

I have been slowly reducing it and many things they don't notice. But they have SO much access to it outside the house that it's really difficult to change their tastes. And I haven't been successful at getting rid of everything. Today one of the teens made a face and tried to get rid of his sandwich when he realized the jam I made didn't have sugar. I asked him to not say things like that I'm front of the littles because they were gobbling it up. I would just like them to realize the gravity of the sugar problem so they can start to make better choices themselves. And so they will understand where I'm coming from and maybe complain less :). I think they think it's only bad for me (I'm overweight) or that exaggerating when I tell them how bad soda is for them. Things like that. Edited by busymama7

"Sugar: The Bitter Truth" produced by the University of California's Osher Center for Integrated Medicine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

This is long and I haven't watched the whole thing but I did watch another of his speeches (something about an elephant in the room) and it was really good. Is he well respected? Trying to figure out if there are people out there saying his view is wrong (I know the plant based people are sure he's wrong)