Menu

Help me make this special (baptism/restaurant)

ktgrok

And no, she's not being baptized in a restaurant, lol!

But, we are having her baptized on June 2nd, at 1:15pm. I'd planned to have people back to the house like I always do for these, with white cupcakes with little crosses on them, napkins that match, punch, tea sandwiches, cookies, fruit, etc. 

But...we are remodeling a bathroom due to a sewage leak and other issues, so DH REALLY doesn't want to do it at the house. I thought about a park, but it is June in Florida midday. It would be miserably hot. So we are going to go to a restaurant afterwards. 

DH works for Darden restaurants in IT, and gets a discount, and there is a Bahama Breeze near the church, so that's the plan. Maybe eat outside (shade, fans) if it isn't miserable. Guests will be me and DH, our 4 kids, my mom and dad, my sister and her two kids, and the godfather and his wife. It won't be a meal time, which is weird, but I figure people can have appetizers, drinks, desserts, late lunch, whatever. It's just to have time to catch up with everyone as we don't see them all the time. 

This should work, but....how do I make it special? I have good memories of the little parties I did with the other kids. Maybe a favor of some kind to give out? I can ask if I can bring a cake, but is that weird? Cupcakes are preferred by the kids but that seems pushing it, to bring in outside cupcakes...cakes are more common I think. Any other ideas??

Edited to Add: We JUST had a Party City open by me, and I'd been so excited to buy all the little plates, napkins, etc with crosses on them and such. And make punch. Sigh. I told my husband that DD's first communion celebration WILL be at the house so I can have that stuff!!!!!!!  (also, I'm emotional because this is the LAST baptism..gulp.)

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

Any community spaces you can rent? Or maybe hold it at your sister's or mom's? Then you can bring in anything you want.

I had an issue trying to find a place that would allow me to bring a gluten free cake for us and my parents. We would be buying 8 meals and they don't even offer a single gluten free dessert option, and they wanted to charge $3 each for the privilege of bringing my own.

Any community spaces you can rent? Or maybe hold it at your sister's or mom's? Then you can bring in anything you want.

I had an issue trying to find a place that would allow me to bring a gluten free cake for us and my parents. We would be buying 8 meals and they don't even offer a single gluten free dessert option, and they wanted to charge $3 each for the privilege of bringing my own.

My sister's house is 45 minutes away, and my parents is over an hour :(

I wonder what it would cost to rent a space at the church?? Good question!

I don't think there is a measurable difference between a cake and cupcake.  I had a good friend who had her birthday every year at X restaurant, and every year her mom brought a homemade cake.  I would simply call and ask the restaurant.  You can also ask if they provide or if you can bring in sparkling apple juice for the kids.  They could charge you a corking fee and serve it to you and the kids in fancy glasses, etc.  

You could also consider preordering the food, an assortment of appetizers and such so that the guests can just sit back and relax.  It may be hard for the restaurant to organize how to serve a mix of appetizers, actual meals, and desserts.  

Congratulations!

• Like 1

I'd either do the parish hall, or find a restaurant that will let you reserve a private room, decorate it and bring in cake/cupcakes. As suggested above, pre-order a selection of appetizers from the restaurant (so they know you'll be spending $$), then have guests order drinks when you arrive.

I remember you discussing baptism in another thread, but don't remember what the outcome was... baptism included in Mass or not? That may or may not affect how hungry people are afterwards :laugh: They may not eat beforehand and be ready for a late lunch.

I'd consider the restaurant as a place for a meal if everyone is starving. Otherwise, I'd consider asking to use the parish hall and just having something simple set up. You can probably give the parish a small fee/tip for the use.

Between our two kids we have done things both ways. We don't live near family but had baptisms done near the family's church rather than our regular one. For me personally the restaurant was a little stressful because of the ages of some of the attendees. Ds' godfather's grandchildren came and they were a bit of a handful. And ds was a baby so we hated going to restaurants at that stage. But I think once the food came out it was okay. You would have more privacy in the church hall if you're concerned about noise disrupting others. We just did a First Communion celebration at the most random place Lol. Our family was staying in a hotel and Mom can't go out easily and doesn't like to eat in public (she has Parkinson's). So we ended up bringing pizzas to the hotel and they let us use the lobby. It actually worked out perfectly.

If it's between mealtime that's even better as far as asking the restaurant for special treatment.  I'd go ahead and call them and talk to them, and plan to order drinks and appetizers.  You can still use your baptism plates and such, and favors for the kids would be lovely. 

I see people having celebrations at restaurants all the time. You have 12 people coming which is a perfect number.  You're not asking them to jump through hoops for 4 people nor are you trying to hold a reception for 50.  Sounds lovely. 

No Mass :(  

It was supposed to be during the Mass, but they have a speaker scheduled that day that will only be in town then, so they asked to change it to the after Mass time. I had been torn when to do it anyway, so took that as a sign. 

I did just email the person in charge of baptisms to ask if there would be a room we could use for a small celebration afterwards. 

• Like 1

No Mass :(

It was supposed to be during the Mass, but they have a speaker scheduled that day that will only be in town then, so they asked to change it to the after Mass time. I had been torn when to do it anyway, so took that as a sign. 

I did just email the person in charge of baptisms to ask if there would be a room we could use for a small celebration afterwards. 

Don't be sad. I know you were torn so now you don't have to fret.

Depending on how hungry everyone is, I guess you could bring heavier food. Guess it depends on what is the easiest. Like you could bring your own food and store it in the church hall fridge probably.

I think the bakery sounds fun. But you should check with management at the restaurant. I have seen many that will allow bakery items brought in if other foods are being ordered due to not providing those kinds of desserts. This has been especially true of kid events. I have been to Applebees when a family had dinner then brought out birthday cake. The key is not home made. They will want the dessert to come from a licensed kitchen.

You could make some centerpieces for the tables. A baby photo in an acrylic dollar store frame surrounded by some simple silk flowers, with a cross, and maybe baby booties or socks. I have made them of photos with religious/baptism greeting cards including the ones from relatives and friends who can't attend and send ahead, as well as including Bible story books in the mix. Cheap lace fabric with a JoAnn coupon, cut into squares under the display makes it look extra special.