Menu

National board requiring more than state does

Hello there! I don't think I've posted on this board before but I have a homeschool graduate ('15) starting a two year program at a community college. For this program, she needs to be accepted by a national board in that field as well. That national board is requiring her to have a diploma /transcript from an accredited agency -- when that was not or is not required by our state's homeschool laws. She was dually enrolled at a state university and has been an A student for 2+ years, but they want that accredited diploma/transcript. The director of the CC program, a doctor, said she may have to get her GED but I do admittedly question that. I talked to the homeschool dept. at our state educational agency today and they agreed, she has done everything required and that should be enough (they told me to print the transcript, attach something showing how she's me the state subject requirements, and give their contact information for questions, which I'll do), but I wondered if you have any experience or additional advice?

Edited by milovany

Is it a cosmetology program? For some reason they refuse to acknowledge homeschoolers as being valid and legal. Every one that I know has had to get their GED in order to get their license.

ETA: my sister has told me that they have unsuccessfully fought this battle in radiology/nuc med tech field also.

Edited by CinV

As much as some don't like their politicos or methods, this is the type of situation that HSLDA is best for. They usually draft a letter, call, or both and make the national board see that a homeschool diploma is equivalent to an accredited one.

You can try with a letter of your own showing how the laws in your state treat a homeschool graduate the same as any other graduate. Quote laws, attach paperwork, and hope for the best.

Is it a cosmetology program? For some reason they refuse to acknowledge homeschoolers as being valid and legal. Every one that I know has had to get their GED in order to get their license.

No, but along those lines in that the national board has to approve her admittance into the program.  It is a science-based program and she's taken several college science classes and gotten A's in all of it, and she did well on the ACT (she had a mediocre math score, but took some college math to bring her up to speed and aced that, too).  She's also taken all the math and writing required by the program, in addition to the extra science, and done well in all of it.  I personally just don't get how meeting all state requirements isn't enough (I "get" that seeing mom's name on the diploma makes it seem unofficial, but it's not and she's proven herself).

As much as some don't like their politicos or methods, this is the type of situation that HSLDA is best for. They usually draft a letter, call, or both and make the national board see that a homeschool diploma is equivalent to an accredited one.

You can try with a letter of your own showing how the laws in your state treat a homeschool graduate the same as any other graduate. Quote laws, attach paperwork, and hope for the best.

Yes, I was checking out HSLDA again today.  We used to be members but let it lapse.  Do you know if I can join again for this purpose, or do you have to be with them for awhile before they'll do anything?  There's NO official problem yet -- just word of mouth that this national board hasn't accepted unaccredited homeschool diplomas through the program's department chair. 

One thing to look into if you still have her work is NARHS. They are accredited and if you can submit the work they need to see, I believe she could get an accredited diploma from them.

Thank you. I wondered about something like this. I checked it out and it's spendy for this one purpose ($445-$545), but might be the type of route we end up going if nothing else works.  I will also Google to see if our state has a similar program.  Thank you, again. 

• Like 2

I think this sort of thing happens all the time. They might help you for free or they might ask you to rejoin. I don't really know for sure.

You can certainly join now & then be able to call them in a couple weeks for help.  :coolgleamA:  I'd definitely make sure I had my paperwork - including trying to get an official letter from the state education people saying what the law is in your state & how homeschoolers who meet X requirements have a substantially equivalent diploma/education. (I don't know what the exact wording would be.)

One thing to look into if you still have her work is NARHS. They are accredited and if you can submit the work they need to see, I believe she could get an accredited diploma from them.

Thank you. I wondered about something like this. I checked it out and it's spendy for this one purpose ($445-$545), but might be the type of route we end up going if nothing else works.  I will also Google to see if our state has a similar program.  Thank you, again. 

NARHS would work, I think.  They are nationwide; it's not by state.  

My friend recently got her dd an accredited diploma from them retroactively.  Her dd wanted to go to Berklee College of Music.  She didn't even get accepted.  Yes, it's hard to get in but she was a very strong candidate.  Her mom found out it was because she didn't have the *&% accredited high school diploma.  Her TWO AA degrees done while a DE student didn't matter.  She paid for the NARHS diploma, and this year her dd got in with a big scholarship.  Apparently that was, in fact, the sticking point.   Yay, but what stupid box-checking.

And I know this mom doesn't mess around with stupid box-checking; she managed to get her other kid into UMass Amherst without an accredited diploma years before they stopped requiring the GED for kids in that situation.  Still not sure how she did that.  But she's pretty good at getting stupid admin boxes waived... sometimes bureaucrats can't be budged and you have to work around them...

• Like 1

Well, it looks like I might just have her do the GED. Far less expensive than NARHS and other similar options, plus far less busywork on both our parts. We'll see. Thanks to everyone for your replies!